Waking up with High sugars

abelina1

Hi,

I seem to be waking up each morning with high sugars of around 18-20!
Does anyone have any ideas on how i can stop this from happening.
It puts me out for the rest of the day.

I'm on lantus and novorapid.

I take 28 lantus and then novarapid varies according to my 3 meals each day.

sjb2610

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like you're getting a major boost in the early hours from the wonderful (sic) dawn phenomenon.

Have you tried doing a 3am blood test (my DSN's favourite instrument of torture)?

But it sounds like your lantus dose may not be right

Reactions: 2 people

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I have the same problem, I test throughout the night and I am not dropping then rebounding. When I wake up I always have to take an extra dose of Novorapid, amount depends on how high the reading. If I try to have a lie in then my levels shoot up into the 20's. My consultant has not got any answers and puts it down to extreme insulin resistance in the morning. He is happy with the measures I take to overcome it

Lorna

abelina1

Thankyou for your reply. I haven't tried testing at 3am. Perhaps I need to try this and see what my results are at this time. Would I then adjust the insulin according to the results of the blood test?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am also on lantus and novo rapid .
I would check the night time bm and see what is happening , then adjust .
If this doesn't work , and your bms do not come down . Then maybe you will have to talk to your diabetes care team .

I had a problem like this , and it was that my lantus wasn't making that last stretch of working time like it should of been , and was told to split my doses . So I have lantus in the morning and at night . But I'm not suggesting to do this yourself as you will need to talk to your diabetes team or doctor .
I'm just saying what I was told to do and it did sort things out as I had tried everything else .

Hope this helped .

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
You might not have enough background insulin. When I reduced my night time levemir by just one unit, it made a huge difference to me

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am also on lantus and novo rapid .
I would check the night time bm and see what is happening , then adjust .
If this doesn't work , and your bms do not come down . Then maybe you will have to talk to your diabetes care team .

I had a problem like this , and it was that my lantus wasn't making that last stretch of working time like it should of been , and was told to split my doses . So I have lantus in the morning and at night . But I'm not suggesting to do this yourself as you will need to talk to your diabetes team or doctor .
I'm just saying what I was told to do and it did sort things out as I had tried everything else .

Hope this helped .

This is what i do, morning lantus and night then correct highs / meals with novarapid.

I sometimes higher the lantus if i think it will raise in the night due to slow release carbs.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its probably not enough lantus. Even few units make a massive difference. you should go to bed and wake up with roughly the same reading.

Reactions: 2 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is what i do, morning lantus and night then correct highs / meals with novarapid.

I sometimes higher the lantus if i think it will raise in the night due to slow release carbs.

Yeah that's what I do , change and tweak when ever is necessary . And it seems to be working , glad it is for you too .
:)

lely

I'm on Levimir and Novorapid. Levimir in morning results in morning highs but at night it results in good starts to the day. What time do you do your background insulin, might help to change time.