Washing machines!!!!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Now, not that I mind helping out the home with housework etc but, with the wife recovering from an op, having to do more than I usually do around the house. Cooking, cleaning the usual, then I met my washing machine, why is there so many options to do 1 job. Why isnt there a universal button to just put anything in and wash them!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 8 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
lol, ya lazy sod. Actually I find I only use one or two, three at the most programmes. Do remember to sort the wash into colours. I'm lucky my partner does the clothes. He hates when I put whites in with stuff I say has been washed loads of times before therefore wont run.

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lol. yep I remember when I needed 2 weeks sofa/bed rest! I got my husband to sort stuff into piles while I watched and then told him which cycle to use. He still doesn't 'remember' now though. Now can anyone tell me if it's possible for me to fix the washing machine myself? I really hate having to call someone in and hubby doesn't do these kind of jobs. How difficult can it be to change the bearings? Ooh just found a video ......nope maybe not then, it says not for the faint hearted and the video is over 17 minutes long so maybe I'll leave that one to the experts.

Reactions: 2 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
lol. yep I remember when I needed 2 weeks sofa/bed rest! I got my husband to sort stuff into piles while I watched and then told him which cycle to use. He still doesn't 'remember' now though. Now can anyone tell me if it's possible for me to fix the washing machine myself? I really hate having to call someone in and hubby doesn't do these kind of jobs. How difficult can it be to change the bearings? Ooh just found a video ......nope maybe not then, it says not for the faint hearted and the video is over 17 minutes long so maybe I'll leave that one to the experts.

Lol, thats what I ended up doing :)

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ours died this week.
It fills and empties, but the drum won't turn.
We took the back off to check the belt was still attached (this happened once years ago, and I saved £££ by reattaching the belt myself). No luck this time.

Contorted mental calculations later (how old is it? How much is the call out fee? Is it the motor? How much is a new motor?), and we've ordered a new one.

£20 delivery, within 24hrs of order (on a Sunday :woot:) including removal of old, plumbing and wiring in.
Bargain at twice the price.

Now the only question is, will it fit through our narrow little front door :nailbiting:?

The older I get, and the more of these electrical appliances that come (and go), the less traumatic I am finding it. There was a day when it was the end of my world to have to organise a shopping trip to select from a tiny selection, take a day off work for delivery, arrange a plumber and/or electrician, and phone the council to collect the corpse.

Now? 10 mins on the internet.

Thank you, to the guardian angel of internet users.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brushes?? Now I would just get a new machine, but that won't be the end of the problem because the plumbing needs fixing too and last time we called a plumber to do it he didn't actually fix it, so I ended up doing it myself. That's my next job....

edit: sorry If I am a little brusque today, that's how I'm feeling.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Brushes?? Now I would just get a new machine, but that won't be the end of the problem because the plumbing needs fixing too and last time we called a plumber to do it he didn't actually fix it, so I ended up doing it myself. That's my next job....

edit: sorry If I am a little brusque today, that's how I'm feeling.

:wideyed: RRB x:)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lol, .....couldn't manage it today as my chest muscles hurt too much, but I did try.....looks like I am going to have to make a phone call and wait for the sharp intake of breath on Monday! In the meantime I am washing by hand! (I do have a spindryer that still works though) It's a good way of toning the arms. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Now, not that I mind helping out the home with housework etc but, with the wife recovering from an op, having to do more than I usually do around the house. Cooking, cleaning the usual, then I met my washing machine, why is there so many options to do 1 job. Why isnt there a universal button to just put anything in and wash them!!!

Just stick them on a quick wash, I never know which wash option is the best either :confused:

Hope the Mrs makes a full recovery Brett, and make sure you spoil her with some flowers and chocolates.

Reactions: 3 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Washing all done, and last lot on line :) , thanks noblehead, mrs doing good, flowers maybe, choclates~ maybe a little box :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Brett..
Staggered that you only just realised the details of outting a wash on!!!

Made me realise how lucky I am with my OH that has no difficulty turning a control to the right setting.

Hope you managed to figure iut the oven to cook a dinner for your better half and not burnt offerings.

Hope you haven't had to figure out a tumble dryer settings otherwise you could be wearing baby size clothes by end of the weekend.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i hate all these womens rights, i say put up a camp bed in the kitchen right next to the machine, then extend the washing line through the kitchen window with a pulley, women really need to be less selfish, you would think she`d consider all the tv time your missing out on while you doing her jobs

all the best on her speedy recovery :)

....for both your sakes

Reactions: 3 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Brett..
Staggered that you only just realised the details of outting a wash on!!!

Made me realise how lucky I am with my OH that has no difficulty turning a control to the right setting.

Hope you managed to figure iut the oven to cook a dinner for your better half and not burnt offerings.

Hope you haven't had to figure out a tumble dryer settings otherwise you could be wearing baby size clothes by end of the weekend.

We share all domestic chores as we both work, not a bad cook/baker actually, which is good as our boys quite fussy with food. learnt alot of my late mum, she was an amazing cook. drying the clothes, not a problem, cleaning/washing up~ fine , just the sodding washing machine.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i hate all these womens rights, i say put up a camp bed in the kitchen right next to the machine, then extend the washing line through the kitchen window with a pulley, women really need to be less selfish, you would think she`d consider all the tv time your missing out on while you doing her jobs

all the best on her speedy recovery :)

....for both your sakes

And its the WORLD CUP!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When the white goods fight back and the going is tough

I try to think out when enough is enough.

I work out the price and the cost of repair

and I wonder if paying will get me the spare

Then I ask if the whole thing is worth the trip

‘cos up the road they will hire me a skip

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people
C

chris lowe

I know that feeling, when I got married I thought he'd take after his dad who was amazing. Service the car - no probs. Moved house & need a new kitchen - made from scratch, new oven thermostat - easy peasy. All I've got is book it in the garage, we'll go to Homebase & choose a new kitchen and lets get a new oven while were at it. Can I send him back under Trades Description Act as I feel I was sold a dud and after 41 years he's starting to get a bit worn round the edges

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that feeling, when I got married I thought he'd take after his dad who was amazing. Service the car - no probs. Moved house & need a new kitchen - made from scratch, new oven thermostat - easy peasy. All I've got is book it in the garage, we'll go to Homebase & choose a new kitchen and lets get a new oven while were at it. Can I send him back under Trades Description Act as I feel I was sold a dud and after 41 years he's starting to get a bit worn round the edges
Yes....Once when I had a bad back there was water flowing from under the washing machine. I asked hubby to pull the machine out so I could tell whether it was coming from the machine itself or from the plumbing. He kept saying "phone the washing machine repair man" every time I asked. In the end I pulled the machine out myself, still with a bad back, and found the plumbing was at fault and called a plumber. :rolleyes: :arghh:

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree washing machines have more programs than most people ever use.

I have taught my children to put their dirty clothes into the darks or light wash basket and my 7 year old is better than my husband at doing it .

My husband put clothes on a 30deg wash as its difficult to ruin stuff using that and on the whole our clothes dont get that dirty.

Our cooker died mid-Sunday lunch, been looking at ovens and some of those have more computer power than was used to land on moon!