Weightwatchers or Slimming World?

alysonm

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Exercise, school holidays, sarcasm, bad tempered people.
I am wondering which is best for someone who is "borderline" diabetes and has been told to lose weight?

chris9996

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi Alyson,
I am biased, I also go to WW and I try to keep my choices as low carb as possible. The eating plan is pretty flexible, no foods are banned but you have to make sensible choices. The weight losses at the meetings are really good and if you can exercise they are even better.

Something I learned on here is that carbohydrates are the main felons and its them we have to thank for the weight gains. I have been reading labels for many years and only really paid attention to the "of which sugars" values and the fat content, now I endeavour to cut the carbs.
Good Luck. :)
Chris

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
If you are borderline, then put it in your head that failure to act now will result in you being diabetic sooner or later. This is a fact you can never forget and make sure you get follow up tests. Be careful with any of these paid for diet plans. There is always the danger that your weight will yoyo. Cut out or significantly reduce your starch... Mash potatoes , bread , pasta. Exercise like you love it.
Learn all there is to know about type 2 to give you the incentive to keep to you're plan to never become diabetic. There are no other choices to make.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

lizbet9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I do weightwatchers and follow pro points, healthy and filling/simple start to me are an incentive to overeat! Good luck x

L

Luna21

I lost weight just following a lower carb and sensible diet with increasing exercise as I grew a little fitter. Every diet club will work, but unfortunately it's a way of life you have to follow and not a diet per se. It's also cheaper if you can do it yourself, although I respect the fact that it is sometimes easier to stick to a diet if you are in some kind of a club and getting weighed regularly. Have you though of getting a few friends together who might want to lose weight too, and have a weekly weigh in instead?

Years ago I used both Clubs, but I found Slimming World to be the better one, as you are encouraged to eat healthily and not just count calories or points. My friend used Weight Watchers and although it's true that she lost weight, she was eating all the wrong stuff - the majority of it weight watchers biscuits, cakes yoghurts, goodies etc, rather than proper meals. It does work for many though, and all clubs have those who don't/won't follow the plan properly.
It's a good idea to cut down on your carbs too, even if you are following a low calorie type diet. It will all help.

Of course the choice is yours, and good luck with whatever you choose. You can do it, just believe in yourself.;)

Reactions: 4 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried both slimming world and weight watchers.
I find that weight watchers is much better, you're very limited on slimming world, not at all with weight watchers!
Love the new simple start plan too, really really easy.

Indiana x

alysonm

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Exercise, school holidays, sarcasm, bad tempered people.
I have been to WW many times in the past, the first time was 1987 and I got to goal then. I have done it several times since, but the thing is i always put it back on. I did it in 2011, lost two stone and looked great, but I have put it back on again. I have to do something where I wont keep yo yo dieting.

L

Luna21

I have found that lower-carbing has helped me keep my weight steady, and also helped my Blood Sugars too. It is of course a personal preference, but many on the forum have lost weight using this method. I don't very low carb, just lowER carb. ;)
Perhaps it's worth looking at?

C burns

I'm type 1 diabetic n tried slimming world for 6 months. I didn't loose weight and my blood sugars were through the roof. I think part of the problem was the fact that on sw, carbs r free so they constantly sent my readings high

avy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello There,

I joined slimming world last October 2013. I am type 2 and was taking 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 80mg Gliclazide a day. I have had a steady weight loss over that time and am now 2 stone lighter. I have just been told by my doctor that the Gliclazide can now be dropped from my medication list. I still have a way to go but I find slimming world easier than ww. I stay to the group every week to pick up any hints ot tips. It may not work for every one but slimming world is my choice. I asked my doctor if I would ever be medication free and his answer was no but my diabetes will be controlled by diet and he would prefer me to keep taking 2 x 500mg Metformin to protect vital organs such as heart, kidneys etc.
The bulk of my diet is taken up with fresh fruit & vegetables and extra lean meat and I do feel much healthier.

Hope this gives another side to the argument.

Lisamack37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, I am biased too...

I joined Slimming World in September having already lost about half a stone (to go to a wedding). I have since list another three and a half stone with only 9 pounds to go to my SW 'target' although I may try to keep going a little further! I am a typical yoyo dieter, having been everything between 10 stone and 18!stone(!) in my adult life. No wonder I am (was) struggling with type 2!

However, at 5'8" and definitely big boned (not an excuse lol) I now weigh just over 12 stone...aiming for 11 ish.
I was taking 3 grams of Metformin SR (yes really!). Am now down to 2grams and have completely stopped the Gliclazide and Sitagliptin which I have been on for years (with the consultant's approval). Have been diabetic for over 20 years btw.

My Hba1c was usually around 65 (in these new numbers) and the hospital/doc have been monitoring it more regularly as I have been tweaking my meds. My last two readings were 37 and 36 and I have been signed off from the clinic (after 14 years of twice a year), only checking in with my GP every 6 months. So happy!

The GP gives me 'occasional' prescriptions for the strips for my meter (on the recommendation of the consultant) so that I can keep an eye on my own bloods during the day, especially after the gym...me GYM ! or long walks. Yes really.

The Slimming World plan is a healthy eating lifestyle which suits me better than a 'faddy' diet but I am always aware of the need (my personal need) to eat fewer carbs. I never snack on 'sweet treats' sold at the meetings!

Sorry I've rambled on but this has changed my life. Hope my story encourages someone else to take charge (if they still can). For me it seems it was not too late....

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've tried both slimming world and weight watchers.
I find that weight watchers is much better, you're very limited on slimming world, not at all with weight watchers!
Love the new simple start plan too, really really easy.

Indiana x
I too have tried both and have the opposite view. I find WW much more restricting than SW. I love the extra easy plan. Like WW simple start but it continues.

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who value money over family/friendsip
I've tried both, I hated weight watchers plan, weighing everything and counting points and felt pressured to buy their expensive low fat ( also packed with sugar) products. I lost hardly anything over 3 months and it made me really Fed up. However my group leader was fab and I stay in touch with her even today, the meeting part was very good and actually interesting and helpful. It was encourage d to be social with the group outside meetings, with nights out and various fitness classes and events.

Slimming world I loved, brilliant recipes, encourage d to cook fresh food from scratch, got me loving cooking for first time ever. Used to batch cook and freeze, it fits in with the whole family you don't hAve to weigh out seperate portions. Diabetics can follow 'red' days which limit carbs to nice sized portions tho u still have to be sensible about eating as much as u like of 'free' foods like yogurts, I can't tolerate low fat yogurt, sends my bg thru the roof. Don't like the meeting part tho as its basically going round each person announcing how much they gained / lost which I prefer to keep private!!! Though the award stickers are great, brings out the child in you :) no useful information given really.
It depends on your situation really. Try buying a magazine/ borrow info and look which u think you could maintain long term.

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have done them both in the past, over 20 years ago. Still fat and became diabetic T2 by following advice from them and NHS dieticians to eat more carbs.

My cynical view is that the big slimming clubs have nothing to gain by getting their members to lose the weight for good. They make their profits by people returning again and again and again. They make their money by keeping us in the fat, loss, fat loop.

Don't get me started on the 'healthy' processed food they promote. Better save your money, and eat food that is fresh, that you have prepared from scratch.

Reactions: 6 people

gizmo girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found that lower-carbing has helped me keep my weight steady, and also helped my Blood Sugars too. It is of course a personal preference, but many on the forum have lost weight using this method. I don't very low carb, just lowER carb. ;)
Perhaps it's worth looking at?
Can I just ask, how long did it take to start loosing weight with low carbing???? I've been at it for 2 weeks & still gaining :-(
Sorry to change the subject slightly. Sam

Merlin24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, i have lost over a stone this year with slimming world, they encourage normal eating and cooking from scratch with fresh ingredients, the website is packed with recipes , most groups have a private facebook page for group support and sharing recipes etc, latest book is about cooking healthy versions of take away food called fake aways , theres also help on the website to convert your existing fave cookery books / recipes to know how many syns in them so you can continue to use them which is brill. Ive found it very easy to change my eating , i promise you i dont go without anything and dont eat salad !! Ive literally just converted my normal diet of kfc, curry, mc donalds , fry ups fish n chips etc to slimming world versions - did you know fish shop fish without batter is free on extra easy plan ? How. Brill is that !! Its easy to eat out, easy to go to parties / celebrations etc no one need know you are dieting ! SW magazine is a great resource too if you want to dip a toe in !

avy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that depending on the individual there is a need for these slimming groups, however we all must keep in mind that we are in control of whatever we eat. If the group did not work for you and you gained weight then you obviously were not sticking the rules. I have been on 2 fabulous cruise holidays where there was more food than you could shake a stick at and as long as the thought that I was in control of what I ate and the food was marvelous I was going to be OK. I did gain a couple of pounds but they soon went. For those of us that slimming world works for I salute your determination to make things better for yourselves. For those who poo poo the slimming group thing because of the ideas that it is a money spinning scam I say that in the last 20 years things have changed dramatically and at slimming world they promote the use of lean meat, fresh fish and lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. As far as the 'in it to make money' goes you stop paying once you reach your target weight. There are ladies in my group that have been at their target for years but still go to show encouragement to others.
When I reach my target weight I will carry on going because I will not put the weight back on and that is my choice. I joined slimming group to lose weight and it is working for me. My hubby has a saying that goes a bit like this "YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING TO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN",
I have and it is.

Reactions: 6 people