Peculiar symptoms anyone?

Pinkerbell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had some pretty weird and disproportionate symptoms before and since my diagnosis and I am curious as to whether they are particular to me and my combination of disorders, or if maybe LADA has slightly different symptoms to type 2?

I am told that a lot of my symptoms were pretty extreme considering the relatively low blood glucose levels at the time: When I was diagnosed last year with an HbA1c of 7.5, I had a raging thirst, was drinking about 5 litres a day and getting up 2-3 times a night. My GP found this really puzzling as she said she had patients with numbers in the 20s whose symptoms weren't so severe. I've also had pseudo (I hope!) neuropathy symptoms, such as two episodes of gastric retention, but absolutely no evidence of neuropathy to that extent (My feet have very recently started to tingle a little, which has led my DSN to start me on insulin at night) My consultant theorised that my body was reacting to levels rising more quickly than those of a typical type 2,but she didn't seem certain. I'd be really interested to learn if other people have experienced this and if some of my symptoms might be 'normal' for LADA

One last thing is that my feet become red hot after my evening meal, which my DSN finds hilarious and apparently unheard of!

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I've had some pretty weird and disproportionate symptoms before and since my diagnosis and I am curious as to whether they are particular to me and my combination of disorders, or if maybe LADA has slightly different symptoms to type 2?

I am told that a lot of my symptoms were pretty extreme considering the relatively low blood glucose levels at the time: When I was diagnosed last year with an HbA1c of 7.5, I had a raging thirst, was drinking about 5 litres a day and getting up 2-3 times a night. My GP found this really puzzling as she said she had patients with numbers in the 20s whose symptoms weren't so severe. I've also had pseudo (I hope!) neuropathy symptoms, such as two episodes of gastric retention, but absolutely no evidence of neuropathy to that extent (My feet have very recently started to tingle a little, which has led my DSN to start me on insulin at night) My consultant theorised that my body was reacting to levels rising more quickly than those of a typical type 2,but she didn't seem certain. I'd be really interested to learn if other people have experienced this and if some of my symptoms might be 'normal' for LADA

One last thing is that my feet become red hot after my evening meal, which my DSN finds hilarious and apparently unheard of!
I am T2 so most of this will be different for us. I do however feel my hands feet are warmer after a meal.

Pinkerbell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am T2 so most of this will be different for us. I do however feel my hands feet are warmer after a meal.
When I Googled it, I found a post on a different forum where a man was asking about his wife's hot feet, but that was the only reference I could find. Maybe it's a common thing, but not a troubling enough symptom to bring up with the doctor

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Hi pinkerbell,
I had similar symptoms and am LADA, but my blood sugar levels were 20+ and My HbA1c was 9.4.
I also had tingly (cold) toes during my first few months of diagnosis, which seem to have gone now. My DSN said I had no recorded feeling on one of my large toes.

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. Requested a GAD test in November, came back very high 2,000+, doc said I would be T1 very soon, but presently LADA, and managing to keep 99% of my BS readings one hour after meals under 7.8 without insulin or any medication.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Pinkerbell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like your symptoms were completely proportionate then... I wonder if some people are just particularly sensitive to higher than average sugar levels. I suppose it's possible my body had got used to low bg levels as I wasn't eating very much in the months before I developed symptoms... my Dad was dying of cancer and the stress had completely squashed my appetite. To be honest, I thought all my symptoms were all connected to stress, it wasn't until a couple of months after after he died that I finally went to the GP.

Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Sounds like your symptoms were completely proportionate then... I wonder if some people are just particularly sensitive to higher than average sugar levels. I suppose it's possible my body had got used to low bg levels as I wasn't eating very much in the months before I developed symptoms... my Dad was dying of cancer and the stress had completely squashed my appetite. To be honest, I thought all my symptoms were all connected to stress, it wasn't until a couple of months after after he died that I finally went to the GP.
Sorry to hear that mate. My mum died a month after I was diagnosed. BG was high for weeks.

Pinkerbell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The hugs made me revisit your gender. Sorry. You are not the guy in the middle then?
Lol, no... That's my Dad, I'm the one on the right :)

Edit... The idea of my burly, beardy dad (as he was) calling himself Pinkerbell has really made me smile! Hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

sickofit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi pinkerbell,
I had similar symptoms and am LADA, but my blood sugar levels were 20+ and My HbA1c was 9.4.
I also had tingly (cold) toes during my first few months of diagnosis, which seem to have gone now. My DSN said I had no recorded feeling on one of my large toes.

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. Requested a GAD test in November, came back very high 2,000+, doc said I would be T1 very soon, but presently LADA, and managing to keep 99% of my BS readings one hour after meals under 7.8 without insulin or any medication.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
what is LADA and 1.5 please?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The hugs made me revisit your gender. Sorry. You are not the guy in the middle then?

I made the same assumption - and was in awe of Pinkerbell's out ness and Stetson wearing.

Sorry, have nothing to contribute to the thread... Except that I hope your symptoms get sorted.

Is it wrong to be disappointed that Pinkerbell is a girl?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He looks like me in a hat.
And younger.
And less fat.
Apart from that identical.
So almost as good looking then?

I actually thought dear Mr Pinkerbell looked rather like an early Terry Pratchett, posing on the back of The Colour of Magic.
Did he have a white rat on his shoulder, or is that just my fond imaginings?

Sorry, Real Pinkerbell, I must stop frivoling all over your thread. I keep doing this to poor people with serious threads. Am going now.

Pinkerbell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I actually thought dear Mr Pinkerbell looked rather like an early Terry Pratchett, posing on the back of The Colour of Magic.

Sorry, Real Pinkerbell, I must stop frivoling all over your thread. I keep doing this to poor people with serious threads. Am going now.

No need to apologise! :) Terry Pratchett is awesome! and does remind me of Dad, I always get a bit teary when I see him on TV. Incidentally, I was reading a post you made yesterday and Dad was an Alan Parsons fan too, that was his name, except he spelt it with 2 Ls. I don't often hear them mentioned, not many people seem to have heard of them :) I chose 'Old and Wise' to play at his funeral

@this is too difficult you are clearly a fine figure of a man and want to give you a real hug!

I should have known better than to use this picture as I thought mo1905 was a pretty blonde lady for the first few days I was here! :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No need to apologise! :) Terry Pratchett is awesome! and does remind me of Dad, I always get a bit teary when I see him on TV. Incidentally, I was reading a post you made yesterday and Dad was an Alan Parsons fan too, that was his name, except he spelt it with 2 Ls. I don't often hear them mentioned, not many people seem to have heard of them :) I chose 'Old and Wise' to play at his funeral

@this is too difficult you are clearly a fine figure of a man and want to give you a real hug!

I should have known better than to use this picture as I thought mo1905 was a pretty blonde lady for the first few days I was here! :)
It's a fine funeral song.

I have had it pegged for my funeral since the first heard it, decades ago.

Pinkerbell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a fine funeral song.

I have had it pegged for my funeral since the first heard it, decades ago.
I listened to it dozens of times beforehand in an effort to get used to it... Didn't work! It's almost too appropriate. I still have difficulty listening to it all the way through, but can counteract the effects by listening to something upbeat and silly like Pyramania :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a thought about your original symptom question at the top of the thread... This may be sort of relevant.

I'm sure that I once saw a post on this forum by a guy who had pains and tingles in his feet - clearly a diabetic complication. If I remember correctly these sensations were what led to his diagnosis.

Anyway, the key thing was that he could be symptom free if he kept his BG under 8 at all times. I think it was 8, but I might be wrong there...

Maybe if he, or anyone else who remembers, could chip in?

Pinkerbell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a thought about your original symptom question at the top of the thread... This may be sort of relevant.

I'm sure that I once saw a post on this forum by a guy who had pains and tingles in his feet - clearly a diabetic complication. If I remember correctly these sensations were what led to his diagnosis.

Anyway, the key thing was that he could be symptom free if he kept his BG under 8 at all times. I think it was 8, but I might be wrong there...

Maybe if he, or anyone else who remembers, could chip in?
That's really interesting, I've no pain, but my feet are tingling pretty much all the time and for the past month my BG has only seems to go under 8 between 14.30 and 18.00. I've been getting a bit paranoid that I'm feeling damage happening

Pinkerbell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

PS that's not a white rat, it's my sister, easy mistake to make to make though! :p