1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How do you feel when high?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Indiana91, Jul 9, 2014.

1. eddie1968

eddie1968 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Very funny Indiana....I'm contemplating some extreme-ironing next time BG's are 12 mmol > lol:wacky:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Indiana91

Indiana91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I hate housework but it's an incentive I must say!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. Miss90

Miss90 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Woke up last night very high - 20.1 - and felt very tired, groggy and thirsty. These are my normal 'high' symptoms.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 2
  4. Nyxks

Nyxks Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I spent to long high that now I don't really notice when I go high less its over 15 then I might notice it (development of migraine maybe) the same goes for lows, I don't notice till I'm ultra low 2.5 area that I've gone low = annoying and the only way I know is that my balance goes into the hand basket (and that's if lucky other wise its almost chance luck that someone who knows me notices i'm active strange and has me check).

• Like Like x 2
  5. dtennant9

dtennant9 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I sometimes confuse being high for being low, I was 15.4 at bedtime last night but thought I might have been low before I tested.
    The main things that I sometimes notice different when high are very hungry and tired.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

It's funny you mention this..

Many years ago I had a pet hamster.. This thing developed an audible squeaky wheeze & became very weak in its hind legs..
    So I took it to the vet who diagnosed a chest infection to which the animal was put on a course of antibiotics which were put in its water supply...

My point being. Though I don't feel it in my chest when high. I do feel it in my legs like I have done a heavy day running/cycling..?
    I feel lethargic & tired too.. With a pinch of "techyness".

The hamster made a miraculous recovery..! :D

• Like Like x 2
  7. Indiana91

Glad the hamster got sorted! Haha

Indiana x

8. eddie1968

eddie1968 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Now that they are planning to give Type 2 diabetics gastric-bands I am going to suggest that the NHS buys a couple of thousand irons, ironing boards and vacuum cleaners to tackle the epidemic and save millions of ££s lol lol. I am mad and I know it lol :p:wacky:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Indiana91

Dragons den with something like that!

Indiana x

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ian DP

Ian DP LADA · Well-Known Member

I was just like that... But since LcHf diet my BG levels are tight, I try to keep them between 4.5 and 6.0. Now, if I am around 7.0 I feel yuk, like having a hangover, and constantly wanting to wee. I guess your body gets used to constant changes, but notices infrequent ones.

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. Requested a GAD test in November, came back very high 2,000+, doc said I would be T1 within weeks, but presently still LADA. On a LcHf diet taking no insulin or medication, and striving to keep my BS readings as low as possible in order to keep as many insulin making pancreas beta cells as possible for as long as I can.

11. drahawkins_1973

drahawkins_1973 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

12. Donna1

Donna1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I find i get a horrible taste in my mouth i feel nauseous and full, plus. Tired n blurry vision?

• Like Like x 2
  13. emmytech

emmytech Type 1 · Newbie

Apart from the thirst/ tiredness, my easiest to spot symptoms are really aching legs (build up of lactic acid) like I have just run a marathon or something, and a very "sticky" mouth - kind of like my saliva has turned to syrup. Not pleasant at all :(

• Like Like x 2
  14. amberzak

amberzak Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I find it very hard to breath, painful chest, heavy breathing. Very tired. Feel sick. Thirsty obviously. Achy muscles and joints. Sensitive to light sometimes. Splitting headache. My head feels foggy, like I'm too tired to concentrate.

Oh, but only when I have ketones. Some times I can go to 15/16 and feel absolutely fine. Because I don't have ketones.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Gary25566

Gary25566 Type 2 · Active Member

I get a warm feeling like a burning inside when high and like some other's I get real cranky.

I guess it's different for each person but it's good to know the warning signs

• Like Like x 2
  16. Gary25566

Gary25566 Type 2 · Active Member

Another thing is and I hope it's ok to plug an app on here.

I use myfitnesspal (all one word) app it helps me control my sugar because telling the app what you are eating helps it work out your carbs fat and protein for the day and since using it I have reduced my insulin by at least 8 to 10 units a day.

• Like Like x 4
  17. amberzak

amberzak Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use diabetik app. It does a very similar thing.

I am useless at recording everything in a log book on paper, but I always have my phone on me and it's easy.

• Like Like x 2
  18. lizdeluz

lizdeluz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sometimes when my blood sugar is high, I feel hypo: I feel uneasy and anxious but can't say why. Other times, I don't feel hypo but feel tired and want to sleep, hot-eyed and plain unwell. Can't face any exercise, just want to sit or sleep, and rest. When very high, HI on the meter, there's usually some pressing or social reason why I'm not looking after myself properly and that contributes to anxiety and wanting to stop and sort myself out. A stressful lifestyle is very much a no-no for this diabetic, me, and it's something that maybe doesn't apply to all those with diabetes. I think that it's a health aspect however that is not very much talked about.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Adele99

Adele99 · Well-Known Member

When. I was young I didn't really notice if my BS levels were high unless they stayed high for a day or two.then I'd get thirsty and start to feel tired. Now it's a different story, really sickly, faint when I stand up, and legs feel like lead . Not sure if sticky sugary blood makes it harder for blood to get through my furred up arteries.

I'd rather have a low blood sugar than a high one. By high I mean anything over 20.

• Like Like x 4
  20. adrian29459

adrian29459 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I hate being high, much prefer the feeling of being around 4. Anything over 10 and I start to feel dry, get aching limbs and could easily go to sleep. I can also get a little grumpy. One other strange symptom is I get extra horny, not ideal if in public situations.

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook