Should I continue taking Ramipril?

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Just over a month ago I had my yearly review. I was told I had protein in my urine and my hba1c had gone up. (Ihad a bad March). Due to that I was put onto Ramipril 2.5mg to protect my kidneys. Recently had new blood test and new urine sample. I phoned the doctors for the results and have been told that the results are normal but to keep taking the Ramipril. No explanation though. Surely if all is ok I don't need to take it anymore?

I don't want to be taking a tablet if I really don't need it. Also as its primarily a blood pressure medication I believe that needs to be declared if I take out travel insurance. I'm not sure if there are other implications too. I'm only 35 and my blood pressure is absolutely fine.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took Ramipril 2.5mg for a while because my blood pressure was extremely high. I also had protein in my urine. When my blood pressure got better I asked to change to a different tablet because I did not like the list of possible side effects for Ramipril. I don't understand why they would want you to keep taking a drug that you no longer seem to need. My advice would be to make sure you drink plenty of water and ask your GP again if you can stop taking Ramipril. I have seen a couple of reports that say that Metformin can help protect healthy kidneys too.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I don't understand it either, if my results had come back as not great then fine. I wish I could have discussed it with someone but, no it was all messages passing through the receptionist.

I've decided I'll stop taking them until I next see someone and can discuss it.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you not make an appointment to see your GP? I have been on Ramipril for a long time and I do have high BP, so I wouldn't consider not taking it without talking to my doctor.

mark no sugar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I've had 2 kidney transplants and have had very dangerous high bp.now with my new transplant my bp is fine now ,but I was told to keep taking my bp tablets .i didn't and now I suffer from very high pulse rate.Dont stop taking tablets unless your GP or consultant tells you too.

Reactions: 2 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well ive decided that I will phone the doctors in the morning for a telephone appointment to ask them why I should keep taking them, im only taking them as they found protein in my urine, that could have been an infection. Apparently my recent test was all normal.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I really can't see the harm in taking it, at 2.5mg it's a small dose anyway and it does protect the kidneys as your Dr says. I've taken Ramipril for several years after getting diabetic retinopathy, I take a 5mg dose and never had any side-effects, not even the cough that is sometimes associated with taking this drug.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well I finally got to speak to a doctor on the phone yesterday afternoon, and after a discussion she agreed that I will stop the Ramipril for now and in about 4 weeks I'll take another urine sample to be tested.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well I finally got to speak to a doctor on the phone yesterday afternoon, and after a discussion she agreed that I will stop the Ramipril for now and in about 4 weeks I'll take another urine sample to be tested.

Hope it all goes well Lenny, let us know how you get on.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done.

mark no sugar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Great news.glad your got the outcome you wanted.the best people who know our bodies is our selfs.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Just on the Ramipril question I've been put on 5mg daily as I've got albuminuria which my GP told me is the early stages of diabetic kidney disease and I need to go on it to protect them. I'm also taking a potassium -sparing diuretic Spironolactone 100mg daily for the last 5 years. I've been told this combination is not great as I need my potassium levels checked regular as I might be prone to too much potassium in my body (hyperkalaemia) which has been known to cause sudden cardiac arrest. Should I be worried or just put up with it ? Thanks