• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am very overweight. Regardless of the weight diabetes was going to hit me as it runs down the maternal side of my family. I have a 7stone (when wet through) sister in law who has VERY high cholesterol, whereas mine when last checked was a lovely 4.7. I think THAT is the point that Zand is making. Even if you are slim and 'gettin away' with eating lots of carbs/sugar, you MIGHT have more fat on the inside that the 'fatties' so have you self inflicted it too?

Edit: To say when I said 'you' I meant it as a broad question to the skinny people who eat lots of bad food and think that there is no way they could get the 'fat people's' disease.

Funny, my last cholesterol was 6.0, LDL 3.0, HDL 3.0. I weigh 10 stone 7 with a BMI of about 22. My HbA1C was 40.

I have what I would consider a healthy diet, probably lower carb (about 100-120g/day average) higher fat and protein than average, and so far I've had two consultants and an private doctor look at my numbers and tell me they're fine.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice reply! Only thing I really want to say is that I didn't cause the depression and other problems that caused me to be fat and lazy either. If you knew what had caused me grief for most of my life you would be shocked, I felt you were being judgmental when you said it was because of bad lifestyle choices. Look at any fat person and they will have a story to tell you, and it's not all about eating too much and not exercising enough. It isn't all within our control either. And yes, I feel for you, it must be horrid being so young and being diagnosed with diabetes. No, of course you didn't do anything to cause it. I hope the everyday struggle gets better for you, there's lots of intelligent T1's on this forum who might be able to help you. I agree with you about the carb intolerant question, but I also understand where the other contributors to this thread are coming from in this respect. Like I said, nice reply, I appreciate it.

Makes no difference when you are diagnosed, T1 is a ***** either way.

I was diagnosed aged 39 after a bout of flu. Before, I could jump in my car whenever I wanted, go out for a run or a ride any time, jump in a chopper and go offshore, get drunk and just have to worry about a hangover.

Now I have to carry around my little orange bag (orange so I don't forget it) with extra food and blood tester, just in case. I have to test every time I drive, I have to test before, during and after exercise, adn eat a whole load more than I ever did before to stop myself falling over. Oh, and every time I need to eat, I have to expose my belly to the world and stab it.

I can no longer work offshore, adn have to have frequent medicals to work for clients that had no second thoughts before. Me not working offshore then knocks on to the rest of my team and increases their stress as they have to do more.

Believe me, it makes no difference how old you are, diabetes is a pile of **** whichever way you look at it.

Reactions: 12 people

Ashlie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice reply! Only thing I really want to say is that I didn't cause the depression and other problems that caused me to be fat and lazy either. If you knew what had caused me grief for most of my life you would be shocked, I felt you were being judgmental when you said it was because of bad lifestyle choices. Look at any fat person and they will have a story to tell you, and it's not all about eating too much and not exercising enough. It isn't all within our control either. And yes, I feel for you, it must be horrid being so young and being diagnosed with diabetes. No, of course you didn't do anything to cause it. I hope the everyday struggle gets better for you, there's lots of intelligent T1's on this forum who might be able to help you. I agree with you about the carb intolerant question, but I also understand where the other contributors to this thread are coming from in this respect. Like I said, nice reply, I appreciate it.
And like I said everybody has a story and everybody has their own stresses and lives beyond diabetes, I can understand about depression and a bad past, everyone deals with things in different ways, to be honest the amount I eat and comfort eat I should be 50 stone lol whenever I've been feeling **** about things when bad things have happened I normally binge drink n I know the damage it can cause buy it makes me feel better at the time, when I was in my early teens my way to deal with things was to either lock myself in a room and dance til I couldn't dance anymore thinking of routines so my mind wasn't on what was making me sad or I'd self harm, I've lived and I've learned, it doesn't matter so much how we got here the point is we are all living with the same thing, some people are lucky enough to be diet controlled some people just need a top up of insulin and some people solely survive on those injections everyday, I'm sorry for the way my comments came across, thays the things with speaking over the Internet as apposed to verbally because people can misinterprete what's said or can take it in the wrong context, I'm not judgemental and I'm actually a really nice person that will do anything for anyone, I just felt really strongly about this subject and totally disagreed with it, i may have worded somethings badly but I understand that some T2 is heredity and I understand that not all T2 can help it but I also know that some can, again I'm sorry x

Reactions: 8 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And like I said everybody has a story and everybody has their own stresses and lives beyond diabetes, I can understand about depression and a bad past, everyone deals with things in different ways, to be honest the amount I eat and comfort eat I should be 50 stone lol whenever I've been feeling **** about things when bad things have happened I normally binge drink n I know the damage it can cause buy it makes me feel better at the time, when I was in my early teens my way to deal with things was to either lock myself in a room and dance til I couldn't dance anymore thinking of routines so my mind wasn't on what was making me sad or I'd self harm, I've lived and I've learned, it doesn't matter so much how we got here the point is we are all living with the same thing, some people are lucky enough to be diet controlled some people just need a top up of insulin and some people solely survive on those injections everyday, I'm sorry for the way my comments came across, thays the things with speaking over the Internet as apposed to verbally because people can misinterprete what's said or can take it in the wrong context, I'm not judgemental and I'm actually a really nice person that will do anything for anyone, I just felt really strongly about this subject and totally disagreed with it, i may have worded somethings badly but I understand that some T2 is heredity and I understand that not all T2 can help it but I also know that some can, again I'm sorry x
Again another good reply, no apology needed from you, but I'm sorry too. Yep I'm that nice person who will do anything for anyone too...I really understand all you are saying in this great post. Thanks..... and I am sorry

Reactions: 5 people

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Use of emoticons is a good way to try and get the genuine message across, I think I am addicted to them lol x ;)

Reactions: 3 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm pretty astonished that anyone, especially diabetics can think that we are tolerant of carbs. In medical terms - and I work in pharma - tolerance means to be subjected to something without an adverse effect. It's my job to measure the tolerance of oncology drugs in clinical trials.

Diabetics have adverse reactions to carbs; it's a simple fact. I would suggest that anyone who thinks otherwise, is unaware of what tolerance means.

Reactions: 15 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm pretty astonished that anyone, especially diabetics can think that we are tolerant of carbs. In medical terms - and I work in pharma - tolerance means to be subjected to something without an adverse effect. It's my job to measure the tolerance of oncology drugs in clinical trials.

Diabetics have adverse reactions to carbs; it's a simple fact. I would suggest that anyone who thinks otherwise, is unaware of what tolerance means.

I know what tolerance means sam, but its not an intolerance if its also a life saving aid in the case of a hypo

Type 1, pumping nova rapid

Reactions: 6 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods

Sam,
Your comprehension of tolerance is in line with my own thoughts. Must be down to studying pharmacology at Dundee Uni in '80s.

Reactions: 7 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, we must all be really stupid people then, eating something we are all intollerant of, be it 30 carbs and taking insulin for it or more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems that how carbohydrate tolerant we are has a lot to do with the number of copies of the salivary amylase gene we have. A lot will depend on how much starch our ancestors consumed.

Reactions: 4 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh, and i'm intollerant of protein to, because that has the same effect as carbs all be it over an extended time, and intollerance of many other things that can cause a raise in levels using the same logic.

Reactions: 7 people

Ashlie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also I was 21 when diagnosed I'm now 25, 26 this year so I wasn't diagnosed that young and I can normally cope with anything life throws at me but this is hard and now I'm pregnant and trying even harder then I already was to try n get my levels normal for my little peanut n it's like I'm swimming in mud, I'm trying my best but not getting any where x

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If only I could like this post a hundred times............

Reactions: 14 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also I was 21 when diagnosed I'm now 25, 26 this year so I wasn't diagnosed that young and I can normally cope with anything life throws at me but this is hard and now I'm pregnant and trying even harder then I already was to try n get my levels normal for my little peanut n it's like I'm swimming in mud, I'm trying my best but not getting any where x

Good luck with your baby Ashlie. I do appreciate diabetes brings additional, stressful facets to pregnancy, which should be a wholly joyous time.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with your baby Ashlie. I do appreciate diabetes brings additional, stressful facets to pregnancy, which should be a wholly joyous time.
Yes @Ashlie, I echo these sentiments from AndBreathe. I was not diabetic when I was pregnant but I found pregnancy difficult enough to cope with on its own. I also find diabetes difficult too even though I don't need insulin, so I can't even begin to imagine the stress you are under right now. Thanks for your replies, they have helped me to understand you (and like you quite a lot too!). I really do wish you well and I and hope you stay with the forum because someone who has been in your situation may be able to help you with good advice.

Can we have that hug now?:)
x

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh, and i'm intollerant of protein to, because that has the same effect as carbs all be it over an extended time, and intollerance of many other things that can cause a raise in levels using the same logic.

That's exactly right, Brett. I'm not trying to be pedantic (sorry if it's come across that way), but what I described above is exactly what tolerance means in terms of how something affects a biomedical metric such as sugar levels.

If you take a drug that counters that adverse effect, such as insulin, for example, then that means that the drug has efficacy, but you are still intolerant of carbs, protein etc.

Reactions: 14 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

surely that logic only applies to those without an underlying defect?

You wouldn't say that someone with kidney failure and needing dialysis is intolerant to food would you?

I understand your logic in the purely clinical/phamacological sense, but I just dont think it is applicable in the case of a T1, you could argue it for T2.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Makes no difference when you are diagnosed, T1 is a ***** either way.

I was diagnosed aged 39 after a bout of flu. Before, I could jump in my car whenever I wanted, go out for a run or a ride any time, jump in a chopper and go offshore, get drunk and just have to worry about a hangover.

Now I have to carry around my little orange bag (orange so I don't forget it) with extra food and blood tester, just in case. I have to test every time I drive, I have to test before, during and after exercise, adn eat a whole load more than I ever did before to stop myself falling over. Oh, and every time I need to eat, I have to expose my belly to the world and stab it.

I can no longer work offshore, adn have to have frequent medicals to work for clients that had no second thoughts before. Me not working offshore then knocks on to the rest of my team and increases their stress as they have to do more.

Believe me, it makes no difference how old you are, diabetes is a pile of **** whichever way you look at it.
Yes I am not arguing with any of that ElyDave, but in Ashlie's case if she had been diagnosed when she was 39 instead of 21 then she could have lived through those extra 18 years with less problems. This is particularly relevant because she is pregnant and Type 1. If she had been older when she was diagnosed she could have got through a few pregnancies without the added hassle of being diabetic. I am very grateful that I am T2 and was diagnosed when I was in my 50's, having had a relatively worry free existence before then.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
surely that logic only applies to those without an underlying defect?

You wouldn't say that someone with kidney failure and needing dialysis is intolerant to food would you?

I understand your logic in the purely clinical/phamacological sense, but I just dont think it is applicable in the case of a T1, you could argue it for T2.

That makes sense ElyDave,
Perhaps it would be better to suggest that somebody who has developed insulin resistance has an intolerance to carbohydrate. In this instance, even with injected insulin the body is unable to make use of the energy source as effectively as it should.
For somebody with a defunct pancreas it 's not so much an intolerance to carb/glucose it's actually an inability to use the energy source at all. Without insulin no matter how much or how little carb you consume, the result would be the same. :depressed:

Status
Not open for further replies.