Not open for further replies.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
another copy and paste : Food Intolerance
A food intolerance, or a food sensitivity occurs when a person has difficulty digesting a particular food. This can lead to symptoms such as intestinal gas, abdominal pain or diarrhea http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/conditions-dictionary/food-Intolerance.aspx

We have evolved to eat starches and metabolise them. We produce amylase , we even produce it in our saliva (unlike our chimpanzee and bonobo 'cousins' who have the gene but it doesn't work properly) and we also produce amylase from the pancreas Those few of us who have diabetes caused by removal of the pancreas do indeed have a problem in metabolising starch without taking enzymes.
If we had a mutation of those genes so we couldn't metabolise starch or the resulting sugars, then we would have an intolerance. There is a genetic condition causing an intolerance for sugars but it's extremely rare outside the Arctic .http://www.sucraid.net/about-csid.
If I were intolerant I would have the same sort of symptoms as someone who has lactase intolerance who drinks milk

If I do nothing, eat nothing and take no insulin my glucose levels will rise; not because of carbs but because there isn't sufficient insulin to stop the glucagon/glucose release from the liver. If I eat fat and protein in the absence of carbs my body will still make glucose and without insulin my blood glucose will rise.
I can though go for a run with only a small amount of insulin around and I can both metabolise carbs and the glucose can get into my muscles . . If you are moving there is no cell that can't take glucose with or without insulin

Both in T1 and T2 the fasting glucose level, which is diagnostic for diabetes, is determined by the amount of glucagon released . Without adequate insulin then glucose levels will rise.
It's not a carbohydrate intolerance, it's beta cells killed off or resistance resulting in a need for more insulin to get the messages through or something wrong with the signalling system.

Reactions: 3 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I inject insulin because my body doesn't produce it. The body produces sugar even on a 0 carb diet, which is why background insulin is needed for type 1s, and when the body is pushed too hard it uses the background even better needing carbs without qa. Do all type 2s eat 0 carbs or are most better on a low carb diet therefore tolerating a certain amount of them. If I did not have insulin id be dead by now with or without them, not because I was carb intollerant but because my body didn't produce insulin.

Type 1, pumping nova rapid
So, if you stopped injecting insulin but kept eating carbs, what would happen ? Would your body tolerate them ? I refer you back to the definition :

an inability to eat a food or take a drug without adverse effects.
"young children with lactose intolerance"
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So, if you stopped injecting insulin but kept eating carbs, what would happen ? Would your body tolerate them ?

exactly the same would happen with or without them. time difference would be different though! In which 2 of those circumstances would someone be carb intolerant.

Reactions: 2 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You haven't got a carb intolerance because you need insulin, you need insulin either way

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have read this thread over the last few days and have resisted replying because I have not understood what you are all arguing about. For me I treat carbs as a poison and have done so since about 3 weeks after diagnosis and completed my research. I can now tolerate quite high levels and also high GI ones but they are still a poison to my system that my body has to clear out. My body does need a very small amount (brain cells use it for energy) and my other cells but it really doesnt need the amounts (we well I before diagnosis) used to stuff down my throat pre-awakening.

Am I intolerant to carbs, yes after I have more than a certain amount. Is that amount a lot lower than it used to be, yes; so you could actually almost say I have developed some level of allergy.

Ok so flame on; I am wearing my asbestos pants

Reactions: 7 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
exactly the same would happen with or without them. time difference would be different though! In which 2 of those circumstances would someone be carb intolerant.

Do you mean your BG levels would rise even if you never ate carbs ? Not sure what you mean, sorry.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
You haven't got a carb intolerance because you need insulin, you need insulin either way

The discussion isn't about if we need insulin, it's whether we tolerate carbs. Tolerate means "no adverse affects". If we ate carbs, we would get elevated BG levels which is an adverse affect ?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The discussion isn't about if we need insulin, it's whether we tolerate carbs. Tolerate means "no adverse affects". If we ate carbs, we would get elevated BG levels which is an adverse affect ?

What do you have to treat a low or prevent one happening. if you were carb intollerant it wouldn't.be carbs

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
What do you have to treat a low or prevent one happening. if you were carb intollerant it wouldn't.be carbs

I would only need to treat if I took on too much insulin. What would happen if you over treated ? You would have a hyper because you are intolerent of carbs lol !
I have a great deal of respect for your views Brett but I think we are getting nowhere here and must agree to disagree :)

Reactions: 6 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if I had a hyper would mean I didn't have sufficient insulin on my body, the carbs I ate however would of been digested and used by the body to put in the blood ready to use

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
if I had a hyper would mean I didn't have sufficient insulin on my body, the carbs I ate however would of been digested and used by the body to put in the blood ready to use

I give up ! If you eat carbs, your BG levels are elevated. This is what make us diabetics. Our bodies Don't tolerate carbs so we inject insulin to deal with them. If we could tolerate carbs, we wouldn't have diabetes. I can eat peanuts no problem. I also produce epinephrine naturally. So, if I were allergic to peanuts, are you saying I am not intolerent of them just because epinephrine occurs naturally ? If I didn't inject , I would die. How more intolerent can you get !

Reactions: 4 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I give up ! If you eat carbs, your BG levels are elevated. This is what make us diabetics. Our bodies Don't tolerate carbs so we inject insulin to deal with them. If we could tolerate carbs, we wouldn't have diabetes. I can eat peanuts no problem. I also produce epinephrine naturally. So, if I were allergic to peanuts, are you saying I am not intolerent of them just because epinephrine occurs naturally ? If I didn't inject , I would die. How more intolerent can you get !

You would have to inject on 0 carbs though. Not injecting not eating carbs you would stilll die.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
You would have to inject on 0 carbs though. Not injecting not eating carbs you would stilll die.

Basal only. I would not inject on 0 carbs. If I did eat 100g of carbs, I would need to inject 10units of QA insulin as I am intolerent to them :)
A non diabetic who is not carb intolerent doesn't need to inject. Their body deals with it.

lacey1

really shocked that people i know r educated and full of great advice r on here saying its an intolerance lol
ur not ur diabetic the medical world has not named the condition carb intolerance because its not if u r intolerant u avoid ur trigger food and ur fine u don't possibly end up with sight problems kidney liver probs amputation extra risk of strokes heart problems from an intolerance u as diabetics r as u have an organ not part of the digestive system an organ that it not working or under pressure if u r intolerant to lactouse say a glass of milk will give u tummy pain sickness and the poops but then once out of the system u be fine as a diabetic u slip up to much and don't medicate for food and activities u end up in hospital or causing long term damage its called a chronic illness cause it is and u should all be proud of living with and mastering the condition not looking for different ways explain it **** happens life sucks but your all doin fab so smile people its Saturday night and think before u type lol x

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Intolerence means an adverse affect on the body. This means elevated BG levels. That doesn't mean it's deadly or needs to be totally avoided. I'm not saying we need to totally avoid carbs, I eat them. Point is, our bodies have an adverse affect to them which by definition makes us intolerent. Don't take my word for it, Google the definition.

Reactions: 4 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Intolerence means an adverse affect on the body. This means elevated BG levels. That doesn't mean it's deadly or needs to be totally avoided. I'm not saying we need to totally avoid carbs, I eat them. Point is, our bodies have an adverse affect to them which by definition makes us intolerent. Don't take my word for it, Google the definition.

But that adverse effect would happen with or without carbs, caused by lack of insulin. If I match my insulin, injected (cause.my body can't make it) I tolerate carbs very well with no adverse affects. if I couldn't tolerate the carbs the injected insulin wouldn't be much use. I'm.not.going to comment further (think I've said enough on this) and don't wish to upset anyone but shall simply disagree that I'm not carb intolerant but am instead insulin lacking.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
But that adverse effect would happen with or without carbs, caused by lack of insulin. If I match my insulin, injected (cause.my body can't make it) I tolerate carbs very well with no adverse affects. if I couldn't tolerate the carbs the injected insulin wouldn't be much use. I'm.not.going to comment further (think I've said enough on this) and don't wish to upset anyone but shall simply disagree that I'm not carb intolerant but am instead insulin lacking.

Some good points to mull over from members, agree or disagree with tit for tat, it has run the course now. Amen:angelic:.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

:)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Does someone with hayfever tolerate pollen ? Does an asthmatic tolerate dust ? Because they can take medication to counteract symptoms, do they tolerate them ? I agree Brett, we generally agree on most points but we are getting nowhere here. However, that is the beauty of a forum like this, wouldn't it be boring if everyone agreed about everything :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@SpikerWhat do you mean by the inability to clear ketones ?
Untreated T1s died even on a zero carb diet because of ketoacidosis (DKA). This is because only insulin clears ketone bodies from blood effectively. And of course without insulin they were in constant ketosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.