Herbalife

C

catherinecherub

Herbalife is network marketing company and the more the distributors sell, the more they make financially. You cannot get any price lists as they say that it has to be decided what products and quantities are right for the individual. It seems to me that it is a very pricey way to lose weight and I query as to whether it educates you about healthy eating to lose weight.

Looking through your posts tells me that you are a Type1 and I am sure there are other Type1s who have lost weight and can hopefully guide you without the need for paying for it.

All these type of products promise that they will work wonders and some do in the short term but you have to find a way of eating that is pleasurable to you and is something you can stick with.

Google herbalife pyramid selling and you will see that the company is not without criticism.

Reactions: 6 people

C burns

Thnx, tbh I've tried everything I can think of. I did the dafne course and already so low carb diet all the time with most meals carb free. Although I dnt so a tremendous amount of exercise, I walk the dog everyday and go on the treadmill most ntes although it's mostly for a short time. I'm very keen to hear the views or advice of others.
I hav just checkd the pyramid and feel herbalife is prob just a money making scam although I've orderd n paid for 1 months supply so il give it a go but wnt b in a hurry to order anymore.
Thnx 4 ur reply x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Used properly, the Herbalife products DO work. This is because they reduce your calorie/carbohydrate intake and you end up eating a diet relatively high in protein. A good herbalife distributor will talk to you about healthy eating too - i.e. what to do when you have reached your target weight.

I have been Type 1 diabetic since 2005 and have been using Herbalife products since 2003. The shakes are great for slow-release carbohydrate (I have tested post-prandial to confirm) but are an expensive way to do it.

The company is not a pyramid scheme as ALL distributors sell products direct to customers who consume the products. In a pyramid scheme, products are simply shuffled down the line until they get to the bottom of the stack and they are useless/out of date/obsolete/worth nothing.

I consider myself an ex-distributor, because while I still use the products, I don't actively sell them. And that was for the simple reason that I'm not a sales person. I work in IT and enjoy it.

Drop me a line if you want any advice, or want to check what your distributor is promising ;)

Sam

Reactions: 4 people

C burns

Used properly, the Herbalife products DO work. This is because they reduce your calorie/carbohydrate intake and you end up eating a diet relatively high in protein. A good herbalife distributor will talk to you about healthy eating too - i.e. what to do when you have reached your target weight.

I have been Type 1 diabetic since 2005 and have been using Herbalife products since 2003. The shakes are great for slow-release carbohydrate (I have tested post-prandial to confirm) but are an expensive way to do it.

The company is not a pyramid scheme as ALL distributors sell products direct to customers who consume the products. In a pyramid scheme, products are simply shuffled down the line until they get to the bottom of the stack and they are useless/out of date/obsolete/worth nothing.

I consider myself an ex-distributor, because while I still use the products, I don't actively sell them. And that was for the simple reason that I'm not a sales person. I work in IT and enjoy it.

Drop me a line if you want any advice, or want to check what your distributor is promising ;)

Sam

C burns

Sam I had my wellness assessment with the distributor last week, she was very thorough n didn't recommend that I do more than 1 shake a day as when she chkd my weight, height, body fat, bmi etc she said a maintenance plan would b more suited. I spoke to the girl the week b4 n she advised me to take a week to think about it b4 I orderd anything. She also does a home visit once a week to chk weight, see how it's going etc. this month, she has started meeting clients as a group a few times a week for large walks.

I do have faith in the distributor as I think she is very supportive but I wasn't sure if the product would suit me x

Reactions: 2 people

Mcwibble

In my opinion, I would avoid herbs life, it's protein and green tea extract at a huge cost, green tea is a few pounds, protein shakes from holland and bar rot is £16, and comes in a larger quantity, as a diabetic your kidneys don't like too much protein, unless your exercising and using it up! Sort the diet, exercise and save a fortune!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thnx, tbh I've tried everything I can think of. I did the dafne course and already so low carb diet all the time with most meals carb free. Although I dnt so a tremendous amount of exercise, I walk the dog everyday and go on the treadmill most ntes although it's mostly for a short time. I'm very keen to hear the views or advice of others.
I hav just checkd the pyramid and feel herbalife is prob just a money making scam although I've orderd n paid for 1 months supply so il give it a go but wnt b in a hurry to order anymore.
Thnx 4 ur reply x

Hi I've done herbalife and I sell it, I think it's brilliant, I lost 18lb and kept every pound off, it can be used for weight loss or gain and just for nutrition, of course people make money out of selling it, but isn't that what everybody does , and you can get a price list, I weigh my clients every week and ring them and teach them how to eat healthy, it is not a money making scan! Don't mock what you haven't tried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sam I had my wellness assessment with the distributor last week, she was very thorough n didn't recommend that I do more than 1 shake a day as when she chkd my weight, height, body fat, bmi etc she said a maintenance plan would b more suited. I spoke to the girl the week b4 n she advised me to take a week to think about it b4 I orderd anything. She also does a home visit once a week to chk weight, see how it's going etc. this month, she has started meeting clients as a group a few times a week for large walks.

I do have faith in the distributor as I think she is very supportive but I wasn't sure if the product would suit me x

You have nothing to lose and she sounds very supportive

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi i was told by my nurse not to use herbalife as its not ideal for diabetes it can cause your sugars to crash very quickly
My dietitian and nurse told me the same thing - because they didn't understand the product!

When I showed them my post-prandial blood sugar levels they agreed that it produces a much closer to normal profile than any other breakfast food I had tried. This is due to the relatively low carb / high protein ratios compared to, e.g. cereal or toast. Even wholewheat cereal fairs really badly against herbalife shakes for me!

Obviously, that's just my own body's reaction to the stuff... everyone should try different foods out for themselves in a controlled manner rather than simply accepting opinions from those who haven't researched the products and observed their effects.

Kelsie

Thnx 4 ur reply x

It sounds like you need to progress your exercise regime-nutrition and exercise go hand in hand when loosing weight. You will come to a stage where you can't loose further weight without doing both. When on the treadmill try to follow what is called an interval workout-for example maybe aim to do one minute of fast paced followed by 30 seconds of walking or jogging and repeat this for 20 minutes. You will find the time will go so much quicker and interval training has been shown to burn more calories than just say a 20 minute 'plod'. Interval training if done properly trains you within the 'weight management zone' and is something I recommend to a lot of clients looking to loose weight at the gym I work at. You could follow the same principle when walking your dog-40 seconds of fast paced walking/jogging followed by 20 seconds gentle recovery walk and repeat for 20-30 mins. Basically the most important thing is to vary your training, if you have access to a gym maybe take up one or two classes a week :) find something that you find enjoyable. Eating healthy alone won't continue you to loose weight. Hope this helps :)

Reactions: 3 people

craig81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Falam, with all due respect, go and take your views on 'curing' diabetes and stick them up your anus. Please tell me how '4 Herbs' magically switches off an autoimmune response and restores the functioning of my annihilated beta cells? And no other worldly claims to Allah, or any other God people believe in, are valid answers to that question. Seriously, it's actually f*****g insulting that you come on the type 1 forum and spout your absolute nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I think slimming world really helpful n suitable for type 1 i found that great but i also exercise a lot

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies for being a little off topic here but I read somewhere that using cannabis "recreationally" can help keep sugar levels under control... I have never used this or any other drug so am somewhat dubious but has anyone else heard of this?

Nicko2K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with Mcwibble. You dont need to pay for fancy diets or weight loss aids. You just need to know exactly what your eating, how to read food labels, and how it effects your body. This will give you alot more freedom in what you eat rather than relying on a company to supply you with a few dismal products. Also beneficial to work out obviously :-B

Mandifadza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

Sam
Hi Sam l would like to try for 3 months plse Dave ad