Tablets (oral)
Andrew Marr? Anyone have an opinion?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I think Pipp is trying to put me off doing the same thing. That type of exercise is still a long way off for me. I need to lose more weight and get my blood pressure lower and resting heart rate lower first. As I said earlier I am on warfarin anyway so that reduces the chance of a stroke. I would build up to it, I am just saying I am considering all my options.

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Intensity and type of exercise should always be tailored to individual circumstances, and most importantly something that is pleasurable and not just a chore. IMO. Otherwise motivation will be lost or worse still you can cause some damage.

Reactions: 6 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Intensity and type of exercise should always be tailored to individual circumstances, and most importantly something that is pleasurable and not just a chore. IMO. Otherwise motivation will be lost or worse still you can cause some damage.

I agree totally. I have added in an evening walk with my daughter. Its more s stroll and I love it.
Andrew Marr is an amazing advert for courage and determination.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I agree. When I watched the TV programme I was interested in trying it, but wasn't convinced about the 'only takes a couple of minutes' bit. I said at the time that I would try it one day, but my heart wasn't fit to do so yet. I also said the whole exercise would take a lot longer than the 2 minutes because no-one could safely undertake an extreme exercise like that from 'cold'. You would need to stretch muscles properly first and warm up and warm down otherwise you could do real damage - and the heart is also a muscle. So to me the 2 minutes bit was a bit of a con and a red herring. However for someone like me who hates the slow stretching type of exercise, it would be an incentive to learn these properly first, knowing that I was doing these so that I could ultimately (many months down the line) try something which I find more appealing. I will probably not get that far, but I can at least try to get fit to give myself a chance.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do you mean...opinion? I think what you said earlier was right

What do you mean...opinion? I think what you said earlier was right

Sorry folks, not on good form today. A bit of pain and meds making me confused.
Trying to be succinct:
Michael Moseley's recommendations in "the truth about exercise" i.e. short intense bursts of exercise, have been somewhat discredited by incidents of people injuring their health in following this approach. Andrew Marr being just one example, a famous one though. I don't think the stroke he had was "minor" if there is such a thing. He is still not fully recovered over a year later, despite intensive treatment. He also has stated he is fortunate in that the areas of his brain affected have not caused speech or intellectual difficulties.

My point in raising the issue is, firstly concern, particularly for zand, who mentioned that sort of exercise as an option. Also, that given that this forum is for people with diabetes, who sometimes have other co-morbidities, we need to care for ourselves and make informed decisions. To do that we have to consider pros and cons for each of our individual circumstances. I Would not like anyone to suffer a similar fate to Andrew Marr because they had not had all the facts regarding the short bursts of intense exercise.

In addition, to be sustainable as a lifestyle change, shouldn't exercise be enjoyable? By all means get a static exercise bike if that is your thing. I guess that could be enjoyable. Just do the short intense stuff cautiously.

Be well
Pipp

Reactions: 3 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I agree. When I watched the TV programme I was interested in trying it, but wasn't convinced about the 'only takes a couple of minutes' bit. I said at the time that I would try it one day, but my heart wasn't fit to do so yet. I also said the whole exercise would take a lot longer than the 2 minutes because no-one could safely undertake an extreme exercise like that from 'cold'. You would need to stretch muscles properly first and warm up and warm down otherwise you could do real damage - and the heart is also a muscle. So to me the 2 minutes bit was a bit of a con and a red herring. However for someone like me who hates the slow stretching type of exercise, it would be an incentive to learn these properly first, knowing that I was doing these so that I could ultimately (many months down the line) try something which I find more appealing. I will probably not get that far, but I can at least try to get fit to give myself a chance.
I got a pilates dvd. Made a start by watching it twice. What do you mean, I have to actually copy the woman on the screen and do some of those moves myself?

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I think Pipp is trying to put me off doing the same thing. That type of exercise is still a long way off for me. I need to lose more weight and get my blood pressure lower and resting heart rate lower first. As I said earlier I am on warfarin anyway so that reduces the chance of a stroke. I would build up to it, I am just saying I am considering all my options.
Zand, would not try to put you off anything . Just don't want you injured. How the heck would I get through the day without your inspirational posts?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Zand, would not try to put you off anything . Just don't want you injured. How the heck would I get through the day without your inspirational posts?
I mean I would try to put you off injuring yourself, but not try to put you off trying a new exercise if that was what you wanted.
I am guilty of 'encouraging' swimming remember.

Oh gawd I need some kip.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In addition, to be sustainable as a lifestyle change, shouldn't exercise be enjoyable? By all means get a static exercise bike if that is your thing. I guess that could be enjoyable. Just do the short intense stuff cautiously. Be well Pipp
That's the point Pipp, I would enjoy the intense stuff, perhaps most people wouldn't. For me, just the faintest hope that I would be able to do something like that would keep me going with the more boring stuff. I intend to start those horrid stretches again soon, (well as soon as I have found the book I used to use) maybe I could grow to like them.....there's more chance of me liking them than liking swimming anyway.

I have noticed from past efforts that my body responds better to inconsistent exercise than to regular every day routine. This also suits my personality because I am very inconsistent by nature. Day after day of the same routine does nothing for me; it appears to have made my metabolism worse not better. Though of course it does improve my health and fitness generally....but I started this thread because I want to lose weight, not simply get fitter and healthier.

Anyway, I've got to go now as I need to speak to hubby before he goes to work. Have a nice day Pipp

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi there,
Very sensible attitude towards the potential pitfalls of sudden intensive exercise.
Just a mention here to make sure you are aware that intensive exercise will raise your blood glucose levels too. Intensive exercise does however improve insulin sensitivity more than more moderate exercise. Consequently the best option is to warm your body/muscles with some moderate exercise, then do a burst of intensive exercise (if you are fit and able) then 'cool down' with more moderate exercise.
The moderate exercise should help bring blood glucose levels back down after any intense burst.
Keep up the good work - more info if needed at: http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Questions_-_explained_Vigorous.html ;)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,
Very sensible attitude towards the potential pitfalls of sudden intensive exercise.
Just a mention here to make sure you are aware that intensive exercise will raise your blood glucose levels too. Intensive exercise does however improve insulin sensitivity more than more moderate exercise. Consequently the best option is to warm your body/muscles with some moderate exercise, then do a burst of intensive exercise (if you are fit and able) then 'cool down' with more moderate exercise.
The moderate exercise should help bring blood glucose levels back down after any intense burst.
Keep up the good work - more info if needed at: http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Questions_-_explained_Vigorous.html ;)
:)thanks Bebo321 this is exactly what I have been looking for......I should have known where to look really, shouldn't I???!!! Yes it's the insulin sensitivity bit that drew me to this in the first place, thank you so much, you have made my day!:)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right, my back is much better today and I have had a shorter than usual morning walk. As I have spent two days not doing a lot I have lots to catch up on today, so I am going to try to be really disciplined and not visit the forum (well at least not for an hour or so.) I am telling you this so you don't think I have gone off in a strop again. My mood swings are still the biggest problem with this plan, but today I am happy......so far.

Oh, while I'm here I may as well get this over with now. OK, so you were all right and I was wrong, myfitnesspal is a good idea, but for 2 unexpected reasons. Firstly it is helping me to drink more water:) Secondly, seeing how many calories I should be consuming was a real eye opener. :) I knew I was eating less than I should, but didn't realise by quite how much. Yesterday even though I had the food in front of me I couldn't eat it all, so I didn't manage to get to the target. I will try harder today, but after a lifetime of cutting down, it's difficult. Of course if I could just have a chip butty I would have no problem with it at all......

OK, I'm going away now....hopefully to achieve lots.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I agree that the type of exercise must be something you enjoy or its not sustainable.
I enjoy my fitness pal app because it makes me think about what Im eating.
I started exercising properly about 10 weeks ago and I feel so much better. I haven't lost lots of numbers on the scales but my clothes fit better and some are to big.
I am enjoying it.
If I waa going to do something radical exercise wise I would speak to my gp first.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hooray just stood on the scales and have lost another pound , it seemed for a while that the pounds were clinging to my ribs and fighting to stay but hooray.
6 more to loose and I'll be 10stone something ( we 10 13 but its still.10 something lol) .
I was over 13 stone 17 months ago. Its taken a while and lots of different approaches but nearly there.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there,
Brilliant!
You have said what I was trying to. Thank you