Diabetes in Films and on TV

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm really interested in watching any films or TV episodes that feature Type 1 Diabetes. Please post them below if you know of any! I've found lists of films online that feature Type 1 Diabetics but thought it would be handy asking in case somebody remembers a certain episode of a show or series that features Diabetes. Many thanks! Really interested in watching some. :)

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would also like to post a quick message to say a massive THANKYOU for everyone's replies on my last thread. The responses truly were overwhelming. Thankyou! x

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There was a film with Jody Foster whereby she and her daughter had to lock themselves in a safe room when the house was being burgled, can't think what they called it but her daughter had type 1 diabetes in the film.

The following is a light-hearted look at the type 1 diabetes from a female perspective:

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good old Google, the film was called Panic Room.

byte83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is an episode of NCIS that has it in. It's the one where the witness is a blind photographer. Also a episode csi Miami mentions it as well.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know its not TV or Film as you'd asked but one of the characters in some of Karin Slaughter's books is a type 1 diabetic.
I've only read one of her books but it seemed to portray it fairly well.
I did read the book when I was in hospital in the process of being diagnosed with Type 1 so had a limited knowledge of it at that time.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A film called The Experiment. I don't want to spoil it by telling you how it ended but the diabetic died.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
THE WITCHES, ( children's film) the grandmother was diagnosed with Type 2, good film, but inaccurate medical information imo.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The film Species. The diabetic guy gets brutally murdered by the alien hybrid after she picks him up in a club.
The film Warlock. There is a main charactor who's diabetic. I won't spoil it for you, but she saves the world.
The movie Con Air. There is a T1 who needs insulin.. Funny enough the hero happens to find a supply in an aircraft hanger??

None of the above were particularly sensitive to the medical facts..

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Body of Proof, an American crime series. Megan Hunt, the medical examiner, has a teenage daughter Lacey who is diagnosed T1. A small part so not critical to the story, but handled OK I thought.

babyboscher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There is an episode of NCIS that has it in. It's the one where the witness is a blind photographer. Also a episode csi Miami mentions it as well.

Agree! CSI Miami has it where the taxi driver was diabetic and was suffering DKA. I love CSI and so exciting watching an episode with diabetes related!! :D

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
NobleHead - super video - made me laugh :)

I only thought Steel Magnolias - which is a bit depressing! I'm never that impressed with the way diabetics are portrayed on TV - stuff always gets lost in the wash if you get what I mean and the world is so straightforward take insulin and ta-dah they are fine (whereas the Utube video is more like it :) you don't see any of that on TV - especially on medical dramas! - but then maybe I've missed some really good portrayals :) )

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was also going to say steel magnolis with Julia Roberts, I seen it when I was young I can't remember anything about it but I remember me mam going mad id watched it when she told me not to cos I don't think it's too nice. Emmerdale has a character that is diabetic but they only seen to mention it once in a blue moon n I find myself watching it saying whys she eating that when she hasn't tested her blood, look at all that alcohol she's drinking her readings must be shocking I agree with someone above that said they don't think film& tv portray it very good at all. I saw a Jim Carey film the other day (can't remember the name) and he wasn't diabetic but injected insulin to escape being arrested or something and started foaming at the mouth

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was also going to say steel magnolis with Julia Roberts, I seen it when I was young I can't remember anything about it but I remember me mam going mad id watched it when she told me not to cos I don't think it's too nice. Emmerdale has a character that is diabetic but they only seen to mention it once in a blue moon n I find myself watching it saying whys she eating that when she hasn't tested her blood, look at all that alcohol she's drinking her readings must be shocking I agree with someone above that said they don't think film& tv portray it very good at all. I saw a Jim Carey film the other day (can't remember the name) and he wasn't diabetic but injected insulin to escape being arrested or something and started foaming at the mouth

There was a scene in "Porkys" where one of the guys being drunk & under age jabbering face down on the bar attracts the attention of a local county police officer... His mates thinking on their feet, lie telling the copper he's "a little diabetic. & just needs sugar"...

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Good old Google, the film was called Panic Room.
Was panic room the one where they tried to inject insulin while someone was having a hypo?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Was panic room the one where they tried to inject insulin while someone was having a hypo?

Yes it was, they got it all wrong and I think the pen was meant to be glucagon injection :rolleyes:

User4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I saw that (emmerdale) today, she was going on a picnic with her new boyfriend. In a later scene she was crying to her friend that everything was fine until he got the cakes out. Apparently she hasn't told him that dark dirty secret.