Gym

sarah1282

So I've just been to join my local gym and wasn't allowed to join until I get a written letter of permission from my GP? ???? I don't understand why I need permission and im hoping someone on here can help explain it to me. I know how to look after my self during and after exercise. Just felling annoyed that just because I'm a type 1 I can't just do something as simple as join a gym.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a risk averse culture thing! They want a medical professional to say that yes you know what you are doing (they don't trust us) so that they can claim due diligence if you have any kind of incident.

I always just take plenty of fast acting hypo stuff in with me (2 water bottles, 1 water 1 oh s*$t bottle) though that is because I lose hypo awareness when exercising.

GP should provide it and there should NOT be a charge, if the surgery try to charge you then just make an apt with your GP and lay it out face to face. Otherwise go back another day and don't tell them :O

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
They have a duty of care to ensure any member with any medical condition is safe to use the facilities ( and to avoid any possible legal action ). Diabetics are also not meant to use saunas or whirlpool baths but I do. Moral of the story is you don't have to tell everyone everything about your condition.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wait, we aren't supposed to use saunas or whirlpools? In that case I am a VERY naughty boy! :)

Reactions: 4 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've joined a few gyms as I've moved around the country, but I've never been asked to provide a letter from my GP. GP letters are expensive, at around £25.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Was already a gym member, council run sports centre when diagnosed. I did inform reception I was type 1 diabetic and a note put on my details, just in case anything was to happen. Never been asked for a doctors note as, I think already signed a letter when joining to declare full responsibility of myself should I get any injuries, think its a standard letter so you can't sue them, which should be sufficient.

Kelsie

So I've just been to join my local gym and wasn't allowed to join until I get a written letter of permission from my GP? ???? I don't understand why I need permission and im hoping someone on here can help explain it to me. I know how to look after my self during and after exercise. Just felling annoyed that just because I'm a type 1 I can't just do something as simple as join a gym.

I work as a gym instructor and a type one myself, i know it is super annoying but it's due to insurance purposes. We have so much paperwork to fill out to say that we have the correct documentation from medical personnel saying that you are able to exercise. It's all just in case you were to have an accident/become unconscious as a result of your diabetes and then the insurance/court company see that we haven't retrieved medical documentation then the health club is seen as negligent. It's a pain in the ass I know but it's something that has to be done unfortunately. The gym should have provided you with a GP referral letter which basically needs the doctor to sign it and declare whether there are any activities that should be avoided-normally you can just drop the letter into your GP reception and collect it a couple days later :)

Kelsie

I've joined a few gyms as I've moved around the country, but I've never been asked to provide a letter from my GP. GP letters are expensive, at around £25.
You shouldn't be charged as the gym are meant to give you a already filled out letter with a standardised declaration which literally just needs a signature from the doctor :) I have worked at a gym for six years and never heard of a member saying that they were charged when returning the doctors form!

Kelsie

Oh I also forgot to say that the gym should have said to you that you can use the gym in the mean time whilst waiting for the doctor to sign your letter as long as you sign a declaration basically saying that you are entering the gym at your own risk and take full responsibility etc etc.