How do you feel when high?

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Forgot to do my levemir last night (oops!) went to bed at 8.6 and woke up 15.6 I know why it happened and have corrected it now so I'm not concerned about it.

What I was wondering was how do you feel when you're bg is high?

I get all of the usual thirsty tired feelings etc but my chest also feels tight and I have to concentrate on breathing more.

Does anyone else feel like this? About half an hour after taking my levemir this morning (I'm on a split dose) and having my Novorapid and correction I felt tonnes better and am back to normal now.

Cheers!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get stiff fingers and muscles and a sort of heavy feeling in my head as well as a bad taste in my mouth and, this is a strange one, what can only be described as heavy eyes! They feel like they have been pressured a bit too much and are bulging a bit. Generally a pretty unpleasant feeling. I never get the tight chest though.

Reactions: 8 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder if anyone is different. I think that the feeling of high bg can be difficult to explain!

Indiana x

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Trust me to be different. On the rare occasion when I reach 17, apart from having sticky lips, I actually feel quite good!

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest I actually prefer to be low than high... I get tired, sleepy, everything hurts - like literally every muscle in my body hurts and I feel sick.

Also, the worst part, my legs react terribly to high bg. I get a numbing pain in my left leg and depending on how high I am, right leg as well. I can't sit or lay down because touching the leg hurts and standing is hard cause the muscles hurt. And it doesn't go away after my bg is back down - sometimes it appears AFTER I'm back to normal (like a delayed punishment...) And can usually last from few hours to a day.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:( being high sucks.

I thought my bg had came down and it hasn't. I've done another correction and been for a walk and still no difference. My chest isn't uncomfortable anymore but I'm not feeling great.

Learnt my lesson from forgetting to inject!

Indiana x

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:( being high sucks.

I thought my bg had came down and it hasn't. I've done another correction and been for a walk and still no difference. My chest isn't uncomfortable anymore but I'm not feeling great.

Learnt my lesson from forgetting to inject!

Indiana x

Urgh! So sorry for you :( I find that it's always harder to get it down with corrections if your basal is too small (or missing like in your case) :( Hope you're feeling better soon!

And don't forget to inject your levemir tonight! ;)

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I've taken it this morning and I'm on a split dose so I'm hoping it improves as the day goes on!
For some reason the alarm on my phone was switched off and I didn't realise until this morning when my other alarm went off that I didn't do it!
Will be double checking for that in future :)

Indiana x

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have real problems concentrating when I'm high and really tired eyes and just feel a bit spaced out. I usually underestimate the correction dose too and so generally feel a bit pants for quite a while.
It's funny I find as when first diagnosed I couldn't ever imagine forgetting to take my basal but now I really need my alarm to remind me and don't switch it off til I've physically taken my jab!!
Andrea

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad I'm not the only one Andrea!

Indiana x

Reactions: 2 people

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I used to feel great when high

Toking on some skunk and getting the giggles, the munchies.... **** wrong thread!!
The 90's were all a blur....aving it in some field, wheres the bass!!!

Although that obviously didn't help with my diabetes onset :)

Feel very tired when BG is high, as though I've got dust all in my eyes, and if it's a prolonged high for a few days / week then a very itchy nob, but luckily not had the dreaded thrush for well over 18 months now

Reactions: 10 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was referring to just a one off to be honest.

Indiana.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Trust me, I've registered 30.1 mmol/l and used to get high 20's regular before insulin doses were upped big time. I used to feel extremely tired, could sleep 24 hours and more, was mega-hungry and had a thirst that could not be quenched which made pee pee all the time. To be blunt I felt DRAINED lol...happy times are nearly there for me, my HbA1c still needs improving and am on a lowish carb diet now.

Reactions: 6 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you're feeling better Eddie :)

Indiana x

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Cheers Indiana !:)

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did a few hours housework and my bg dropped to normal again, guess ironing and cleaning isn't so bad after all!

Indiana x

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly I've found myself enthusiastically cleaning the bathroom when I'm high.
Maybe we've found a gap in the market here and set up a cleaning co. called the high life and make some money from it!!

Reactions: 10 people