Off the Metformin: Diary

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those readings look great to me. How do you feel about them?

Surprised!

I was expecting them to creep up.

I'm happy too but it's only the first day. There might be some medication still in my system - not sure how it works. Last dose was Saturday evening.

My diet will be a little repetitive for a while. I've just realised I've had fish twice today ha ha.

One thing about my new eating habits that I adore ... Olives!! I discovered them 7 years ago but since diagnosis I've eaten mountains of 'em!! Yum!!

Edit: groves not mountains

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apple cider vinegar went down well:)

I have only just noticed this thread peacetrain.
I have also stopped Metformin, 2weeks ago. With approval of GP practice nurse. My fasting BGs were so low in hospital early this year that it had nurses panicking and wanting to give me glucose.
Even though my blood glucose has been non-diabetic level almost 3years, GP wanted me to stay on medication due to needing 2 separate surgical operations, and me not being very mobile, and still overweight. I am nervous about stopping it, but also relieved. Despite reported benefits of medication, I believe that as I get older it is better not to have so many prescription drugs. They all have potential side effects, and possibly interact negatively with each other.

I don't test BG on a regular basis, so have to wait a few more weeks for a HbA1c test.

Hope it goes well for you.
Pipp

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only just noticed this thread peacetrain.
I have also stopped Metformin, 2weeks ago. With approval of GP practice nurse. My fasting BGs were so low in hospital early this year that it had nurses panicking and wanting to give me glucose.
Even though my blood glucose has been non-diabetic level almost 3years, GP wanted me to stay on medication due to needing 2 separate surgical operations, and me not being very mobile, and still overweight. I am nervous about stopping it, but also relieved. Despite reported benefits of medication, I believe that as I get older it is better not to have so many prescription drugs. They all have potential side effects, and possibly interact negatively with each other.

I don't test BG on a regular basis, so have to wait a few more weeks for a HbA1c test.

Hope it goes well for you.
Pipp

Is it going ok?

I don't know why but I always feel dizzy when I'm around 5 and below. It's not below 4 yet I am light headed. Initially my nurse said it was my body getting accustomed to lower levels but it's still happening.

I think if there is ever the need to go on to statins, I've avoided so far, I'd rather not be on metformin at the same time. That way it's easier to attribute side effects.

Wishing you well Pipp, and thanks. :)

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My bg is totally crazy since I came off the metf. Okay I had the carb blowout on Saturday, but I cant get control at the moment. Here's my graph of last few days.

upload_2014-6-10_8-37-40.png

You can see the massive! peak on Sat, but note the elevated levels that struggle to come down, except for yesterday when I thought I'd cracked it and then had my protein tea - sausages, scrambled eggs and cheese, strawberries and cream. Bang zoomed up again. Must have eaten too many strawbs? (About 6 or so). That never happened on the metf. That meal wouldn't even have registered. You can see a slight rise from low peak, then a dip (for no apparent reason), then tea. I didn't test my bg during last night, so don't know if level dipped and rose as normal, but it was 12:30 by time I slept (last but one data point), so if it did it wouldn't have got much chance to dip before liver started dumping at 2am.

This has really mucked up my beautiful graph of reduced bgs - lol

I'm going to try and fast today and see where I can get it. If not sorted by end of week then I think I'll have to slowly start on a low dose of metformin and see if/how my cough responds. (Which is at a low stage at moment, but still there.)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it going ok?

I don't know why but I always feel dizzy when I'm around 5 and below. It's not below 4 yet I am light headed. Initially my nurse said it was my body getting accustomed to lower levels but it's still happening.

I think if there is ever the need to go on to statins, I've avoided so far, I'd rather not be on metformin at the same time. That way it's easier to attribute side effects.

Wishing you well Pipp, and thanks. :)

I don't feel any different to how I did before. I mean, when BG was out of control I was sleepy, itchy, foggy brained, thirsty. I don't have all that now. I have been feeling better with the exercise, and I haven't been getting headaches like I used ro. Not sure if that is due to the change in diet, increased exercise or coming off the Metformin. Blood glucose had been normal for so long though, prior to stopping Metformin, that it is difficult to know. Maybe I should test BG? Don't feel like starting that again though, I did get a bit obsessed with the numbers.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a good day today. I haven't felt well at all. I felt my heart was racing a bit ... like a panic attack ... heart in mouth and my pulse rate up to 82. It had been 72. It was worse when bg higher. Highest reading today was 6.5 - not a level I would usually see :-(
Colleagues at work have been absent due to sickness so I don't know if I'm coming down with something or it's my body adjusting to higher levels of bg.
06:45 = 5.5
07:45 = 22g carbs breakfast

10:14 = 6.5!!!!!
11:06 = 5.7
12;10 = 15g carbs lunch

12:30 = 20 mins brisk walk
14;07 = 6.1
15:32 = 5.5

16:23 = 15 mins you tube zumba

16:53 = 5.2
19:30 = 4.8 before evening meal ... must try to eat a little earlier

20:00 = finished evening meal incl 11g carbs
21:08 = 5.2

21:25 = 35 mins brisk walk
22:06 = 5.8
22:44 = 6
23:56 = 6.1

A little different to yesterday!!!

Is it possible to experience withdrawal symptoms I wonder?

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Not a good day today. I haven't felt well at all. I felt my heart was racing a bit ... like a panic attack ... heart in mouth and my pulse rate up to 82. It had been 72. It was worse when bg higher. Highest reading today was 6.5 - not a level I would usually see :-(
Colleagues at work have been absent due to sickness so I don't know if I'm coming down with something or it's my body adjusting to higher levels of bg.

12;10 = 15g carbs lunch

14;07 = 6.1

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

12;10 = 15g carbs lunch

14;07 = 6.1

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi peacetrain

Sorry you have not bern feeling too well.
Please forgive me for asking, but could your symptoms be due to something other than stopping Metformin? We can get other things as well as diabetes related stuff. For example, I felt ill yesterday, had an asthma attack in the swimming pool. Hadn't had asthma attack for ages, but did not attribute it to stopping Metformin, just to allergens and being a dope trying to hard at exercise.
Hope you don't mind me mentioning it, but you did say some colleagues are off work, could that cause extra stress for you? Also, are you anxious / stressed, and is anxiety making you a bit over-concerned about the BG readings?
If I am mistaken please choose just to ignore. I do hope you feel better today.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suffer badly from anxiety and have all the symptoms you described on a daily, nay hourly basis. Currently they are worse because my GP has asked me to monitor my BP at home as it's always high in surgery and he isn't sure whether it's high because of white coat syndrome or just high. Of course, he hasn't worked out that it'll be just as high self-testing as I'm now worrying about it all day. So I wonder, like @Pipp, if you are getting a little bit anxious about testing, knowing that you have come off the meds? Might it be worth having a day off from testing, unless you feel odd or eat something new, just to shift focus away from it for a bit?

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Uhmm, I haven't felt that great since I came off the metf or due to my carb blowout. I feel a little heavy in the head, slight headache, no real stress, but do have a very painful gum/tooth ache - like an abscess, but dentist said my tooth was fine - doesn't feel it, very sensitive. Also since Sat/Sunday.

I don't know, you try to control one variable and other things get in the way. I can now understand why medical testing and research is so unpredictable.

I've also had some thoughts about coming of the metf. I understand it controls the generation of glucose from glycogen stores in the liver - slows it down, so no liver dumps (please correct me if I'm wrong - I must check the references). Once that restraint is gone then surely the liver will be trying to use up its glycogen stores (and then the body can move on to ketosis). I think my liver must be now doing this, hence my large spikes and unpredictable spikes. I shall give it a few more days. (Sorry for the same info as in what's my morning reading thread, but it seems to fit in both places - I know, double poster!!)

However, your figures (peacetrain) look great, well done.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
@peacetrain,

Have read your total contribution - it seems to me that you are the nearest to being a non-diabetic that we see here and yet, of course, you still ARE a diabetic. There are those amongst us that would give all that we have to be as consistent and with as low bg's as yourself.

Your problem is simply that you are overdoing everything and not getting on with your life. The panic situation is being caused by this. There are those that hypo as low as 3 but I am certain that there are many, perhaps the mean average, that start to notice dizziness and mood changes at 5 and below.

I feel that you are very much younger than myself (in my 70's) and wished that I had been diagnosed very much earlier in order that I could have physically done something about my condition in time You, on the other hand, have grasped your condition by the scrotum and have maintained a level at which you will live a long and fruitful life but only if you stop complaining about a level of 6.5 occasionally rearing its ugly head.

With best wishes,

Rob

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My numbers may have been low but that was with the aide of Metformin.

I'll be 57 in November, so not too far behind you.

I've tried hard to keep the carb intake low, between 50 and 80. Now I've stopped the medication I may have to reduce to 30g max 50g .

I'm sorry if I seem overly obsessive but I can't help it. I DO understand that I am lucky compared to some. The feeling that my heart is beating faster is concerning me more than anything. However, it may just be some kind of withdrawal symptom, so I'll see what effect a few more days has.

We all have our personal trials and tribulations which are important to us. I don't expect anyone to feel how I feel about my situation. They have their own journey. I'm just thinking aloud here.

Thanks for your comments. All are welcome and they all help. :)