Basal problems

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Found levemir useless for me but no side effects,lantus works well but headaches and stomach pain and huge weight gain,so at annual consult at hospital diabetologist put me on humalog 50 mix which worked really well but heart palpitations really scary (6 months post bypass) so Dr put me onto insulatard and that too does the same.
Hospital say only insuman left which has the same ingredients as insulatard as far as i can tell ,asked re tresiba but not licensed at our pct (cost?),so anyone else get these type side efects?
Have upped my rapid insulin in the hope of sorting it that way
Any advice peeps

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ask for a referral to the hospital diabetic group/consultant

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Are you taking any other drugs besides insulin? Are you 100% the insulins are having these side effects?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It was the consultant I saw who put me onto the basal
The palpitations started within minutes of injection so pretty sure its that but to be on the safe side have asked for an apt with the cardiologist who did the heart op
On the plus side bgs quite steady overnight without basal but imagine some of it still in the body for a day or so extra

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
pump?

avoid the slow release basals altogether and just have the QA

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cant have pump as type 2 and just doing rapid at the mo but when i need more than 8units or so the heart beats badly so just wondering what happens to people who cant tolerate insulin bearing in mind i have tried tablets ect and they are not enough

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sorry.. You said you were on basal insulin, and now saying quick acting? Perhaps the name of the insulin would help us to understand what you ate doing

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have been on novorapid for years as bolus and levemir as basal then levemir to lantus then insulatard and now because im reacting to basal am just using novorapid with meals

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cant have pump as type 2 and just doing rapid at the mo but when i need more than 8units or so the heart beats badly so just wondering what happens to people who cant tolerate insulin bearing in mind i have tried tablets ect and they are not enough

Don't see why that makes a difference. If you are on basal/bolus regine and can't get control then a pump is the logical choice.

Have you looked at the INPUT website? Appears difficult but not impossible.

http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/type-2-diabetes/

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Very interesting read many thanks Dave
I dont think i stand much chance of geting the pump when even the diabetologist says "you are too hard on yourself as most of my patients would be happy with your numbers":doctor: