any type 1's on metformin, glyclazide or victoza?

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
any type 1's on metformin, glyclazide or victoza? or have knowledge or experience of?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I'm T1 and also take Metformin. I was told it helps with insulin sensitivity.

debbiiee

Glyclazide isn't for type 1. It stimulates the release of insulin from beta cells in type 2... Victoza is an incretin mimetic that will help a lot with carb cravings, inhibiting glucagon etc. As mo said, metformin increases insulin sensitivity, but as a recent report says- metformin inhibits gluconeogenesis & inhibits glucagon release thereby providing better control. I hope this helps. U can find victoza users in the forum..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Thanks. Id been on metformin for a few years ...off for a time and now trying again. Tried glyc for 6 weeks but dr said its an old medicine he doesn't prescribe much. Pharmacist has said glyc could be dangerous as may drop sugars too much...but that is what I need to get the insulin down.....she suggested victoza

debbiiee

Thanks. Id been on metformin for a few years ...off for a time and now trying again. Tried glyc for 6 weeks but dr said its an old medicine he doesn't prescribe much. Pharmacist has said glyc could be dangerous as may drop sugars too much...but that is what I need to get the insulin down.....she suggested victoza

I never knew that type 1s are prescribed glyclazide...
Take care:)

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a Type 2 on metformin and gliclazide. Gliclazide stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin, so I wouldn't think it be much use to a Type 1.

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
I think sometimes its the job the medication does that we dont know about or the reason its prescibed. Trial and error. I was on an antibiotic twice that dropped my insulin requirements by a third in a week!... so I asked if there was a similar derivative from that drug available in another. Eventually the answer came back as glyclazide. The dr said the drug was old and not prescribed much any more so he stopped it at 6 weeks as he said it wasnt doing much. But since then a pharmacist has said he may have stopped it incase I got sudden hypos. So I need something to get my levels down. I have also tried byetta but it made me very sick which I had partially expected but I feel these thing's are worth a try. Victoza has been suggested now...but not by dr.... that appointment is due soon

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1 on slow-release metformin (1000mg) and victoza (1.2mg) :happy:

I've been on the metformin for years but I was recently the first type 1 that my consultant tried with Victoza. Good results so far.

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
I'm type 1 on slow-release metformin (1000mg) and victoza (1.2mg) :happy:

I've been on the metformin for years but I was recently the first type 1 that my consultant tried with Victoza. Good results so far.
I would love to hear more about how you're finding it.....

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Type 1, but my endo agreed to add metformin SR (1500mg) to my regime at my request to see if it helped insulin sensitivity and consequently weight loss - I have a very irritating 10kg gain since diagnosis and insulin therapy. FYI I think I may need to increase to 2000+ mg to see weightloss benefit in Type 1 - this 10 kg still proving hard to shift :(

But my endo is generally very supportive of using metformin in any event (if you don't have side effects - fortunately I don't) as there's some evidence it has cancer protective actions as well - so great upside for limited downside and its cheap!

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/research-updates/2013/metformin

Unfortunately I cannot locate the link - I did previously have a video link to a US obesity expert who felt metformin should be a treatment of choice for everyone with metabolic syndrome and should be prescribed well before full blown diabetes is diagnosed. (cheap, relatively safe drug and doesn't cause weight gain - I would take this any day before statins!)

Re other drugs my initial c-peptide and GAD antibodies tests suggest that for me there are no pancreatic beta cells left to stimulate...so glycazide and victoza not so relevant in my case. ;)

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would love to hear more about how you're finding it.....

I will send you a private message about it if you like - I can't do it right now but didn't want you to think I was ignoring you! :happy:

debbiiee

I think sometimes its the job the medication does that we dont know about or the reason its prescibed. Trial and error. I was on an antibiotic twice that dropped my insulin requirements by a third in a week!... so I asked if there was a similar derivative from that drug available in another. Eventually the answer came back as glyclazide. The dr said the drug was old and not prescribed much any more so he stopped it at 6 weeks as he said it wasnt doing much. But since then a pharmacist has said he may have stopped it incase I got sudden hypos. So I need something to get my levels down. I have also tried byetta but it made me very sick which I had partially expected but I feel these thing's are worth a try. Victoza has been suggested now...but not by dr.... that appointment is due soon

Its quite interesting. May i know the name of the antibiotic please?
Regards
debbie

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Type 1, but my endo agreed to add metformin SR (1500mg) to my regime at my request to see if it helped insulin sensitivity and consequently weight loss - I have a very irritating 10kg gain since diagnosis and insulin therapy. FYI I think I may need to increase to 2000+ mg to see weightloss benefit in Type 1 - this 10 kg still proving hard to shift :(

But my endo is generally very supportive of using metformin in any event (if you don't have side effects - fortunately I don't) as there's some evidence it has cancer protective actions as well - so great upside for limited downside and its cheap!

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/research-updates/2013/metformin

Unfortunately I cannot locate the link - I did previously have a video link to a US obesity expert who felt metformin should be a treatment of choice for everyone with metabolic syndrome and should be prescribed well before full blown diabetes is diagnosed. (cheap, relatively safe drug and doesn't cause weight gain - I would take this any day before statins!)

Re other drugs my initial c-peptide and GAD antibodies tests suggest that for me there are no pancreatic beta cells left to stimulate...so glycazide and victoza not so relevant in my case. ;)
i have been told I don't have any insulin or functioning pancreas cells too

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i'm type 1 and take 500mg metformin 1x morning 1x evening. apart from increasing insulin sensitivity, it takes farting to a whole new level.
i thought it helped massage the beta cells, but according to debbiiee it doesn't. something i'll bring up at the diabeteic clinic next time i go

debbiiee

i'm type 1 and take 500mg metformin 1x morning 1x evening. apart from increasing insulin sensitivity, it takes farting to a whole new level.
i thought it helped massage the beta cells, but according to debbiiee it doesn't. something i'll bring up at the diabeteic clinic next time i go
But with metformin ur insulin need must have decreased. And metformin is also said to have some protective effect against the big C. If u find difficult to withstand the side effects, then try the SR form if not already:)

Reactions: 2 people