Hi, doe's anyone know if antibiotics and pain releif medication has any effect on blood sugars?

1103andrewb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being single after losing my wife to cancer last year xxx
Hi, doe's anyone know if antibiotics and pain relief medication has any effect on blood sugars?

Reactions: 2 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Not,sure about the antibiotics but the infection that they a fighting most certainly will temporarily increase BGs.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Reactions: 3 people

1103andrewb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks, that explains the 13.2 reading yesterday, got it under control again now.

Reactions: 2 people

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The infection requiring the antibiotics can raise your blood sugar but so can the antibiotics. It will vary from person to person though.

Tigerkitty1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, doe's anyone know if antibiotics and pain relief medication has any effect on blood sugars?

I sure it does, I was steadily losing some weight on metformin until had an infection ( uti) as soon as I took the antibiotics I felt better and started feeling hungry again, nothing was working while I had the infection, I now feel that my tablets are working now I'm better

1103andrewb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything seems to be back to normal, although readings seem a little low for me. Must be the attempt at low carb diet. xx