How do you feel when high?

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Very funny Indiana....I'm contemplating some extreme-ironing next time BG's are 12 mmol > lol:wacky:

Reactions: 2 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate housework but it's an incentive I must say!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Woke up last night very high - 20.1 - and felt very tired, groggy and thirsty. These are my normal 'high' symptoms.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Unfortunately I spent to long high that now I don't really notice when I go high less its over 15 then I might notice it (development of migraine maybe) the same goes for lows, I don't notice till I'm ultra low 2.5 area that I've gone low = annoying and the only way I know is that my balance goes into the hand basket (and that's if lucky other wise its almost chance luck that someone who knows me notices i'm active strange and has me check).

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I sometimes confuse being high for being low, I was 15.4 at bedtime last night but thought I might have been low before I tested.
The main things that I sometimes notice different when high are very hungry and tired.

Reactions: 3 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Forgot to do my levemir last night (oops!) went to bed at 8.6 and woke up 15.6 I know why it happened and have corrected it now so I'm not concerned about it.

What I was wondering was how do you feel when you're bg is high?

I get all of the usual thirsty tired feelings etc but my chest also feels tight and I have to concentrate on breathing more.

Does anyone else feel like this? About half an hour after taking my levemir this morning (I'm on a split dose) and having my Novorapid and correction I felt tonnes better and am back to normal now.

Cheers!

Indiana x

Hi,

It's funny you mention this..

Many years ago I had a pet hamster.. This thing developed an audible squeaky wheeze & became very weak in its hind legs..
So I took it to the vet who diagnosed a chest infection to which the animal was put on a course of antibiotics which were put in its water supply...

My point being. Though I don't feel it in my chest when high. I do feel it in my legs like I have done a heavy day running/cycling..?
I feel lethargic & tired too.. With a pinch of "techyness".

The hamster made a miraculous recovery..! :D

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad the hamster got sorted! Haha

Indiana x

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Now that they are planning to give Type 2 diabetics gastric-bands I am going to suggest that the NHS buys a couple of thousand irons, ironing boards and vacuum cleaners to tackle the epidemic and save millions of ££s lol lol. I am mad and I know it lol :p:wacky:

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dragons den with something like that!

Indiana x

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Unfortunately I spent to long high that now I don't really notice when I go high less its over 15 then I might notice it (development of migraine maybe) the same goes for lows, I don't notice till I'm ultra low 2.5 area that I've gone low = annoying and the only way I know is that my balance goes into the hand basket (and that's if lucky other wise its almost chance luck that someone who knows me notices i'm active strange and has me check).
I was just like that... But since LcHf diet my BG levels are tight, I try to keep them between 4.5 and 6.0. Now, if I am around 7.0 I feel yuk, like having a hangover, and constantly wanting to wee. I guess your body gets used to constant changes, but notices infrequent ones.

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. Requested a GAD test in November, came back very high 2,000+, doc said I would be T1 within weeks, but presently still LADA. On a LcHf diet taking no insulin or medication, and striving to keep my BS readings as low as possible in order to keep as many insulin making pancreas beta cells as possible for as long as I can.

emmytech

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apart from the thirst/ tiredness, my easiest to spot symptoms are really aching legs (build up of lactic acid) like I have just run a marathon or something, and a very "sticky" mouth - kind of like my saliva has turned to syrup. Not pleasant at all :(

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
I find it very hard to breath, painful chest, heavy breathing. Very tired. Feel sick. Thirsty obviously. Achy muscles and joints. Sensitive to light sometimes. Splitting headache. My head feels foggy, like I'm too tired to concentrate.

Oh, but only when I have ketones. Some times I can go to 15/16 and feel absolutely fine. Because I don't have ketones.

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't say thank you
I get a warm feeling like a burning inside when high and like some other's I get real cranky.

I guess it's different for each person but it's good to know the warning signs

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't say thank you
Another thing is and I hope it's ok to plug an app on here.

I use myfitnesspal (all one word) app it helps me control my sugar because telling the app what you are eating helps it work out your carbs fat and protein for the day and since using it I have reduced my insulin by at least 8 to 10 units a day.

Reactions: 4 people

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
I use diabetik app. It does a very similar thing.

I am useless at recording everything in a log book on paper, but I always have my phone on me and it's easy.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes when my blood sugar is high, I feel hypo: I feel uneasy and anxious but can't say why. Other times, I don't feel hypo but feel tired and want to sleep, hot-eyed and plain unwell. Can't face any exercise, just want to sit or sleep, and rest. When very high, HI on the meter, there's usually some pressing or social reason why I'm not looking after myself properly and that contributes to anxiety and wanting to stop and sort myself out. A stressful lifestyle is very much a no-no for this diabetic, me, and it's something that maybe doesn't apply to all those with diabetes. I think that it's a health aspect however that is not very much talked about.

Adele99

When. I was young I didn't really notice if my BS levels were high unless they stayed high for a day or two.then I'd get thirsty and start to feel tired. Now it's a different story, really sickly, faint when I stand up, and legs feel like lead . Not sure if sticky sugary blood makes it harder for blood to get through my furred up arteries.

I'd rather have a low blood sugar than a high one. By high I mean anything over 20.

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hate being high, much prefer the feeling of being around 4. Anything over 10 and I start to feel dry, get aching limbs and could easily go to sleep. I can also get a little grumpy. One other strange symptom is I get extra horny, not ideal if in public situations.