Lightheaded because of sugar???

Isn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all

So for the last year i have been experiencing light headed episodes. Doctor says its either cuz of anxiety or my body and flucating glucose levels. So i have been strict with diet and doing low carb as best as i can. So today i ate a cookie and about 15 mins later i got a light headed episode. Is this because the cookie had sugar in it? I checked my level and it was 7 thankfully

Im trying to figure out if the lightheadness comes and goes because my body is all over the place with my levels. I have checked the levels during an episode and they are usually fine.

Any thoughts?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Check BP ?
It doesn't sound BG related if your levels are usually fine. My first thought was low BG because you need to eat

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Bp is 129/84. Blood pressure has always been okay thankfully

Ah ... but is in 129/84 all the time? Have you got a home monitor? I have, and mine fluctuates all day, from around 109 systolic to 129 systolic. I know if I have light headed moments it is my BP dropping.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It can be a symptom of low BSLs as well as spikes. I suffered from lightheadedness because of the variation of my BSLs.
Try and Reduce your carb intake and try and keep it in control.

Isn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey all

The times the doctor has checked its been good. I now have a home monitor and last night it was that number. Is that an okay number?

As for salt. How much should I be having?

Thanks

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
i read somewhere on here if you get light headed on low carbs to increase salt for a while, cant say by how much i just guess, i was feeling light headed and it worked, i never even thought of trying blood pressure. hope you feel ok soon, sorry for not getting back sooner

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
Hey all

The times the doctor has checked its been good. I now have a home monitor and last night it was that number. Is that an okay number?

As for salt. How much should I be having?

Thanks

Test both your sugar and your BP next time it happens - at that moment.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I could imagine that the low carb leading to low salt is a result of the amount of salt that is added to many high carb foods such as chips, pasta sauces, bread, biscuits etc. which means people in general have become used to a high salt diet. Plenty of dry cured fried bacon might help.

Reactions: 2 people

enamor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm glad I've seen this post, I've been experiencing the same, feels like the start of hypo but when testing I'm fine.
I've been told I've low blood pressure but have never experienced symptoms (that I know of). My levels are also erratic but I find symptoms of bg levels appear in relation to where I'm at at the time not on an overall basis.
All I can suggest is trust your gut, if you're feeling it then it is there, talk it through with your gp or hospital clinic again.