bruise and lump at injection site

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
ok so I've been a diabetic a long time and this has happened before.....I sometimes react to my basal insulin...but I change my needles each time.......I thought I 'd see what others say. this morning I have injected in each leg for my basal and bolus.....the bolus made an instant lump and now a bruise and is very sore.....I'm on 5mm needles and I'm over weight....any thoughts

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I've only been type 1 for 2.5 years but this happened to me last month on my tummy - just a bad jab, was very sore and had a small lump that disappeared within 24 hours, bruised too.

I think sometimes you just hit a blood vessel and it's a build up of fluid, nothing to get too concerned about ;)

Reactions: 3 people

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
It's possible you may have not reached the subcutaneous tissue by not injecting deep enough or at an angle possibly into the dermis, this happens now and then with me, forming a lump which does away after time/some bruising. Is your tissue in that area hardened or compacted in any way?

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
try not to inject in the same area all the time, try and move it about.............i alternate legs for my Lantus,and pinch the skin area before injecting, to raise the surface......but maybe it was just a bad injection, it happens

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
I change sites all the time. Skin doesnt feel the same in different places. Like the outside of my leg skin I feel feels thinner or with less beneath it as it stings mkre there and goes in differently. My hips I generally dont feel it much...tummy feels fine....my legs are bruising a lot at the moment

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Lol - I inject in my bum !! Large area of fatty tissue - works best for me !!!

:wacky:

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I've only been type 1 for 2.5 years but this happened to me last month on my tummy - just a bad jab, was very sore and had a small lump that disappeared within 24 hours, bruised too.

I think sometimes you just hit a blood vessel and it's a build up of fluid, nothing to get too concerned about ;)

I'm a long time type 1 and this has happened to me a few times, it is sore, but it does fade away.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I had this twice in 6wks.

Freaked me out to start with but appreciate could be just skin reacting.

Also had blood 3 times is this normal??

It's probably just a surface vein, but if it keeps happening and you are a little concerned, have a word with your DSN, or hospital when you have your next appointment, for some advice. Best wishes..

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Megan,
Is it your basal or your bolus that causes a lump. Unless I'm reading it wrong - I probably am, it's 1:45 - I think you've said both. Basal insulin crystallises once you've injected and slowly dissolves throughout the day. So it will often cause a lump.

Sometimes bolus will too, but usually not very often as the insulin has been artificially manufactured to spread throughout the body quickly. If you find you have a lump for a considerable time after injecting bolus, you should consider injecting with longer needles as they will inject into the muscle where the insulin is absorbed more rapidly and hence will cause a smaller lump.

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol - I inject in my bum !! Large area of fatty tissue - works best for me !!!

:wacky:
i'm put off by the fact that it sounds painful..............................its never the same after sitting on a drawing pin

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
i'm put off by the fact that it sounds painful..............................its never the same after sitting on a drawing pin
Depends how much fat there is on your bum Spiker !!!

Reactions: 2 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been injecting since 1990. Last month I got a giant bruise on my stomach from injecting, took a week to disappear. That had never happened before. I think sometimes our bodies just like to complain.

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
I find my hips ok..the fattest bits! ...my legs get sore so easily...I can just tell how its going to feel....stings on side of legs...bruises on tummy but I dont often feel it. Arms bit stingy....im over weight but my body feels sore....hoping for a cure!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I find my hips ok..the fattest bits! ...my legs get sore so easily...I can just tell how its going to feel....stings on side of legs...bruises on tummy but I dont often feel it. Arms bit stingy....im over weight but my body feels sore....hoping for a cure!

To be honest carrying extra weight kinda helps, more bits to inject inject into, if I look at my tummy right now there are currently two bruises and in my bum there's a hard lump, I never really take much notice normally tho, all part of the course, as long as I can think, breathe and eat then that's ok !! I also hope we can find a cure but not holding my breath ;)

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually prefer a bit of pain. Injecting is so second nature to me I sometimes forget whether I have done it or not!