Statins - If you got straight trousers they'll give you flares

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I was just thinking about them yesterday and it made my train arrive on time ...

Reactions: 5 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I don't even take statins and they have lowered my cholesterol; that's how good they are...

Reactions: 8 people

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
"Dr Rahul Potluri, the study's lead author, said: "Our preliminary study suggests that women with high cholesterol in their blood may be at greater risk of getting breast cancer.""

OR

If you've got breast cancer you might also have the result of high cholesterol.

OR if you are at risk of getting breast cancer you may be showing that potential by having a high (meaning exactly what?) level of cholesterol.

OR I want to keep my cushy research job, so to get money from the pharma companies and enjoy those fabulous holidays er conferences, I'll link cancer (scary) and cholesterol (scary) and women('s breasts) (not so scary, but a good earner) into one study - yay, Honolulu here I come.

So statins will do what exactly?

Oh apart from possibly/probably give you cancer...

By the way, there is no cholesterol as such in the blood. Cholesterol isn't just floating around. There are lipids in the blood and cholesterol is in(?)(part of?) these hence LDL and HDL and ...

The liver etc creates cholesterol. This must mean that the body thinks it needs cholesterol - perhaps in order for it to keep living, Why would you want to turn off its production?!

I wish these people could be taught to think. Oh, that's what I try to do and it rarely works. You only need 40% in a (university) exam now to keep progressing from year to year. 40% means...that you don't really know anything doh!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to hospital yesterday because I had crushing/tightening chest pains. The doctor at the first hospital asked if I was on statins and I said "No". She said "they were recommended for you and you are not taking them?" "No, they were offered to me, not recommended but offered, and I refused them" She went away to check my latest total cholesterol figure (5.4 , so officially 'too high for a diabetic') but came back and didn't mention them again. I had been expecting a fight over that one.

Reactions: 6 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to the Hunt 2 study @zand you are exactly where you want to be in terms of heart disease and you could be a bit higher in terms of all cause mortality...

http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2012/09/25/silence-was-the-stern-reply/

However, have you considered the positive effects taking statins would have on your football team's chances?

Best

Dillinger
lol Which team? Leeds United, Arsenal, Forest Green Rovers or England?

edit: that'll be Leeds then, because that's the team that's no 1 in my heart. Now if I really thought that my taking statins would stop football club owners disliking players because their birthday is on the 17th May........

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can only see this in a positive light if it reduces the chances of breast cancer for anyone already taking statins, can't see what all the negativity is all about :confused:

Reactions: 2 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
that'll be Leeds then, because that's the team that's no 1 in my heart.

Ah, that is a bit difficult isn't it? You might have to take a statin and aspirin to help Leeds.

C

catherinecherub

There is research going on about multipurpose medications. ACE inhibitors are being researched to see if they can help with Alzheimers.

Patients who took a certain type of blood pressure medication got measurable relief from worsening Alzheimer's symptoms, too, researchers reported on Thursday.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100917494

There are people who take Ramipril on this forum. It was originally used to treat high blood pressure but now it is universally used to protect kidneys in diabetic patients. It will certainly be classed as a multipurpose medication if the research proves that it does help Alzheimers.

Whilst the anti-statin brigade have little time for anything to do with statins, I wonder if they would reconsider it if research could prove that it could help cure or relieve symptoms of life threatening diseases?

Reactions: 4 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Whilst the anti-statin brigade have little time for anything to do with statins, I wonder if they would reconsider it if research could prove that it could help cure or relieve symptoms of life threatening diseases?

I would, of course, I'm not a zealot; if there is good evidence then I'm in, but as has been said so many times here the evidence for statins is very poor and it is my belief that the small benefits imparted from them have to do with something else they are doing rather than the cholesterol disrupting effects they have.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I can only speak for myself. I am anti-statin because I have yet to be convinced that cholesterol has anything to do with heart attacks. Cholesterol occurs naturally in the body, so why lower it artificially with a drug that can cause muscle weakness and fatigue? I would only consider taking statins for other reasons if I had no other options left. I wouldn't totally trust 'research' because it would probably be biased and in favour of the drugs company. I might however trust anecdotal evidence which most people seem to shun....

If a drug doesn't work for the purpose for which it was intended , then recycle it? Well it has cost a lot of money to produce it, so it can't be wasted, can it?

I took Ramipril for a while for very high blood pressure. I remember the shock I got when I read the side effects. On the leaflet it said that it could damage kidneys, that's why I asked to change blood pressure tablets. I had to have blood tests regularly to check my kidneys whilst taking it. Perhaps it really does protect kidneys in diabetic patients, I wouldn't know, I wasn't taking it for that reason, I wasn't diabetic then.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can only see this in a positive light if it reduces the chances of breast cancer for anyone already taking statins, can't see what all the negativity is all about :confused:
My own negativity is that I feel this is simply about persuading more people to take statins. I agree if it helps those already taking them then that's a good thing. I'm sorry I'm just more sceptical and cynical than you @noblehead - but then you know that already from previous discussions, don't you? :)

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My own negativity is that I feel this is simply about persuading more people to take statins. I agree if it helps those already taking them then that's a good thing. I'm sorry I'm just more sceptical and cynical than you @noblehead - but then you know that already from previous discussions, don't you? :)

No comment Zand ;)

Seriously though, Ctherineherub makes a great point in her post, both Dillinger, Phoenix and myself were just discussing the beneficial effects of taking bp drugs ending in 'prill' just a couple of weeks ago, they not only help lower bp but are said to help prevent and treat Nephropathy (diabetic kidney disease) and Dillinger was saying that this was the reason why he takes Lisinopril.

There's nothing wrong with taking preventative medicine and if statins are proven to reduce the chances of developing breast cancer then this can only be seen as a good thing, my wife's family have a history of breast cancer and her aunty died from it and her daughter had her breasts removed as a precautionary measure, the family carry a cancer gene and her cousin was found to be carry the gene that killed her mother, my wife had to be tested to see if she was carrying it but thankfully she doesn't.

I don't take statins myself but have seen first-hand that they do what they say, my eldest brother was diagnosed with high cholesterol with a TC of 9+, he went on Sim and brought his levels down to below 4 in a matter of months, my mum was also on a statin and both suffered no side-effects, if my own cholesterol was high I would now take them without question, only then would I know if I would suffer side-effects or not.

Reactions: 2 people

desidiabulum

I am not ‘anti-statin’. I take them for my heart condition. I am genuinely agnostic on the cholesterol issue. I see no point in a pro/anti approach. But there is nothing wrong with a healthy and light-hearted scepticism when it comes to the public debate on statins and the claims made for their efficacy, which is deeply politicized at the moment. And one might ponder why an association noted in a ‘preliminary’ retrospective and observational study, which might ‘potentially’ lead towards a clinical trial ‘in 10 to 15 years’, is headline news, and that the word ‘statins’ is so prominent in that headline.

Reactions: 3 people