Bread for meals

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys! Was wondering how as diabetics how can we incorporate bread in our diets? Or is it something that we just have to avoid completely? Lchf diets are the way to go for us, but was just wondering if we can probably sneak it in maybe once or twice a week? I've been doing the lchf for a month now but sometimes feel deprived--and crave for toasts/bread...But sugars are good at the moment...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Avocado Sevenfold

There are breads you can buy which are lower carb. The word "crave" is jumping out the screen at me lol so you would have to be very disciplined with a whole loaf in the house. I used to freeze them in slices and only defrost what I needed. These shop bought loaves are Livlife from waitrose and Burgen soya and linseed from many places.

Or make your own low carb bread if you like baking.

Reactions: 2 people

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the info cblake and avocado sevenfold! I would be looking into those you've suggested---will check waitrose..Much appreciated!

Was just wondering cblake do you have a specific brand that you buy?

Was thinking of baking some low carb bread too here at home---might find a good recipe on the internet :)

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I notice you have only been following a low carb eating plan for about 4 weeks, it takes a little longer before it becomes more 'normal'. Considering how many years you (and all of us) were eating high carb diets its no wonder we get cravings and find it hard to begin with.

If you do a search of forums you will get a number of low carb bread recipes, some use flaxseed, coconut flour or almond flour. Have a look in the low carb forum for other baking ideas. I have posted two recipes below these were posted on this website and other forums (there are a lot of lowcarb websites).

I try to make small batches of the breads, especially almond flour ones that are yummy, the oopsies are really easy to make and are very versatile for pizza bases etc

Almond Flat Bread – 3 Versions
1/2 cup of ground almonds
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon melted butter
2 eggs

Add baking powder to ground almonds in medium bowl, season with salt and pepper, mix in eggs, and butter, you may like to add herbs etc.
batter should be fairly thick, spread on to baking paper (not to thickly), bake at 170 C, for 10 to 14 mins (should be golden brown)

Use as a flat bread, or pizza base. This is really really nice used as bread for a salad sandwich or toasted.

Version 2: as above but not butter added 2 dsp of pesto instead and sprinkled with seeds prior to baking (yummy)

Version3: as above with 1 tbsp flaxseed and pesto instead of butter, added seeds onto top, part bake then add grated cheese on top and bake for few more minutes

Bread oopsies

Makes 6-8 Oopsies depending on size or one large pizza base

3eggs separated
100g of cream cheese (could have garlic and herbs if making a savoury Ooopsie)
a pinch of salt
half tbsp ground flaxseed (can be left out)
1/8 tsp cream of tartar or half tsp baking powder (can be left out)

tablespoon pesto if using plain cream cheese and making savoury

1 separate eggs -whites in one bowl-yolks in another
2 whisk egg whites and salt until very stiff
3 whisk yolks, cream cheese, flaxseeds, pesto or herbs and baking powder together
4 gently blend egg whites into the yolks
5 divide mixture into 2, 6, 8 (your choice) dollops on a big baking tray. It does spread
6 Bake in oven 150C(300F) or 130oC fan for about 25 mins

Could also be used as scones_lashings of whipped cream and a few fresh berries rather than jam.(use the plain cream cheese in the base) or a swiss roll base
If using as bread-scatter poppy , sesame seeds on top before cooking etc

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you aren't trying to drop weight. Eat to your meter, you may be able to have an egg on toast

Reactions: 4 people

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for the two recipes scimama! Much appreciated. I'm going to try baking them Tom ....:) yes, only four weeks and I've been having withdrawal symptoms lol from not having the usual carbs I consume on a daily basis.

Hi jack, thanks! Carbs---a hard habit to break. Might try that combo of bread and egg occasionally and will check w the meter too.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Was just wondering cblake do you have a specific brand that you buy?

I live in Germany so specific brand may not help you. I get my bread in Aldi , it is by the far the best I've ever found.

Reactions: 2 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you aren't trying to drop weight. Eat to your meter, you may be able to have an egg on toast

I found quite by chance that I am able to occasionally eat fried bread using virgin olive oil. I think the percentage of fat must outweigh the carbs or something. Its an occasional treat which doesn't affect by BS

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Around midnight I have to go on a fairly long drive.
I'm going to have a maccy d's ... minus the bun.
I've done great since yesterday so ... no bun!!!

Reactions: 3 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I found quite by chance that I am able to occasionally eat fried bread using virgin olive oil. I think the percentage of fat must outweigh the carbs or something. Its an occasional treat which doesn't affect by BS
Fried bread?
I think I love you. I never even considered that.

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Test it with your meter. I buy Hovis Wholemeal 7 seeds, freeze it, and just take out a slice at a time. I can manage one slice with butter with a meal, either as bread or toasted. It doesn't do much to my BS levels. It has 14 carbs per slice and is quite thick, filling, and heavily seeded, loads of protein and fibre in it, too. I also can manage one slice of garlic bread (the thin crusty sort). Use your meter as we are all different.

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a half slice of WHITE fried bread last week with a normal fry up. No effect on my levels at all - tested at 1hr and 2hrs.