Camping food

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi all! In a manic fit I have bought a little tent and plan to go camping next week. I won't have a fridge or coolbox so meat, cheese, cream, yoghurt, berries, salad etc. are out as they are not going to keep in this warm weather. Eggs and nuts will still be OK and anything I might be able to buy and eat straight away - if I can get to a shop before it closes at 5pm. But are there ideas that I'm missing here? What can I have LCHF that

doesn't need to be kept cool
can be cooked in a single pot over a Triangia
isn't just wilted vegetables and some nuts or eggs

?

Plus what can i take into the mountains to eat?

At this rate I'm going to have to live on omelettes (hot and cold).

Reactions: 2 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Egg, bacon, sausages, burgers, mushrooms, peppers - great camping food. We are veteran campers. I can't see why you wouldn't take salad. It'll last a few days. Just keep it in the shade. If you only have a small stove you need things which are thin - so thin sausages, mushrooms sliced up - to cook quickly. If you have omelette, throw some sliced ham in it and grate some cheese on top. Tinned soup is good, but check the carbs. Tinned tuna. Tinned tomatoes. Tinned corned beef. Corned beef cooked with tinned tomatoes and tinned mixed veg makes a good camping stew, especially with an oxo cube chucked in.

Remember to take matches, tin/bottle opener, sharp knife, grater etc.

Where are you going?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Take loads of Peperami. It does not need to be refrigerated. Each stick contains 0.4g carb, 11g fat, 6.1g protein. Also tinned meat and fish and Mushrooms.

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. Requested a GAD test in November, came back very high 2,000+, doc said I would be T1 within weeks, but presently still LADA taking no insulin or medication, and striving to keep my BS readings as close to 'normal' as possible in order to keep as many insulin making pancreas beta cells as possible for as long as I can.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Tinned stuff sounds great, also you can get frankfurtas in jars that I don't believe need refridgerating. Also if you camp near a small stream or river you could somehow stake a bag to the side and hang things in the river to keep cool?

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Check out your campsite, a lot of them now provide fridges/freezers you can put your stuff in (at your own risk, but we campers are generally an honest lot!)

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Egg, bacon, sausages, burgers, mushrooms, peppers - great camping food. We are veteran campers. I can't see why you wouldn't take salad. It'll last a few days. Just keep it in the shade. If you only have a small stove you need things which are thin - so thin sausages, mushrooms sliced up - to cook quickly. If you have omelette, throw some sliced ham in it and grate some cheese on top. Tinned soup is good, but check the carbs. Tinned tuna. Tinned tomatoes. Tinned corned beef. Corned beef cooked with tinned tomatoes and tinned mixed veg makes a good camping stew, especially with an oxo cube chucked in.

Remember to take matches, tin/bottle opener, sharp knife, grater etc.

Where are you going?

I forgot to list matches! Good point!

I've been shopping and bought some of your suggestions. I'll still skip salad (as in lettuce) though because I hate it all wilted and if it is sunny I'm unlikely to find much shade. I'm planning to camp at Gwern Gof Uchaf or Garth Farm or Dolgam. None are rife with facilities which suits me. I doubt there is much shade at GGU, although all of Wales is probably going to be shady in reality.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Take loads of Peperami. It does not need to be refrigerated. Each stick contains 0.4g carb, 11g fat, 6.1g protein. Also tinned meat and fish and Mushrooms.

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. Requested a GAD test in November, came back very high 2,000+, doc said I would be T1 within weeks, but presently still LADA taking no insulin or medication, and striving to keep my BS readings as close to 'normal' as possible in order to keep as many insulin making pancreas beta cells as possible for as long as I can.

Peperami will be good for packed lunches (although I hate them!). Are they still covered with a pig's foreskin?

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tinned stuff sounds great, also you can get frankfurtas in jars that I don't believe need refridgerating. Also if you camp near a small stream or river you could somehow stake a bag to the side and hang things in the river to keep cool?

I'll look out for a stream. They sound lovely too (if it's not too far to the toilet block...)

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Check out your campsite, a lot of them now provide fridges/freezers you can put your stuff in (at your own risk, but we campers are generally an honest lot!)

I think the campsites I'm considering are a bit too small to have fridges and freezers.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the campsites I'm considering are a bit too small to have fridges and freezers.
You'd be amazed, a lot of the "farm" sites where it's a basic loo block field set up are the ones that have them rather than the "posh" sites farmers seem to recycle there old house ones into the sink block. The bigger ,"posher" ones expect everyone to have an electric hook up (I do in my old age, nearly 40 now you now! ;)

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Peperami will be good for packed lunches (although I hate them!). Are they still covered with a pig's foreskin?

They do them in various flavours. I don't think they are pigs foreskin. I think it is plastic.... But either way I push it through and discard the outer skin. Five packs from most supermarkets.

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. Requested a GAD test in November, came back very high 2,000+, doc said I would be T1 within weeks, but presently still LADA. On a LcHf diet taking no insulin or medication, and striving to keep my BS readings as low as possible in order to keep as many insulin making pancreas beta cells as possible for as long as I can.

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Bully Beef/ Corned Beef in a can, we have a no Carb version in South Africa

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love Snowdonia, but my very favourite place in Wales is here:http://www.hafoddywyllcampsite.co.uk/
We used to live in Leicester, so were equal distances from west or east coasts, but if you ever want to head east we love the campsite on the clifftop at Happisburgh.

Being utterly anal, I have a camping list. We take a duvet as a mattress. Those disposable BBQs are good.
Holiday List - Camping - England

Alchohol
Blanket
Books
Bottle opener
Camera
Candles
Clothes
Coats
Coffee pot
Cookset
Cups
Cutlery
Dog bowl
Dog food
Duvet
Fire grill/BBQ
First aid
Food
Gas stove
Glasses
Hairbrush
Maps
Matches
Mats
Money
Notepad & pens
Paintbox
Pegs
Pen knife
Pencils & pad
Pillow
Plates
Scrubber
Shoes
Sleeping bags
String
Tea towel
Tent
Tin opener
Toilet roll
Towel
Umbrella
Wash bags
Washing-up liquid
Water bottle
Wind breaks

Reactions: 6 people

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
The campsite looks lovely. I've bookmarked it so even if I don't visit this time I may do in future.

Like you I'm a real list maker. I like the way your alphabetical listing brings alcohol to the top! If you wrote 'wine' it would sink to the bottom...

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
You'd be amazed, a lot of the "farm" sites where it's a basic loo block field set up are the ones that have them rather than the "posh" sites farmers seem to recycle there old house ones into the sink block. The bigger ,"posher" ones expect everyone to have an electric hook up (I do in my old age, nearly 40 now you now! ;)

I think I should have one really. Crawling in and out of a little tent at 49 might be asking for trouble! I keep forgetting I'm not 20 anymore (I've been forgetting for 30 years!)

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We've progressed to a camper van.
20111101+Chadwick+End+camping+%25283%2529.JPG

In 2010 we chucked in our jobs and took off for a year around Europe in it. We took our old dog, kept a blog of our travels and had a whale of a time. Best thing we've ever done.

Reactions: 4 people

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love Snowdonia, but my very favourite place in Wales is here:http://www.hafoddywyllcampsite.co.uk/
We used to live in Leicester, so were equal distances from west or east coasts, but if you ever want to head east we love the campsite on the clifftop at Happisburgh.

Being utterly anal, I have a camping list. We take a duvet as a mattress. Those disposable BBQs are good.
Holiday List - Camping - England

Alchohol
Blanket
Books
Bottle opener
Camera
Candles
Clothes
Coats
Coffee pot
Cookset
Cups
Cutlery
Dog bowl
Dog food
Duvet
Fire grill/BBQ
First aid
Food
Gas stove
Glasses
Hairbrush
Maps
Matches
Mats
Money
Notepad & pens
Paintbox
Pegs
Pen knife
Pencils & pad
Pillow
Plates
Scrubber
Shoes
Sleeping bags
String
Tea towel
Tent
Tin opener
Toilet roll
Towel
Umbrella
Wash bags
Washing-up liquid
Water bottle
Wind breaks

Always best to put the most important things top of the list!

jim

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven't been camping since diagnosed, so really made me think, some random suggestions - not full meal ideas!

sugar free peanut butter
flaxseed mixes (from H&B, add hot water and get instant breakfast 'cereal')
Sugar free jelly in ready made pots

Olives and jar of peppers (or fresh as they keep a while even in sun) to eat antipasti style with your peparami

do you have a power socket in your car for a plug in coolbox?

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
We've progressed to a camper van.
20111101+Chadwick+End+camping+%25283%2529.JPG

I did look at campervans first but don't have enough cash at present. For the same reasons I can't stop work yet. But I did think of it....... and then bought a tent as a stop gap. Maybe in a few years...

In 2010 we chucked in our jobs and took off for a year around Europe in it. We took our old dog, kept a blog of our travels and had a whale of a time. Best thing we've ever done.