Air travel with medication

Dave(TM)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Morning all,

I'm flying out to Barcelona later on and I now have concerns about carrying my medication. I'm flying easyJet and only taking cabin luggage with me. I need to carry metformin and gliclazide, enough for 4 days. My nurse said I won't need a note.

Has anyone done this without a doctor's note?

Thanks,
Dave

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

saramaz75

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I havent flown with easyjet, but didnt have any problems taking my metformin and gliclazide in my hand luggage when I went on holiday to turkey, and I didnt have a doctors note.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I thought it was just insulin or needles that required a note ? I know of many people who fly with tablets no problem. Did they say why you need a note ? Is it a security risk or something ? Perhaps they will accept a copy of your prescription ? Good luck.

Reactions: 3 people

mollycat1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
can`t think of any !
I too have only taken hand luggage for a long weekend and never had any trouble - put tablets and Victoza pen and needles etc. in a small clear
sealable plastic bag and never been questioned. However, coming thru` Gibralter last November a man did ask me for a letter but another man told him it was okay !

Dave(TM)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the replies all!

Part of me is tempted to wing it (pardon the pun!). Let's see what the doctor can do. I think worst case scenario I can put the bag in the hold.

Dave

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've taken my metformin and gliclazide all over Europe and to the US in my hand luggage no problem at all. I do take the box and a copy of my repeat prescription but it has never been questioned.

Nicholas Hoare

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Traveled on many airlines including easyjet with metformin, glic and various other medications in my hand luggage and never had a problem, I also carry a copy of my prescription on my ipad in case I run out or loose my tablets.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only problem I ever had was at Florence airport. They 'interviewed' me and made a right song and dance about my diabetic equipment, and even issued me with a stamped certificate/letter in Italian which I'm going to frame for posterity.

Reactions: 2 people

Birdy

Regularly fly with 9 types of meds (tablets) all in hand luggage never have a problem. Only thing you need to be aware of is controlled drugs eg. Benzodiazepines, morphine dirivitives (codeine too in some countries). Always worth having a copy of repeat prescription though in case of loss of tablets or hospitalisation.

Lily Bird - Type 2 Diabetes 2014/Hypothyroid 2009/IBS 1995/PCOS 1992 - other than that I'm fighting fit!!!

lizbet9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I carry, metformin, insulin, and needles and have never been asked for my letter or prescription repeat, I always let them know what I've got but they don't bother xx

John_ch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot!
Never had a problem with medication on flights. We were back and forward to Norther Ireland and over to Tenerife for a couple of weeks last year with all my meds ( including a months worth of Morphine Sulphate ) was asked once about them when flying from Belfast back to Edinburgh. Just showed them my prescription and they were happy.
I think the most important thing is to make sure they are in the original containers with the chemists label on.

Reactions: 2 people

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What about the glucose meter and lancets etc? I imagine that airlines wont be too happy to let you have lots of sharps in the cabin? :confused:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
What about the glucose meter and lancets etc? I imagine that airlines wont be too happy to let you have lots of sharps in the cabin? :confused:
I've never had a problem with sharps. I always tell security but they never seem bothered. Again, I do take a letter but never been asked to show it.

JayCee6828

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I have flown with Thompson a few times now carrying medications, insulin and my blood meter.

Medications I don't even mention, there must be millions of people who carry all sorts of medications on holiday with them. I do tell them I have insulin pens and lancets for my meter but I do get a letter from my diabetic nurse saying I need them with me and have never had any problems at all.

sue cope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Morning all,

I'm flying out to Barcelona later on and I now have concerns about carrying my medication. I'm flying easyJet and only taking cabin luggage with me. I need to carry metformin and gliclazide, enough for 4 days. My nurse said I won't need a note.

Has anyone done this without a doctor's note?

Thanks,
Dave

sue cope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I travel by plane (not Easyjet ) , regularly on holidays abroad, for 2 or 3 weeks at a time ,and always take twice the amount of medication I need, including large amounts of Insulin and needles. In fact my husband and I take a complete holiday's worth each in case of it becoming lost or stolen or needing to be hospitalised etc. You must always carry all medication, especially Insulin, in hand luggage. I do carry a not from a Diabetes nurse but that is about 10 years old, and have only had to produce it once. I also always take a copy of my prescription. Tablets shouldn't need to be declared, but liquid, like Insulin, does, so put in a clear plastic bag to show if required. The amount I have to take doesn't fit into the size of clear plastic bag airlines allow, but that has never been a problem. Just tell the book in desk and the staff at the Xray machines that you (or like me, both my husband and I) are carrying Insulin and needles. (My husband isn't carrying medication for himself, just a duplicate lot for me as explained above.)