13 yr old daughter Denied DLA

Jan68

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I agree with diddles put everything down. During our appeal it came down to the supporting letter appeared to state she took the same amount of insulin for each meal so they didn't understand about carb counting or how to counteract a high an adjust the insulin. Also being in school we currently don't have a named person an nodody is trained so its me my daughter texts for suppprt or to come and get her if she is ill. I appealed on my own our nurse said she would write a letter but I am still waiting. Diabetes takes a lot of good management time and support from a parent and thats without the constant emotional support you provide. Good luck

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

X-entricity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest I don;t see why parents should get DLA just because they have a diabetic child. Just reminding them to take meds and having to go to their aid when required is a normal part of parenting. There are many other disabilities that affect people far worse and these do not receive DLA which is really for people who need constant caring. Help should be given but not in a financial way.

Reactions: 4 people

Fiona30ni

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone got good news in post today, give Rebecca Middle rate care till 2017

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
To be honest I don;t see why parents should get DLA just because they have a diabetic child. Just reminding them to take meds and having to go to their aid when required is a normal part of parenting. There are many other disabilities that affect people far worse and these do not receive DLA which is really for people who need constant caring. Help should be given but not in a financial way.
I think people should take what eve is available while they still can!
Before the wealthiest one percent have hoovered everything up for themselves!

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
I appealed on my own our nurse said she would write a letter but I am still waiting.

Chase the nurse, chase the nurse, chase the nurse - has she written her letter? Sometimes they can forget. ;)

Jan68

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It has taken since Easter to arrange a meeting with her and school so there is no chance of a letter. I know she is very busy and lots of families to support.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
It has taken since Easter to arrange a meeting with her and school so there is no chance of a letter. I know she is very busy and lots of families to support.

Get the email address of the Paediatric Diabetes Consultant (you're likely to get the PA's address) and email the consultant requesting a statement of support; they'll probably have a template / past examples on file that they can copy and paste, etc.