your first post, have you looked back?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, today i went back and found my first ever post, it was quite emotional reading it but has really given me a sense of achievement seeing how far I've come, it brought back some horrible memories but generally was a good experience looking back, its also made me remember why i post here because of the life saving experience i found when i first found the forum, so if you haven't done it, have a look :) (a shame that lots of the people that helped me are gone)

Reactions: 10 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just tried this interesting exercise. I had already been testing myself with a meter for six months before I joined this forum so I appear to have hit the ground running. I am still pushing the same opinions that I did in 2012.

The only difference I can see is that I persevered a little more in the early days. I would debate and argue quite happily. Since I learned that I am likely to get an argument no matter what I say I now take the philosophical view and don't respond as keenly as before.

Reactions: 3 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Less than 3 months ago in my case but interesting to see how green I was - although that wasn't my fault, it's common to most newbies. It didn't take long before I got the idea though, coupla days at most.

Reactions: 2 people

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, what a journey. I didn't read all of the thread, but the first few posts were amazing. What made you decide you had to contact the forum and get "help" - if that's the right view?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Um..... yes thanks. I've looked at my early posts and remembered how hard it was to try to become part of the forum. Then I looked at the first post on my thread which was only 10 weeks ago. So I had 2 targets......one to walk 12 miles ...well I've now done 14 miles in a day. The other was to lose 105 pounds..... and I have achieved 22% of this one, which I suppose is OK for just 10 weeks. Thank you.:)

Reactions: 9 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Um..... yes thanks. I've looked at my early posts and remembered how hard it was to try to become part of the forum. Then I looked at the first post on my thread which was only 10 weeks ago. So I had 2 targets......one to walk 12 miles ...well I've now done 14 miles in a day. The other was to lose 105 pounds..... and I have achieved 22% of this one, which I suppose is OK for just 10 weeks. Thank you.:)
Bloody brilliant.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It would be quite funny if we could actually post our first ever posts ! What was yours Andy ?

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
I had been on other forums so didn't do the introduce yourself bit on here as I have found them tedious and I do regret that because having been around a while now I can see that the welcome given to newbies is just stunning. It's comforting and helpful too. I have thought about introducing myself, albeit a little late but that would just be silly ;) I more or less got the answer to my first post though, was mighty impressed with all the reading I did and went ahead and turned my life around.

Thanks guys :happy:

Reactions: 6 people
K

Kat100

I had been on other forums so didn't do the introduce yourself bit on here as I have found them tedious and I do regret that because having been around a while now I can see that the welcome given to newbies is just stunning. It's comforting and helpful too. I have thought about introducing myself, albeit a little late but that would just be silly ;) I more or less got the answer to my first post though, was mighty impressed with all the reading I did and went ahead and turned my life around.

Popsy , it is nice to have you around, you always seems to fly in a bit like Mary Poppins :angelic::happy::joyful:

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Popsy , it is nice to have you around, you always seems to fly in a bit like Mary Poppins :angelic::happy::joyful:

That's hysterical, if there's one person I have never thought of myself as it's Mary Poppins! :hilarious:
You a funny kitty kat ain't yah? :happy::cat:

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This was my first post ,13th Oct last year. I was SO scared lol

"About 3 years ago my meter told me several times I was "Hi", (over 35 I think). lowest was this Saturday 2.2. Since I started low carbing a month ago, I'm hypoing couple times a day. Luckily I still have good hypo awareness,

Btw, hello everyone lol. I've been reading about you all for a couple of months, but first time I've been brave enough to post lol :thumbup:"

Still don't post much, but I read lots of posts every day. The advice & friendliness on here has been a life saver~thank you everyone

Smartie xx

Reactions: 6 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
It would be quite funny if we could actually post our first ever posts ! What was yours Andy ?

Hello, I'm sorry I haven't read many posts and I apologise if this has been asked before, I was drinking like a fish and wife made me test my blood, my number was 24.9 so I rang the out of hours doctor who saw me and said I had something in my blood and I had to go to a&e I spend most of last night up there and they have said I have high blood pressure 250 over 150 and have now put me on metphormin and some blood pressure capsules, I have basically eaten nothing much today because the doc said I can't eat sugar at all, I can hardly even read anything on the net, it's all bad, the more I read the worse this seems, I'm 42 and never been I'll I'm my life..... I'm totally freaked out and life seems to have been turned upside down, I have 2 wonderful kids and could do with seeing them grow up, can this be a mistake? Can blood sugar just be a blip, could I go to the docs and he say it's all fine? Sigh I'm sorry I'm rambling, if this isn't a bad dream......is life liveable with this?

Reactions: 4 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
then

Hello, thanks for the great kind replies, I went to the doctor today who was relaxed about things which helps, I was a little disappointed because my level went up to 18 this morning but apparently that's just because it hasn't settled down yet, well below the twenties I was at so I suppose this good, I have a blood test on Wednesday and dietician on the 19th so hopefully that will go well,.... I was thinking of keeping a diary (first one ever) and testing my blood 2 hours after ever meal so I can work out what makes my sugar go p, do you think it's too soon and I should wait until they decide what medicine I should be on? I have key tomes in my blood but don't have acidosis so I'm not sure what that means yet,.... I went shopping today to find something delicious that I can eat but didn't find anything hehe, so I'm just eating fruit mainly,

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
isnt it funny how we all sound the same :) and whod have known what a pain in the **** id become lol

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

hi, welcome :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
**** Andy, eating only fruit? Clearly you still had a lot to learn, lol. Aren't you glad you found the people who put you on the right path? What you've achieved since those days is an inspiration.

Reactions: 3 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This got me thinking, but seems like the posts don't go back further than the forum upgrade. I still kick myself now that I didn't go searching on the net when I was first diagnosed. Not even really sure why the idea didn't occur to me, because I'd been online for years by that stage. Not even sure why I decided to look, but I think one of the first sites I found was Blood Sugar 101 and it completely blew my mind - it was so totally different to everything I'd been told by the "authorities" like the diabetes educator and the official websites but it all made so much sense from the first word. I found Paleo/Primal around the same time, so decided to switch to the dark side.

I was diagnosed in March 2012, but didn't join my first forum (different one) till July 2012 and didn't find this one till September 2012. I still wish I'd looked right off the bat and had the chance to try the Newcastle Diet first, curses!

Edited to say: managed to work out how to find my first post - I didn't make an introduction post, naughty me, but the first post to lure me out of lurkdom was on my favourite subject - Vitamin D and the change getting it right made to my life, so I'm still banging on about the same stuff, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK I have thought about this a bit more (sorry).:) I looked at the forum a few times before I posted. I didn't find anything that really 'grabbed me' until a couple of years after diagnosis. I only started posting because of kman's 'terminal and scared' thread. I never intended to do any more than that, I certainly never intended to start my own thread and ask for help, so I didn't do an introduction then. So thanks for starting that thread of yours @kman, without it I would have been so alone right now. After that I stayed because some of you made me laugh (Hi, Andy12345) and cheered me up during some very dark days in Feb/March. When I started my thread, the support was amazing, I really didn't expect that...and yes @Squire Fulwood you were one of those giving me great advice and encouragement, just like you did with Andy. So I suppose what I am trying to say is we all matter don't we? We might think we're not important and that no-one cares what we think, but it's not true. This really is a community. Thanks guys.

Reactions: 7 people