Strange experience with Diabetes?

Charlotte.S

Administrator
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you got a diabetes story to share? We're looking for people who'd like to share any unusual stories about living with diabetes, for example:

- How your diet may have changed since being diagnosed
- Mis-diagnosis of diabetes or type confusion
- Strange side effects of medications that you were on
- The impact of diabetes on dating or relationships, Insulin pumps and sex
- Getting control of your diabetes against the odds
- An extraordinary experience caring for someone with diabetes
- Unusual reactions from people at work in relation to your diabetes
- Other people's reaction to diabetes
- Unexpected experiences with the DVLA or benefits system
- Relationship with your doctor and health care team
- Any other unusual experiences/stories that you'd like to share!

If you want to share your story, please email [email protected].

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you.

Charlotte x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What will you be using this information for?

Charlotte.S

Administrator
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
What will you be using this information for?
Hi Brunneria, thanks for your interest, we have had a couple of public health and lifestyle publications interested in using some real life unusual experiences with diabetes in order to create more awareness about the condition.

We would not do anything with the information without discussing it and with explicit prior consent hence we have asked that any stories could be sent via email rather than the public thread.

Please let me know if you have any other questions at all.

Charlotte x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why don't you spend some time reading the forum threads on this site (massive amount of material available), then write to the individuals and ask to use their story?

phyden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold callings
<<<<<<<boring nothing worth sharing im afraid
Hi, sorry you have nothing to report, I have found since becoming one of you I seem to have my life full, no time to stop and stare, plenty to do ok I got no one to talk with as well my friends moved away and well it is just a short phone call or the lady next door coming round as she has not heard me all day. But well I am up most morning at 5-30 am and sit on my chair and think waiting then check my BP , down stairs for my Blue berries and 7tablets
back to the bedroom for a ten mile bike ride, then time to look at my ghastly body and yes have a good laugh, well the Belly is just the same size but the arms and legs have shrunk, yes get the razor out and wonder if I should bother, well I mean I think I look better with the cream on than without
the bruising on my legs and my Eszma is going crackers so will need loads of cream and well by the time I vacate the bathroom it is getting on for 8-45
Yummy, Yummy it is breakfast Yes my two slices of my lovely brown cardboard called bread and I am having Sardines and ten grapes and another large mug of water. Watch the news, then have a hour on the computer, was the wash day, change the bedding, this knocks me up tends to get the old heart going. My god it is now time to get lunch. I always have it at 1-00 then a hour does, then back to the bike, walk down to the local shop .No Blueberries
1 hour playing my organ, I try to go on it every day as it keeps my fingers supple, I then prepare for the next meal, so well yes I have plenty to occupied me. Today I went shopping got some Strawberry's they are English real nice and 2boxes of Blue berries I freeze them so I always have them in as we only have one shop and well they do not stock a lot and today they was without.
Well I better close it is 10-30 and well all the pots need washing before I take my tablets and turn in.:D
Yours Phyden

Reactions: 8 people

Emma23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I do I guess, I currently do not have a type! Neither type 1 or 2, possibly MODY? No one can tell me! I have baffled the diabetes team lol but they know I need insulin! Weird! Xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
we have had a couple of public health and lifestyle publications interested in using some real life unusual experiences with diabetes in order to create more awareness about the condition.

Hi,
I have few stories for you... Though, you may have heard them before.?!! :p

porkys2.jpg

warlock_the_armageddon2.jpg

Image32.jpg

Reactions: 6 people

Petal56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Brunneria, thanks for your interest, we have had a couple of public health and lifestyle publications interested in using some real life unusual experiences with diabetes in order to create more awareness about the condition.

We would not do anything with the information without discussing it and with explicit prior consent hence we have asked that any stories could be sent via email rather than the public thread.

Please let me know if you have any other questions at all.

Charlotte x

Is anyone Type 1 and has coeliac decease? How hard do you find it?

Beth99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Greetings from down-under. Sorry, new member to this chatline from Palmerston North, NZ. Became a member of the global diabetic group in July 2006 at age 50 -- Type 2 like my mom. Went on Metformin but continued my lifestyle somewhat unchanged -- excepf for avoinding fruit juice and learning to biff the frosting off the custard square. After 7 years I was up to 2000mg of metformin a day plus a small dose of Glicazide and my gp started talking about more meds. To avoid eventual insulin dependency I asked for a brief reprieve while I tried to do the right thing. I immediately joined a gym and bought 2 books - The Power of Habit and The Fast Diet. Now 6 months later I am 2.5 stone lighter and have finally seen blood glucose levels in the normal zone. GP is very pleased and discontinued the glicazide 3 months ago, reduced the metformin to 1700mg this week. Last month I came down with a flu and reduced my excercise level. Two weeks ago I began experiencing aura and lip tingling associated with migraines. Don't often get the actual headaches but the aura were disturbing. Asked my gp if they could be metformin related but he didn't reply. Relieved to discover migraines are a side effect of metformin and although I never experienced them in the last 7 years, found out on line that this could be due to my changing metabolism and recent exercise reduction. I did go to my eye doc and the retinagraphy is fine so the aura is just aura. But it is disturbing while trying to work on-line etc. I have decided I will get back to the exercise level and see if I can't battle this through -- Ultimately I want to be a diet and exercise controlled diabetic! Anyone out there with similar experiences?? Cheers, Beth

Reactions: 4 people

KellyBu22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Mushrooms
Coffee
Ignorance
Racism
Bullying (any form)
I once ate a whole bag of chocolate buttons (can I add that I was 8 months pregnant and wouldn't do this normally) and my blood sugar was brilliant but after eating just two weetabix my blood sugar was 14.3.....

Anyone got any explanations???

Kelly M Lawton
[email protected]

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I once ate a whole bag of chocolate buttons (can I add that I was 8 months pregnant and wouldn't do this normally) and my blood sugar was brilliant but after eating just two weetabix my blood sugar was 14.3.....

Anyone got any explanations???

Kelly M Lawton
[email protected]

Yup - I would have the same reaction.

Fat slows down digestion and absorption of carbs.
There is fat in chocolate, but none in weetabix.

Also, we usually eat weetabix on an empty stomach - so it is digested quickly.
Did you eat the chocolate after other food? That would have slowed things down even more.

As a veteran chocolate binger (no offence, but you sound like a rank amateur, if a bag of chocolate buttons is your peak experience!) I can tell you that the creamier the choc, the better I used to tolerate it (galaxy better than dairy milk, better than manky Easter egg choc), but when I hit full blown diabetes I abruptly had to switch to 70% cocoa solids as my previously legendary tolerance vaporised.

I can now only cope with about 4 tiddly little squares before the sky falls on my head. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 people

KellyBu22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Mushrooms
Coffee
Ignorance
Racism
Bullying (any form)
I have always said that I don't have a sweet tooth but I have a mouth full of them. Chocolate is my nemesis and the only thing that I cannot stop eating. I can cut down fatty foods like burgers, bacon, pies etc but chocolate is like a necessity for me.

When I was first pregnant though I couldn't eat it for the first four months as it made me heave and then after the fourth month passed I suddenly craved it again. Now I'm different in that I love Easter egg chocolate and would much rather scoff a whole Easter egg that a bar of choccy.

I love galaxy bars but can't eat any Easter egg that isn't Cadburys (weirdly enough) and I also love anything strawberry and cherry flavoured.

I am a tad strange because I have a great love of chocolate but I can't abide anything chocolate flavoured such as chocolate milk, ice cream, pudding, mouse, hot chocolate drinks. Yukky. All of them. I can't stand anything like that but can scoff a bar of pure proper chocolate (like a dairy milk or galaxy) without even thinking about it it contemplating the consequences.

Kelly M Lawton
[email protected]

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds more like it.
A woman after my own heart!

The best thing about 70% cocoa solid choc is that you can't over indulge. Well, not too much...

Oh, and I no longer crave milk choc. It just doesn't have enough intensity of flavour.

Do you still test blood glucose? How do you tolerate choccie now?

KellyBu22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Mushrooms
Coffee
Ignorance
Racism
Bullying (any form)
Yeah I am testing now three times a day and doctor has just put me on slow release Metformin 1000mg x2 daily and gliclozide 80mg. She wants me to test for two weeks and the start novo rapid insulin before every meal. I was taking this when pregnant and it really worked well for me.

I can eat chocolate all day everyday if need be. It's awful because I also suffer from bipolar disorder and when this "spikes and kicks off" my mood can instantly change to up or down and therefore this interferes with my diabetes because I can either go ages without eating or sit and binge on anything and everything (mainly chocolate).

When I get that "taste requirement" and I know only chocolate will do it has to be a big fat deliciously tasting milk chocolate dairy milk. I love it.

Kelly M Lawton
[email protected]

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok here is a strange experience. I went on a course to learn Reiki. This is an esoteric healing technique. I am primarily rational in my outlook, evidence based, scientific, etc. But people had done Reiki on me and it made me feel better so I thought I would learn how to do it on myself. What happened was that my insulin correction factor (ISF) jumped overnight from 1:1.5 to nearly 1:3, the highest it has ever been before or since, and remained there for several weeks, dropping slowly to 1:2 for several months, which is about as good as it ever gets when I am super healthy. The other thing I did at the same time was stop caffeine cold turkey, no other health changes. Whether it was the caffeine or the Reiki, it was an incredibly dramatic overnight change with clear and consistent physical evidence.

I have wondered if what happened was a sudden reduction in my overall stress levels. Both the Reiki and the caffeine cessation could have contributed to that. But I think it was more the Reiki because I could reliably increase my ISF at any time just by doing a single treatment. Very strange.

Reactions: 4 people

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
what i cant understand about type2 diabetic, when there perscribed medication some people dont take take certain medication there given,for exhample methformin,glitracide, others eat everything there want to eat with very little side effects. ok there sugar level increases then it drops again there go to gyms and there still have perfect sex ie no side effects regarding errections etc. while people like myself we stick to the book take our insulin at the times stated go for daily walks and our sex lives suddenly go on a down hill struggle What i want to know is will my ED inprove