Type 1 and PCOS

koko1987

Dislikes
Arrogant, ignorant and rude people, also bullies are pretty high up on my list of dislikes!
Hi everyone,

I would really like to hear from anyone who has type 1 and has been diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome.
I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was 10 I am now 24 and a couple of years ago was diagnosed with PCOS. I already knew I had it but none of my consultants would test for it! Bit of a nightmare. But anyway I have always suffered with my control no matter what I do, diet change, exercise, relaxation, metformin (made me very sick!).
I would like to know if anyone else struggles with this and if anyone has found something that helps?
Or just to hear that I am not the only one would be nice! :(

Kay

Maidz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kay, hope you are well

I have type 1 and have also been diagnosed with PCOS! I'm 26years old. Next year I am looking to start trying for a baby but am worried I won't be able to conceive :(
I see that you posted this thread in 2011, have you had any luck? Any advise?

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I see this is an old topic, but I"ve been living with PCOS years before I got told I'm diabetic

@Maidz there are many ladies with PCOS who have had children with out issue, but you do need to make sure you see a reproductive endocrinologist who can help keep things together since the biggest thing for many with PCOS is hormones out of whack that cause constant miscarriages or still births. Some OBGYN know about PCOS but most haven't go a clue, that's why a reproductive endro is thought to be the rest because they deal with complications of pregnancy with various medical condition other then diabetes.

Maidz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply :)
I'm due to see a consultant in August so hopefully he will let me know if there is anything I can do to prepare etc.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Thanks for your reply :)
I'm due to see a consultant in August so hopefully he will let me know if there is anything I can do to prepare etc.

You'll also likely get tested to see if you are ovulating since as we all know can't get preg less your ovulating and many with PCOS don't ovulate (ovarian drilling might help, but not always plus there are medications on the market that are now used to help but like all things they are not 100% for everyone).

Good luck

Reactions: 2 people

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kay, hope you are well

I have type 1 and have also been diagnosed with PCOS! I'm 26years old. Next year I am looking to start trying for a baby but am worried I won't be able to conceive :(
I see that you posted this thread in 2011, have you had any luck? Any advise?

There are lots of women I know who have pcos who have had children despite this diagnosis :) usually they have been prescribed metformin or clomid for fertility. Best to check with your fertility doctor so that she/he can assess you properly. I also had pcos when I was in my teens :)

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
I have Type 1 and PCOS. Developed it when I was 19 ish after being on the depo injection. It's horrible as I have a hard time mentally on contraception but can't deal with all the acne, etc when I'm not on Yasmin or something for it. I did, however, get pregnant the first month I came off of the pill so it is possible to get pregnant. My doctor wouldn't give me clomid due to the risk of twins/triplets/etc. I can't use metformin as I lose my hypo awareness on it. I was on a 1.6 once with no symptoms at all. :/ I try not to think about the PCOS too much but there is a lot of help on the Verity website in case you'd like to look there too. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Maidz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on Yasmin but after about 2-3 years my acne started coming back! Talk about low self esteem :(
They have now put me on Dianette which seems to help slightly with my skin but it has side effects which I'm not too impressed about!
It's nice to know that someone in a similar situation has had a baby :) it kinda gives me some hope!
Il have a look on that website - thanks.

carlylou2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed type 1 when I was 11, now 26. My husband and I have been trying for a baby for 2 and a half years abd got diagnosed with PCOS a year ago, went to see fertility doc who said I was not ovulating so been prescribed Clomid today so hoping that will work