fed up and need a moan!

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who value money over family/friendsip
Firstly sorry in advance, I know there are so many people out there who have in tons worse than me but I just need to have a moan and blow off some steam to those who "get it" I don't really have any one to talk to about my diabetes, my partner refuses to listen to anything related to it as he says he's sick of hearing about it :(

I've been diagnosed 2 months now, though in hindsight probably had high bgs for well over a year as I had all the symptoms, should have picked it up really as had gestational diabetes 10 years ago and was told at time I may get it in "later life" well I don't consider 33 as later life lol! Guess I was still under the illusion I was gonna defy nature and live forever :p

Had an eye test yesterday as eyesight is absolutely awful now, very blurry and been having to wear my reading glasses all the time, but we're hurting my face. Right eye was quite alot worse than when tested last year, but when he covered my right to test the left I was so shocked I could hardly see a thing! Not even the big letters at the top of the chart. Optician tried lens after lens but gave up and asked me to come back for eye drops so he can examine back of eye :/ quite worried what he will find :(

I've adjusted my diet cutting carbs alot, and eating less in general, was put on 2g metformin and 160mg gliclazide from start but doesn't seem to have much effect. My numbers are nearly always in double figures 10-15 normally only dipping below if I skip lunch entirely :/ somehow I've managed to gain over a stone in weight in those 2 months. Am now over 18 stone and at 5" 3" that is shocking ! My energy levels are rock bottom, it takes all I can muster just to get through the day. Today has been particularly bad, I've barely been able to sit up in bed for more than 20 mins at a time because I feel so sleepy, weak and dizzy. Bgs been very high all day. Had tests for numerous things including iron levels, thyroid, hepatitis etc. Got an appointment next week to be referred to sleep clinic as my partner says I snore terribly and stop breathing in my sleep, then make a choking noise, all the symptoms of sleep apnoea :/

Tried to contact my diabetic nurse today as I feel I need a medication review or something but she didn't ring back and no appointments :(

Bleh, end of rant, hopefully tomorrow will be brighter :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As you are aware your blood sugar is far too nigh and doing harm. Your weight really is also too high. Have you set yourself a daily carb limit? It's a good discipline. Before insulin I aimed for 150gm/day or less. As and when your weight /BMI comes into the right area it will be easier for the GP to decide what med changes are needed. Insulin is not the best solution if you are insulin resistant. You may want to suggest something like Victoza to your GP as it's often prescribed for those who are overweight and failing to get good blood sugar control

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly sorry in advance, I know there are so many people out there who have in tons worse than me but I just need to have a moan and blow off some steam to those who "get it" I don't really have any one to talk to about my diabetes, my partner refuses to listen to anything related to it as he says he's sick of hearing about it :(

I've been diagnosed 2 months now, though in hindsight probably had high bgs for well over a year as I had all the symptoms, should have picked it up really as had gestational diabetes 10 years ago and was told at time I may get it in "later life" well I don't consider 33 as later life lol! Guess I was still under the illusion I was gonna defy nature and live forever :p

Had an eye test yesterday as eyesight is absolutely awful now, very blurry and been having to wear my reading glasses all the time, but we're hurting my face. Right eye was quite alot worse than when tested last year, but when he covered my right to test the left I was so shocked I could hardly see a thing! Not even the big letters at the top of the chart. Optician tried lens after lens but gave up and asked me to come back for eye drops so he can examine back of eye :/ quite worried what he will find :(

I've adjusted my diet cutting carbs alot, and eating less in general, was put on 2g metformin and 160mg gliclazide from start but doesn't seem to have much effect. My numbers are nearly always in double figures 10-15 normally only dipping below if I skip lunch entirely :/ somehow I've managed to gain over a stone in weight in those 2 months. Am now over 18 stone and at 5" 3" that is shocking ! My energy levels are rock bottom, it takes all I can muster just to get through the day. Today has been particularly bad, I've barely been able to sit up in bed for more than 20 mins at a time because I feel so sleepy, weak and dizzy. Bgs been very high all day. Had tests for numerous things including iron levels, thyroid, hepatitis etc. Got an appointment next week to be referred to sleep clinic as my partner says I snore terribly and stop breathing in my sleep, then make a choking noise, all the symptoms of sleep apnoea :/

Tried to contact my diabetic nurse today as I feel I need a medication review or something but she didn't ring back and no appointments :(

Bleh, end of rant, hopefully tomorrow will be brighter :)
Firstly, do you really want to share your life with someone who refuses the support you need?

Secondly, I am an advocate of a strict LCHF diet as it works better than any medicine. Have you tried it? It can work wonders on both weight and bg.

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Sunday. Sorry life is so rotten for you at the moment. My eyesight was terrible at Christmas due to high bg level. An eye test last week revealed a decent improvement due to better bg control. Hope this happens for you too.

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope you feel better for getting it off your chest. My eye sight was terrible last year when my blood sugars were in the 20's / 30's - but now my bloods are normal between 4 - 6 - and my eyesight is so much better. I don't low carb - far from it - but I've been walking as exercise since 09/01 and never felt better. If you think you might benefit from a different medication then speak to your Dr about Forxiga - it is a new tablet medication which can reduce blood sugars by taking the glucose out of your body through your urine. It is meant to help with weight loss as well, but I can't say it's speeded mine up from when I wasn't taking it - but it could help you. Just take it one day at a time and you will start to see improvements.

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks all for your replies, it means so much just to share with people who understand <3

I desperately want to do something about my weight, I have for a long time, was doing well with slimming world before I started feeling I'll last year and had bought a treadmill (felt self conscious in public) and completed the nhs couch to 5k running programme which I really enjoyed, also swam regularly. I think I found food the most overwhelming think about my diagnosis, much more complicated than I ever imagined, I thought it would just be cut out sugar!

At the moment I'm using myfitnesspal to track what I eat and have experimented with carbs from 50g - 200g. I've settled on around 100g for now, and am testing different foods to see which I can tolerate, been some surprises! Cous cous is one of my favourites is awful I might as well eat pure sugar it spikes me so much lol

Doctor is going to run some more blood tests as felt so overwhelmingly tired and ill today.

I had a look at lchf diet, seems many have had good success with it, however there's no way I could do it at the moment as have gallstones and even very small amounts of fat set the pain off.

I'm quite interested in victosa treatment, will see what they suggest when next see nurse :)

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Regards my partner, he's normally pretty caring when I'm I'll, I suppose this is different as its not something to be "fixed", rather something to be managed. He can be a bit of a stubborn so and so, I'm going to try backing off from asking him to read about it and understand, hopefully if I do he'll come round in his own time, I'll just have to see how things go :)

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd definately ask about changing your meds as Glic is notorious for causing weight gain, but congrats on all the chages you have made. I'm just reaching my 1st anniversary of diagnosis and my BG's still aren't down to a level both me and my DN are happy with, but they are heading in the right direction. I know how disheartning it can be when you think that you're doing all the right things but your levels are still high. If you're trying to lose weight don't think of LCHF as "high fat" but as not buying all the "low fat" food in the supermarket, generally when they take the fat out sugar is added to make it taste nice! Whole yoghurts, double cream and butter can be your friends in moderation, if your label checking look at the total carb amount, not just the sugar bit. Good luck in your journey on this path and use the forum as the wonderful resource it is.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sunday! Gall bladder problems like stones are common when you have been avoiding fat for a while as the bile will pool and form stones instead of the free flow you get with more fat in the diet. It often resolves itself when you start adding fat to your diet but you may want to up your fat intake slowly.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi Sunday, hope you re feeling better now.

You are doing all the right things.
I can't run but I do at least 5km every day on my exercise bike now . ( been doing 5x50 challenge). It has made me feel so much better and I've challenged some friends to do 30mins exercise for 42 days starting 19th May so if you want to join in feel free.

I try to stick to 100/120g carbs , I too love cous cous but its a big noooo and not worth feeling rotten.

I also do my fitness pal and it helps to keep me on track.

Keep going x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CarlG

"Right eye was quite alot worse than when tested last year"
I wouldn't worry too much at this point unless he actually finds something in a retina scan. You've only been diagnosed for a couple of months and seem to have taken dramatic steps. Maybe you were even a lot higher a year ago, without knowing?

Afaik eye "problems" are normal during the time you're adjusting to new levels (which doesn't happen overnight). If you absolutely need new glasses during this period (in order to function, drive etc), go for the cheapest ones, as they may not serve you long enough to warrant an expensive purchase and you have to upgrade again when you manage to get it well controlled.

Please inform your "glasses guy" that you're diabetic, and be honest about how well you think you are in control. I misunderstood and told him "yes, I'm in full control", because my levels were dropping fairly quickly (which I failed to mention, lol). So, guess I'm off again for some new glasses :D

Also, age will make eyes gradually worse. How fast, or when, varies with everyone I guess.