I have a cut

Emma23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This may be really stupid of me but I have a cut (very sore but it's quite a pathetic size) on my index finger, I think it's just a deep crack from where the skins gone dry.... So question, do I need to get it looked at?

The reason I ask, I heard a man on the news who had a tiny cut on his toe and ended up losing his leg!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi Emma, difficult to say without seeing it. I would see a doc if you're worried but I get very dry heels with cracks and I just try to keep moisturised now and plaster if required.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would get it looked at just to be on the safe side. My aunt didn't and got gangrene on her fingers and lost them.

X

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Emma if you are concerned maybe it would be best to go to see a pharmacist tomorrow who is qualified in advising treatment for the more minor medical problems and see what they recommend . Try not to get concerned about someone losing a limb because of a cut or infection. I have had 3 incidences since March and came through them well, and, thankfully all limbs in tact. Amputations can happen ( I don't know the %) I hope your finger feels better soon and heals up quickly. Best wishes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try not to worry. Just keep it clean, apply antiseptic cream and a plaster. If the finger has swollen or gone red by morning see the Pharmacist. Your natural immune system should happily fight off any infection.

Emma23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers lovelies! Thanks for the advice! It's getting slightly redder, perhaps I will get it looked at!

I was at hosp in the diabetes clinic like 2 weeks ago and who starts chatting away to me?..... A bloke with one leg and threatened if I didn't look after myself I would be like him!!

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Cheers lovelies! Thanks for the advice! It's getting slightly redder, perhaps I will get it looked at!

I was at hosp in the diabetes clinic like 2 weeks ago and who starts chatting away to me?..... A bloke with one leg and threatened if I didn't look after myself I would be like him!!

That's a decent wake up call and is sometimes just what the doctor ordered !

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bluey May 2014 013.JPG

Hi just to show you my little finger a few weeks ago. It became infected after I caught my little finger nail in my dad's old blanket box, after 8 days it was swollen and so painful I went to see a GP and got antibiotics, they worked well and my finger healed up nicely:)

Hi Emma how is your finger today, did you get some help and advice? Hope all is ok:)

Reactions: 2 people

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As long as its not infected you'll be OK . sliced my thumb open with a knife recently its healing up just fine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As long as its not infected you'll be OK . sliced my thumb open with a knife recently its healing up just fine

My little pinkie was infected ,I was ok and it got better with the antibiotics, so horrible nasty things don't always happen like removed of limbs:eek:.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I did a similar thing on a deli meat slicer, when I was cleaning it, whoa it did hurt and bleed and with only a faint scar now.:inpain:

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
View attachment 5235

Hi just to show you my little finger a few weeks ago. It became infected after I caught my little finger nail in my dad's old blanket box, after 8 days it was swollen and so painful I went to see a GP and got antibiotics, they worked well and my finger healed up nicely:)

Hi Emma how is your finger today, did you get some help and advice? Hope all is ok:)
Nice floor.
Are you going to change your name to Great Northern Diver now?

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Just read the original post again. that sounds more like a hack than a cut. Do you have dry skin all over your your hands?

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If in doubt always best to get it checked.

One of my symptoms when I presented was loss of sensation / pins and needles in my left hand. Never completely gone away so I tend to pay special attention to any injuries there and am very careful about keeping clean hands etc.

At the end of the day I think that if you are seeing a wound that doesn't seem to be healing then get it checked sooner rather than later.