Settle a disagreement

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Everyone

Can you settle a disagreement between myself and James. If when he gets up with a reading of between 3.5 and 4.5 and his monitor says to have 12g of carbs to bring him up, should he just get on with his breakfast and key in the necessary carbs or like he says eat 12g carbs, then key in for breakfast.

We have had many debates about this and I am sure I am right, as his readings 2 hours later are fine but he does insist of eating the 12g carbs.

Thanks

Yvonne

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
eat the carbs and then breakfast.

If he just eats breakfast then he runs the risk of going low again later in the morning.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Everyone

Can you settle a disagreement between myself and James. If when he gets up with a reading of between 3.5 and 4.5 and his monitor says to have 12g of carbs to bring him up, should he just get on with his breakfast and key in the necessary carbs or like he says eat 12g carbs, then key in for breakfast.

We have had many debates about this and I am sure I am right, as his readings 2 hours later are fine but he does insist of eating the 12g carbs.

Thanks

Yvonne
I don't understand the question actually. Is this a question about how to input data into a particular kind of meter with dose wizard feature? Are you asking if the carb correction recommended by the meter should be then entered into the meter as a bolus? If so you probably need to say what model of meter. If not, then sorry but I don't understand what you are asking. I'm also not sure which of the two options is the one that's turning out OK.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't understand the question actually. Is this a question about how to input data into a particular kind of meter with dose wizard feature? Are you asking if the carb correction recommended by the meter should be then entered into the meter as a bolus? If so you probably need to say what model of meter. If not, then sorry but I don't understand what you are asking. I'm also not sure which of the two options is the one that's turning out OK.

Shes asking if you should treat a hypo before a meal or just eat a meal if your hypo.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Everyone

So are the 2 hour readings( that 'are fine') after eating the 12g of carbs or without......you don't say.

I see James is on a pump, I'm on MDI and with a reading below 4 I would have a Jelly Baby then eat breakfast 15 mins later, with a reading above I would reduce my insulin dose by half to one unit or eat an extra 10g of carbs depending on the bg reading, also as where I normally inject 15 mins before breakfast I would inject immediately before if my bg was within the 3.5-4.5 range.

Reactions: 3 people

iHs

I always tend to eat 2-3 jellybabies or if fist thing in the motning, ill have a cup of tea with 1 or 2tsp of sugar and tell the pump that ive eaten 10g carb and then wait 20mins and do another bg test which usually brings me up to my target or dont do test and go straight to the bolus wizard to est breakfast and knock off 0.02u before doing the bolus

AMBrennan

I'd just eat the meal and subtract the 12g (or whatever the meter advises) from the carbs you enter for the meal - what matters is that you have some carbs not covered by insulin to raise BG, so you can either have your usual breakfast with your usual insulin and eat extra carbs, or have your usual breakfast with a bit less insulin. The glass of orange juice you might have to raise your BG does not magically change when it is used to treat a hypo.

The only reason James would be right if he was taking fixed insulin doses

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I would eat my hypo stoppers or like iHs sugar in a cup of coffee immediately, as you do not know how long the breakfast food is actually going to take to digest and levels may actually dip lower before the breakfast is kicking in.

My accuchek combo pump meter also reads higher than what my true blood from vein is, so if my meter says 3.5... I'm pretty likely to be less than this.

I would then have my food and bolus as normal....Any levels for me at 3.5 to 4.5 at anytime if prefood would always be treated by a hypo stopper...

Reactions: 3 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would feel more comfortable giving the advice if James had personally asked this question...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people