Not open for further replies.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am happy to be described as carb intolerant.

It's a simplification, but I can cheerfully live with it.

The only wee fly in the ointment is that if I were to say 'I'm carb intolerant so I can't eat that delicious looking paella/lasagne/chocolate brownie' they would probably look at me blankly and say 'what's a carb?'

Reactions: 15 people

lilyfleur

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A great point. I am overweight and have a family history of T2 so will be beating myself latter with a big pointy stick as I should have known better ;-) I recently read Robert Lustig's book about the evils of sugar and he made just this point about seeing metabolic syndrome in seemingly normal weight people which suggests that there is something going on over and above weight as a crude measure. I see lots of slim young girls when I am out who have what I would call a pot belly or muffin top and I do wonder if this is a consequence of our fast food and carb heavy diet- they all buy the ice drinks in the coffee shop and say no to the cream, but seem unaware that the thickener is just about pure glucose.
Robert Lustig is brilliant!

Reactions: 6 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Still not an intolerance, they do what theyre meant to, digest them, put the sugar in the blood for the body to utilise, what I'm lacking is a way of utilising them after the body has done what it supposed to do, if I was intolerant of them they wouldn't get in the blood in the first place as my body would of rejected them.

Type 1, pumping nova rapid

Reactions: 3 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Still not an intolerance, they do what theyre meant to, digest them, put the sugar in the blood for the body to utilise, what I'm lacking is a way of utilising them after the body has done what it supposed to do, if I was intolerant of them they wouldn't get in the blood in the first place as my body would of rejected them.

So are you saying someone with a peanut allergy is safe because their body will reject them ? If you were not on insulin, you would get uncontrolled, elevated BG levels after eating carbs. This means you have an intolerance to them unfortunately.

Reactions: 4 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can´t metabolise carbs. It is not an allergy but certainly it is an intolerance. Maybe it is different for T1. Not that I am sure of what type I am, but carb intolerant? Sure.

Reactions: 2 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So are you saying someone with a peanut allergy is safe because their body will reject them ? If you were not on insulin, you would get uncontrolled, elevated BG levels after eating carbs. This means you have an intolerance to them unfortunately.

But, someone with a peanut allergy (intollerance), I would.presume would need some sort of treatment to counteract, unlike ourselves, they would not need more peanuts once treated as a life saving aid.

Reactions: 6 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
But, someone with a peanut allergy (intollerance), I would.presume would need some sort of treatment to counteract, unlike ourselves, they would not need more peanuts once treated as a life saving aid.

But we do need treatment to counteract, insulin.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 5 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Yes, carbs, because were not intollerant of them. whatever diet, hypos happen.

The only reason we get hypo's is because we don't control our meds properly. Diabetes does not cause hypo's, it causes the total opposite. You're a sharp guy and I know you certainly know about diabetes, far more than me. That's why I'm surprised of your take on this. Intolerance means not being able to deal with certain food or drugs. By definition, carbs elevate our BG levels. We take insulin to cope with them because our bodies are unable to. Perhaps we should just agree to disagree as we keep posting similar things :)

Reactions: 10 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Are you sure you don't confuse allergy with intolerance?

Can you tolerate carbs? I sure can´t. I am intolerant to carbs. As to allergies I have none.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Are you sure you don't confuse allergy with intolerance?

Can you tolerate carbs? I sure can´t. I am intolerant to carbs. As to allergies I have none.
Intolerance means my body does not tolerate. If I eat carbs, I must inject insulin. If I was allergic to peanuts, I would take epinephrine. Call these conditions what you like but either way, my body doesn't tolerate carbs.

Reactions: 4 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Intolerance means my body does not tolerate. If I eat carbs, I must inject insulin. If I was allergic to peanuts, I would take epinephrine. Call these conditions what you like but either way, my body doesn't tolerate carbs.

Hey mo, I quoted Brett so don't bite my head off.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I know, that is why I was a bit confused.

Still, when it comes to being carb intolerant, we are united? Right?
Totto, we're besties :) If you think I bit your head off, I'm not sure why ! I just responded to your post, not nastily or anything. I have a lot of respect for your opinions :)

Reactions: 2 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I inject insulin because my body doesn't produce it. The body produces sugar even on a 0 carb diet, which is why background insulin is needed for type 1s, and when the body is pushed too hard it uses the background even better needing carbs without qa. Do all type 2s eat 0 carbs or are most better on a low carb diet therefore tolerating a certain amount of them. If I did not have insulin id be dead by now with or without them, not because I was carb intollerant but because my body didn't produce insulin.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totto, we're besties :) If you think I bit your head off, I'm not sure why ! I just responded to your post, not nastily or anything. I have a lot of respect for your opinions :)

You responded to my answer to Brett. Check out my post 130#.
And of course we are besties and I will invite you to a very nice fat feast soon!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.