Found this on DUK homepage ! Scary if true !

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Life expectancy
Diabetes is currently the fifth most common reason for death in the world.

Around 1 in 8 people between 20 and 79 years old have their death attributed to diabetes and it is expected to rise.

The life expectancy on average now is reduced by: [5]

• More than 20 years for people with Type 1 diabetes
  • Up to 10 years for people with Type 2 diabetes
However, these figures are based on historical data, and with improvements in modern care taking place, the figures presented could be subject to change in the coming decades.

20 years !!!! Scary but maybe a kick up the *** I need when I fall off the wagon ! Did anyone else know this and what are your thoughts ?

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, a bit sobering! Won't fall off the wagon anymore. :(
Does this include the plight of those with diabetes in underdeveloped and developing nations? What are your chances if you're diabetic in Syria?:(
Many of us with diabetes at least get a good grounding in how to lead a healthier life, despite all the misinformation and being dealt the diabetes card in the first place. :confused:

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It's also historical so hopefully these stats would be better now but still frightening.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Mo, yes I knew this and has been around for sometime, but appears to be a bit outdated, now we are in the 21st century. It is scary reading though, and I would imagine especially to the newly diagnosed :-o

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't be surprised but assume it is about control. Now that we can get bg monitors even if we have to fund them ourselves in most cases for T2 anyway we have a tool for control unknown in earlier generations.

My dad was diagnosed at 50, as was I. He passed away when he was 72 (1984), after years of heart attacks and strokes. He didn't have bg monitor. I have.

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some better news lately, but left uncontrolled the dangers are still there.

For the first time in 20 years five common diabetes complications are on the decline. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), rates of heart attack, stroke, end-stage kidney failure, lower-limb amputation and deaths from high blood sugar (hyperglycemia) have all decreased over the testing period.

http://www.laopinion.com/good-news-regarding-diabetes-complications

Reactions: 5 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
For the first time in 20 years five common diabetes complications are on the decline. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), rates of heart attack, stroke, end-stage kidney failure, lower-limb amputation and deaths from high blood sugar (hyperglycemia) have all decreased over the testing period.
Wonder why DUK doesn't add this to their homepage then ? Bit of good news for a change !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi,i think they are taking of all people who have diabetes in general, this includes the many who have not been diagnosed as Diabetics as well.
I live in South Africa, and it is believed that only about 4% of people who are Diabetic in Africa even know they have the disease, never mind receiving any medication or assistance. Many of them will die of complications at young ages, and bring the statistics down as to how long you can expect to live as a diabetic?
I believe if you have the Knowledge and take steps to improve your situation, you can be the exception to the rule
I'm aiming for it anyway:)

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, found this out when I was about 12 or 13 years old about 1980...
We had a medical student lodger for a while & I snuck into her room while she was out "clubbing" to read up on diabetes.. I was fed up of the patronising kiddie books I was given by my doctor...

That's when I read this.. "Diabetes no matter how well controlled reduces life expectancy by about 10 years." (Pretty much words to that effect.)

That'll teach me to be a cheeky young scamp...

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
We had a medical student lodger for a while & I snuck into her room while she was out "clubbing" to read up on diabetes..

That's when I read this.. "Diabetes no matter how well controlled reduces life expectancy by about 10 years." (Pretty much words to that effect.)

My diabetes consultant wouldn't elaborate when I questioned him when first diagnosed, all he said was look after yourself and in time they would be treatment advances that would prolong our lives, I suppose it's true given the developments of pumps, faster acting insulins, bg meters, better management of bp and cholesterol etc.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
it wouldnt surprise me if the death were much higher, if they called a heart attack a diabetes related heart attack for instance, or if you believe some stuff about glucose feeding cancer, how many folks had their cancer made worse? this is all a result of long term bad control though i expect

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My diabetes consultant wouldn't elaborate when I questioned him when first diagnosed, all he said was look after yourself and in time they would be treatment advances that would prolong our lives, I suppose it's true given the developments of pumps, faster acting insulins, bg meters, better management of bp and cholesterol etc.

True in hindsight... But for a few years after reading that, I thought "what's the ruddy point". I felt lied to.. (Or at least certain truths withheld.) I want the science, not regime driven "Janet & John books"...
Don't worry, my tunes changed now.. I'm just determined to stay healthy & have fun whatever time is left!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I just think if it's an outdated study, why have it on their homepage ? OK, some people need scaring into diabetes management but others take the "what's the point" stance. DUK should provide factual, current stories/stats, not scaremongering.

Reactions: 6 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just think if it's an outdated study, why have it on their homepage ? OK, some people need scaring into diabetes management but others take the "what's the point" stance. DUK should provide factual, current stories/stats, not scaremongering.

Like with anything.. Promote the benefits of giving up or at least moderating the bad.. There are enough people on here that do this... :cool:

Weens12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We had a medical student lodger for a while & I snuck into her room while she was out "clubbing" to read up on diabetes.. I was fed up of the patronising kiddie books I was given by my doctor...

I believe that the definition of "well controlled" at that time was not the same as "well controlled" now, i.e. the levels regarded as good control were much higher than they are now, judging by some of the research and trials I've seen.

What was previously regarded as "good control" were not safe levels and were in fact above those which are now known to produce complications - heart disease etc., But we know better now what levels are safer.

So, provided more and more diabetics are aiming for those lower safer levels - I would expect to see the life expectancy stats improving considerably in the next decade, if not before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people