Off the Metformin: Diary

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few weeks ago my 2 x 500 ordinary metformin was reduced to 500 sr. The reduction worked well and kept my bg down.

A couple of weeks ago I saw the nurse for the first time since my HbA1c result of 35. I had been feeling dizzy and the nurse felt I could probably come off the metformin. I was a little hesitant so she suggested I change back to the ordinary metformin so that it just reacted with my evening meal. I've been doing that for a week now and bg levels still about the same.

I forgot to take it with my meal this evening, so I've decided to try without it.

I thought I'd keep a record of my progress here.

As my next HbA1c is not until the end of November I thought it was an ideal opportunity to test the water so to speak. Ha ha it have time to screw it all up and put it right again.

I thought I would try two weeks.

My reading at 9.20pm was. 5.1 which is about the usual level.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i agree with zand, sounds like a great plan, and your doing so well :)

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the support. It just seems like a window of opportunity, too good to miss.

When I'm at school it's difficult to monitor bg levels after 1 hour and 2 hours. I can't leave the classroom. It might be after 45 minutes or 90 minutes. Can't be helped. If I eat at 6:30 I can get two tests in before the school day begins. Lunch eaten about 12:15 so test at 12:55 and 2pm. That will have to do.

Any problems and I'll consult with the nurse and return to the metformin. I'm keeping an open mind to ensure I don't get too disappointed if my efforts fail.

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im in the same boat. Stopped totally just over a week ago. I have found so far that the swings are much wilder and more erratic. The rise and fall can be much steeper. However, the falls might not get as low before the liver starts dumping again. Its a real roller coaster at the moment. Not helped by my carbing out on chinese and strong lager yesterday - a big lesson learnt there as im really struggling to get the level down - have taken a gliclazide to try and help.

how are you getting on?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gfmoore
There have been a few threads about apple cider vinegar and its effect on BG. I'd been taking a tablespoon very regularly with each meal and before bed and honestly thought it wasn't making much difference. It is meant to work in a similar way to metformin. I got pretty lax with it and then noticed that my BG levels were going higher and staying higher for longer. So now I'm back to my strict routine of taking it all the time. Worth a try to see if it helps.

Reactions: 2 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im in the same boat. Stopped totally just over a week ago. I have found so far that the swings are much wilder and more erratic. The rise and fall can be much steeper. However, the falls might not get as low before the liver starts dumping again. Its a real roller coaster at the moment. Not helped by my carbing out on chinese and strong lager yesterday - a big lesson learnt there as im really struggling to get the level down - have taken a gliclazide to try and help.

how are you getting on?
I've only just started. ;-)

Try to resist the temptation. I just would never dare have a carb fest. Fear. I'll see what happens one day at a time. I can remove some carbs from my allowance if necessary.

Take care and be careful.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gfmoore
There have been a few threads about apple cider vinegar and its effect on BG. I'd been taking a tablespoon very regularly with each meal and before bed and honestly thought it wasn't making much difference. It is meant to work in a similar way to metformin. I got pretty lax with it and then noticed that my BG levels were going higher and staying higher for longer. So now I'm back to my strict routine of taking it all the time. Worth a try to see if it helps.
I bought some last week. I don't know how to take it. I tried a teaspoon in a glass of water one day then the next I had it straight from the spoon. I forgot about it since. I'll begin again tomorrow. I also have cinnamon and a secret weapon from India courtesy of my friend's father :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The easiest way to take it for me is as a shot from a medicine glass, followed very quickly by water. I used to drink it diluted in water or in tea, but found the prolonged contact with my teeth made them very sensitive. Taking it as a shot isn't pleasant, but you get used to it.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The easiest way to take it for me is as a shot from a medicine glass, followed very quickly by water. I used to drink it diluted in water or in tea, but found the prolonged contact with my teeth made them very sensitive. Taking it as a shot isn't pleasant, but you get used to it.
Ok thanks. But a tablespoon?!! Ok ...

Woke at 05:50 tested at 06:10

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just ask why you want to come off/ need to come off the metformin? My GP is keen for me to stay on it even when/if I lose weight and reduce BS levels. He argues that it has protective benefits for the organs so if you can tolerate it, it's worth taking it. Was it the dizziness or something else ?

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cider Vinegar - I tried it for a week, but didn't help the dawn phenomenon which I was hoping it would do. I can't stand the taste, my wife loves it. Yes about a tablespoon at night in about ten gallons of water, followed by something that tastes different. Helps with the morning loo visit if nothing else.

Coming off mets - because I have a dry cough which is driving me nuts and I cant get rid off (10 weeks now - at about the time we had that Saharan sand and "pollution" in Feb? Mar? - something weird there.

Anyway still have (a semblance of cough) so perhaps not metf, which would be good as I don't have an issue with metf per se and it certainly helps stabilise the bg level. Thinking it might be my deodorant now, so have come off that, so don't come too close as I probably stink! :)

I do get fed up of all the pills I was popping though.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you find so puzzling about the tablespoon dose?

Found this article on the various health benefits of ACV:
http://draxe.com/apple-cider-vinegar-tried-and-true-health-help-or-hype/

Also, Dr Jason Fung's recommendations on vinegar (+ fat & fibre):
http://kidneylifescience.ca/general/there-are-how-many-kinds-of-salt-idm-3/
Nothing puzzling lol, I'm just approaching a tablespoonful of it with trepidation! :)

Thanks for links. Will look later. Just eaten and now off on my walk.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just ask why you want to come off/ need to come off the metformin? My GP is keen for me to stay on it even when/if I lose weight and reduce BS levels. He argues that it has protective benefits for the organs so if you can tolerate it, it's worth taking it. Was it the dizziness or something else ?

I was put straight onto metformin immediately on diagnosis because my HbA1c was 115. Usually, at my practice, newbies are given the chance to control with diet and exercise alone. By February my HbA1c was 52 and meds reduced from 3 to 2 doses. May HbA1c was 35. Metformin reduced to 1 dose. But I still had the dizziness and for several months I've suffered from dead hands in the night and recently one foot sometimes. I want to see if the metformin is the culprit. I also want the chance to see if I can control with diet and exercise alone. I want the chance I didn't get on diagnosis. I've worked extremely hard to get to this point (with the help of all the good people here).
I know all about the benefits metformin can give but I want to try and I'm not about to sit on my backside and and do nothing just because my results are better. I keep myself fit and active.

Were all different and I want to have a go.

Reactions: 9 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was put straight onto metformin immediately on diagnosis because my HbA1c was 115. Usually, at my practice, newbies are given the chance to control with diet and exercise alone. By February my HbA1c was 52 and meds reduced from 3 to 2 doses. May HbA1c was 35. Metformin reduced to 1 dose. But I still had the dizziness and for several months I've suffered from dead hands in the night and recently one foot sometimes. I want to see if the metformin is the culprit. I also want the chance to see if I can control with diet and exercise alone. I want the chance I didn't get on diagnosis. I've worked extremely hard to get to this point (with the help of all the good people here).
I know all about the benefits metformin can give but I want to try and I'm not about to sit on my backside and and do nothing just because my results are better. I keep myself fit and active.

Were all different and I want to have a go.

Indeed. I can see that it's something you want to do and that you'll give it your best shot. I wasn't given option either and when I said will I be able to stop when I lose my excess weight , the answer appeared to be a resounding no because of the protective benefits of it. I suppose given that us T2s aren't meant to be testing that they think it covers all eventualities between routine blood tests. At least testing you'll know soon enough whether you need to restart it.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
06:05 = 5.1
06:55 = 5
07:22 = 4.7

08:00. Breakfast: 21g carbs
A scrambled egg/cheddar on burgen toast. Olives. Plain yoghurt and milled linseed ( with sesame, cranberries and blueberries).

09:37 = 6
10:21 = 5.8
12:05 = 5.1

Lunch: 25g carbs
Mackerel in olive oil on multiseed slice of toast. Cucumber. Plain Yoghurt with fresh blueberries and strawberries.

12:30. YouTube Zumba - 10 mins

14:14 = 5.5
15:26 = 4.9
18:26 = 4.6
19:05
Dinner: 18g carbs
Brazil nuts, olives and cucumber followed by:
Veg and mushroom stir fry with home baked salmon fillet in lemon juice.
20g of 85% dark chocolate

20:15 = 5.8

45 minute brisk walk

21:15 = 5.2

Time will tell.
I'm going for a slice of cheese :)

Lunch was toast again because I forgot to order my salad from the school kitchen. :-(