1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Weightwatchers or Slimming World?

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by alysonm, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Bev18

Bev18 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Between 80 and 100g a day.

2. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,
    There are lots of answers to that, I'm afraid...

Most people in the uk eat anywhere from 200-400g carbs a day.

The general consensus is that 120-150g/day is the beginning of the lower carb scale
    Then it gets progressively lower till you hit the very low carb zone of 50g or below.
    Some people on here are below 20g

As to what is best for you... Do you have a blood glucose meter? If so, that is the best way of judging your personal carb comfort zone. It will also let you identify problem foods (that's sugar, wheat, rice, potato and all grains, for me).

As general guidance though, most people seem to report better BG control at under 150g
    And weight loss at under 100g
    And ketosis (my favourite) at under 50g

But of course, we are all different, so we all find what works for us.

3. princess.andysmith

princess.andysmith · Newbie

Thank you that info is a great help. I have done Atkins before but can't seem to keep going on it longer than a few weeks. Perhaps a few more grammes ie 100 to 150 would help me maintain low carb eating!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

4. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Do you have a BG meter? It helps to follow an "eat to your meter" strategy as outlined here:
    http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

Other people go straight for an Atkins-style induction or follow the guidelines presented by the Diet Doctor:
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

If you are trying to lose weight as well as seeking BG control, then the last site is probably the best one to follow.

5. Rosie134

Rosie134 Prediabetes · Newbie

I was borderline diabetic. I have lost over 4 stone with Slimming World and still going. I'm completely fine now.

6. Bev18

Bev18 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think it's the borderline and diagnosed t2 it's better for. I'm going to get weighed tomorrow and see if I get better or more advice than I got last week. Have followed low carb this week. Some of the healthy extras have too many carbs in them even though I'd love some muesli etc.

Brilliant weight loss though. :)

7. colinrim

colinrim · Member

Did you know that your Diabetic Nurse can refer you to Slimming World or Weight Watchers for 3 months free?
    I got my referral today and am looking at which is best for me......

• Like Like x 2
  8. PatsyB

PatsyB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you have lost your weight and the borderline diabetes and is good news you can be refered by the Nurse for 3 months free is well worth trying then...... :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook