1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How do you feel when high?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Indiana91, Jul 9, 2014.

1. PaulinaB

PaulinaB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Lactic acid? I'll have to read up on it! My DN said that it's "very unusual" that my legs hurt! Finally got some answers! Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  2. steven taylor

steven taylor Type 1 · Member

How do I feel when high? Well if explaining to a non diabetic I will say... "just like you feel after you have eaten a massive xmas dinner and feel like sleeping it off in front of the tv!"

3. ohitsnicola

ohitsnicola Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thought i was the only with the chest tightness, feel tiredness, thirsty, moody and generally like **** lol!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 6
  4. JRW

JRW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This if through food.

Have run very high on stress hormones though, 20+ based solely on that having had basal and no food but bg >20mmol.

5. Gary25566

Gary25566 Type 2 · Active Member

You sure that's not low blood pressure ? I feel like this if my sugar is low

6. Gary25566

Gary25566 Type 2 · Active Member

Pmsl it's the first time I have heard of high blood sugars making anyone horny
    Most diabetics can't raise a smile with high sugars lol

7. adrian29459

adrian29459 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Certainly is odd but its something I've noticed over the years and I try to avoid eating lots of bad food in public areas. One more feeling I get is if I have high blood sugars during the night I have very vivid dreams. Kind of makes me want to get high blood sugars, I have little or no dreams when at normal levels.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Indiana91

Indiana91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten I started this thread!
    Some very interesting replies, glad I'm not the only one with those symptoms :)

Indiana x

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bogusman

Bogusman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My legs feel heavy and I can smell amonia! I never check my bs when I get this, which is once in a blue moon, because I don't want a shock.

10. Bogusman

Bogusman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I also can't stop laughing and put on Zappa's "We're only in it for the money", oh sorry, wrong high :)

11. XIX

XIX Type 1 · Active Member

I feel absolutely fine when I'm actually high, but my hypo symptoms are the 'typical' high BG ones - chest pain, tiredness/sleepiness etc...

12. Seriously_Sax1989

Seriously_Sax1989 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Haha my boyfriend would be a lot happier if I felt horny when high! Instead I'm snappy, quick tempered and even the sound of him breathing "too loudly" winds me up!

• Like Like x 2
  13. carolo

carolo Type 1 · Newbie

I have the same symptom when high, I get horny too.
    I asked my endocrinologist about it and she had never had anyone with that sign for high blood sugars and she couldn't explain it.

14. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I feel thirsty and sick too.

15. asyarlk

asyarlk Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just coming down after a high- not enough insulin for a croissant. Went to 13mmol. I didn't feel any different but very grumpy as being that high stresses me out!

16. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

A year ago I would have just said "feeling ill".
    Today I have a list and every high leaves me in a different mess. What's common is horrific thrush with a swollen vein extremely hot and itchy. On occasion I have had a different vein in my internal cheek swell and cause toothache. I get very achy feet and jumpy legs. I have had a feeling of insects running around under my skin in my core area and legs/arms. I have also experienced a sharp pain behind my left eye.
    When I was undiagnosed I wanted to gorge on high sugary foods until I fell asleep.
    Because every high left me feeling a different inconvenience my poor partner didn't know if he was in luck or not. lol

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook