Type 1 rules we accidentally break :/

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
Okay, so there's already been a great thread started about rules for type 1's. Which has been great to read an helpful. However, having been a type 1 an now with training I see a lot of diabetics that I know break some of the small rules. Obviously nothing big like omitting insulin on purpose, but small things.

I think it might be nice an refreshing to see that we are all humans an we make mistakes sometimes. Let me know if this seems inappropriate In any way.

I'll start.

1. I change my lancet in my testing pen about once every 4 months, never every time.

2. I never keep my insulin in the fridge :/.

3. I leave getting my repeat prescription until I've only 1 strip left oops.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 9 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't keep the one I'm using in the fridge but I keep all of the new ones in there.
I thought everyone did that!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 people

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't keep the one I'm using in the fridge but I keep all of the new ones in there.
I thought everyone did that!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. I'm a bit stunned at the idea of not keeping any of it in the fridge. Using insulin that has been compromised is very risky

Reactions: 8 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My Novo cartridge Penfill insulins must be kept in the fridge until put into use and when in the pen should NOT be kept in the fridge (the leaflet covers this). Wow, not changing the lancet for 4 months? I change mine every few days. Views on this vary greatly. I always try to keep my scripts up to date so I have sensible stock of those things that aren't going to change or be stopped.

Reactions: 2 people

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Insulin can be kept out of the fridge for up to 4 weeks before it is spoiled (providing it's not exposed to extreme temps). I always keep the one I'm using at room temp and all the others in the fridge.

Reactions: 4 people

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometime run the same lancet in the lancing device for a few days.

All other things I got into good habits to start with and have managed to keep em.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Here are some of the rules I used to break regularly, but don't any more:

- not carrying a meter when out (I'll just play it by ear)
- not testing before a meal
- not carrying any hypo carbs (there's sure to be an open shop nearby)
- having a naughty snack and not bolusing (after all, it didn't really happen, did it?)

I still leave my repeat prescriptions to the last minute and then get grumpy with the GP and chemist staff. Which is terrible. :-(

Reactions: 13 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm struggling to think of one tbh, the only one I can think of is I don't always change the lancet after every bg test, however I do rotate the drum (Multiclix) first thing every morning.

The correct storage of insulin does cause confusion, I did once keep all my insulin in the fridge (even the one I was using), I'm sure I was told this by my diabetes team when first diagnosed and using animal insulins, however once I'd joined this forum it was pointed out to me that insulin that was in use could be kept out of the fridge for 4 weeks,

These are good threads and pleased you started it Mooshk:)

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not buying my hypo disgusting oat biscuits cos I know there is Ben and Jerries in the freezer and eating half a tub instead of two/ three mouthfuls. Then wonder how I've gone from 2.4 to15!

Don't do that anymore though. Oat biscuits taste like coasters so don't over eat after lucozade.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not buying my hypo disgusting oat biscuits cos I know there is Ben and Jerries in the freezer and eating half a tub instead of two/ three mouthfuls. Then wonder how I've gone from 2.4 to15!

I wish I had a £1 for every time I've over-treated a hypo, I rarely do it now but in the early days.............

Reactions: 9 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish I had a £1 for every time I've over-treated a hypo, I rarely do it now but in the early days.............
Those animal insulin hypos were quite severe - I used to down 2 bowls of cereals with sugar if I had one during the night :eek: Now I'm much more calculated and rarely over treat.

Reactions: 6 people

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay, so there's already been a great thread started about rules for type 1's. Which has been great to read an helpful. However, having been a type 1 an now with training I see a lot of diabetics that I know break some of the small rules. Obviously nothing big like omitting insulin on purpose, but small things.

I think it might be nice an refreshing to see that we are all humans an we make mistakes sometimes. Let me know if this seems inappropriate In any way.

I'll start.

1. I change my lancet in my testing pen about once every 4 months, never every time.

2. I never keep my insulin in the fridge :/.

3. I leave getting my repeat prescription until I've only 1 strip left oops.

well i never leave my insulin in the fridge,because if someone sees it there and there not a insulin taker and find a needle theres a major accident /death in the making, i got myself a small steel safe,took the matt out of the base, in every safe youll find 2 large holes to bolt it down,i turned this safe around until the doors on the top i leave it in a spare bedroom with the window slightly open,it keeps it really cool.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Those animal insulin hypos were quite severe - I used to down 2 bowls of cereals with sugar if I had one during the night :eek: Now I'm much more calculated and rarely over treat.

Yes Robert, looking back they were quite severe.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't do this but have seen plenty that do:

Leave the pentip screwed into the pen all the time.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Rules we accidentally break ? If we ignore sound advice based on experience or expert knowledge is this an accident ?
We each need to manage, as best we can, our own health and honour the support and advice we are given.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Leave the pentip screwed into the pen all the time"

Ooooh! Guilty! I've always done that , I replace the used pen tip with a fresh one straight away, as I've never been told otherwise.:(

Why aren't you supposed to ?