been told by gp diabetes type 2 have no hypo

spirits

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if a gp says to you,you will not suffer a hypo as a type 2 diabetic,whether on tablets or insulin,what message does this give to the patient besides being advised not to check bloods, is this wrong? I think it is as this has happened to me today. I have experienced the start of hypo glucose going below 3.5 yet my gp says i am not and will not go hypo.what do you think here have you had a similar experience from gp.

munday1932

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
cold weather.People who criticize my town but don't help to make it better.Please can I go back to me user name which is Kentish maid
i'm type 2 and my docter asked me how many hypos I had in a year I am diet controlled i'v had 2 in 11yrs she agreed it is possible.

Reactions: 2 people

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Before most of us will answer accurately we will want to know what meds your on. As for the gp saying that type2 does not have hypo's is scandalous to say the least.

Reactions: 4 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As Crimsonclient said, it will depend on your meds. When I had Gliclazide added to my Metformin I was given a leaflet about the possibility of hypos and the need to be aware of them due to the dangers when driving. Mind you, the warnings also went hand in hand with being told strips were expensive and I should only test twice a week - no idea how I'd know if my BS was low then!

Anyway, my Gliclazide was upped to 3 tablets a day, but that coincided with me starting to get to grips with diabetes and following a low carb diet. I was soon getting my BS in the 4s and 5s, and then found myself at 3.5 one day and feeling awful. It was quite frightening, but sure as anything showed me you can get hypos if you are a type 2.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was on gliclizide I used to have hypo's and now I'm on insulin I have hypo's. It's not the type of diabetes but the medication

spirits

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi to everyone and for your kind replies i take galvus twice a day,it says it does lower blood sugers meaning to the point it should however,i have had hypo attacks,i am grateful for the meter i got to keep me from getting like that again, the meter does help a lot, iam very downand sad as my health is ina bad way and my gp does not care, i have had dihorrea vomitting whether i take the tablet or not suffering bad pains on left side upper abdomen and no one has found cause yet even though i had tests,and nomatter what i eat itis coming back out and my weight is going down, i got told i past i had a hiatus hernia then igot told recent i do nothave that,my stomach is not working as it should as all that comes back out is not digested food, i have had times i have gone shaky and to point of nearly passing out, seen gp today told him getting worse,there was noconcern from him to get this sorted out this has been going on long time my health going down hill, i will have to find a new gp and new hospital,i an in tears i cannot live like this wish itcould be fixed the doctors are giving different versions of what is wrong from tests i had, yet they read the same report with results on, one doctor recently said i have no hernia the one whodid test,and gp says i have it as it in result, another doctor said no hernia , and thatstomach not working and was concerned tohave me admitted in hospital,my own gp says different and does not think i have a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I hadn't heard of Galvus before, bit I have just looked it up and yes this drug can cause hypo's. It also said that normally it is prescribed to be taken once a day. But I'm no medical professional. Are you able to tell us what your diet is like and when you test your blood sugar? Also do you drive? It seems like a lot of questions but we need to know these things to try to understand things and then we may be able to give you some help

Tracieo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hang in there and you will get through this. This is a great forum and we will do all that we can to help. My first piece of advise is to see a difference doctor at your surgery if at all possible. Have up been tested for Crohns? My husband has it and suffers with pain in his upper abdomen and undigested food.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As Crimsonclient said, it will depend on your meds. When I had Gliclazide added to my Metformin I was given a leaflet about the possibility of hypos and the need to be aware of them due to the dangers when driving. Mind you, the warnings also went hand in hand with being told strips were expensive and I should only test twice a week - no idea how I'd know if my BS was low then!

Anyway, my Gliclazide was upped to 3 tablets a day, but that coincided with me starting to get to grips with diabetes and following a low carb diet. I was soon getting my BS in the 4s and 5s, and then found myself at 3.5 one day and feeling awful. It was quite frightening, but sure as anything showed me you can get hypos if you are a type 2.
Driving law states that you have to test just before driving and every 2.5 hours in to your journey and have to be above 5

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Galvus and have done for 3 years . I take it twice a day 50 mg In morning and the same before bed. I have never had any problems with it and never had a hypo

spirits

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi to everyone, i take galvus twice a day, i check my sugers before i eat then 2 hours after i eat, i eat a healthy diet fruit veg,fish chicken etc,i am very careful what i eat, i know crohns is in family yet my gp never tested me for it, bowel and stomach cancer and lung cancer pancreas cancer stroke heart attacks etc in family, i had last year growths removed i seen them on endoscopy cam live, when i seen the consultant he changed the story and said nothing was removed and it was air that caused a blister, my gp and consultant to this day will not discuss my concernsvwith bowel and stomach all i get told is a is ok i know it is not. So yes ineed to move
and change doctors and hospital only option i got.

TheFish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on Metformin 1000mg Onglyza 5mg I have had hypos at work a few times and when I tested my blood sugar it was 3.1 . I was told this was false by my doctor and DN ...I sat there biting my tongue as my wife tore strips off them ( shes type 1 and has been for 34 yrs ) my wife explained to them that not only had I been dealing with her hypos for over 20 yrs but I knew what to expect and deal with . so some times the DN and docs dont always know what they are talking about

Reactions: 7 people

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
type 2 dun usually suffer from hypo, but if your medication cause increased insulin. the body will go into hypo.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
type 2 dun usually suffer from hypo, but if your medication cause increased insulin. the body will go into hypo.
Do you think we enjoy them then?
Seriously, ANYBODY can have a hypo T1, T2, non-D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course you can have hypos.

I can think of three people posting on here who get hypos without having diabetes!
I used to be the same.
Now I am type 2, diet and exercise, no meds, and I can can, and do, have hypos if I mess up my eating.

Your doctor is clearly ignorant of important facts. I wonder what else he doesn't know?

Can you move to another practice?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
if a gp says to you,you will not suffer a hypo as a type 2 diabetic,whether on tablets or insulin,what message does this give to the patient besides being advised not to check bloods, is this wrong? I think it is as this has happened to me today. I have experienced the start of hypo glucose going below 3.5 yet my gp says i am not and will not go hypo.what do you think here have you had a similar experience from gp.
A hypo according to this website iss under 4. This happened to me. I had lost a lot of weight and was low carbing. My metformin was consequently reduced from 3 to 1. Perhaps your dose is too high?

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i sees the normal range reference of the hba1c. the range starts from 3. i ask the doctor, and he replied me that hypo is dependence of individual symptoms.

Aberhonddu

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
liars, cheats and abusers
I have been T2 since 2008 and early 2014 I was told that my diet control wasn't working so was put on Metformin. Last month I had my first hypo and like most did not enjoy, To be honest I did not know what was going on until I got home and tested, prior to this I would test once a week, now I test daily and can see better what is happening. So to answer the original question. I do not take sugar or eat processed foods and watching my BG meter I am all over the place, as low as 3.6 and as high as 13.7, most times I am borderline averaging from 7.5 to 9.5 but if I go below 5 or above 10 I start to feel quite unwell. My DN cannot understand it and suggests I speak to my Dr, but it seems so trivial a matter to bother her with.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been T2 since 2008 and early 2014 I was told that my diet control wasn't working so was put on Metformin. Last month I had my first hypo and like most did not enjoy, To be honest I did not know what was going on until I got home and tested, prior to this I would test once a week, now I test daily and can see better what is happening. So to answer the original question. I do not take sugar or eat processed foods and watching my BG meter I am all over the place, as low as 3.6 and as high as 13.7, most times I am borderline averaging from 7.5 to 9.5 but if I go below 5 or above 10 I start to feel quite unwell. My DN cannot understand it and suggests I speak to my Dr, but it seems so trivial a matter to bother her with.

Hi,

How excellent that you've got yourself a meter, and are getting such useful info from it. :D

Going down to 3.6 would be uncomfortable for me too, even though it isn't going to actually do any harm.
People on the forum have said (and since then I have experienced this) that we often feel weird/wobbly when our blood glucose rises/falls sharply.

It is also more likely to do us harm in the long run (diabetic complications).

Can I suggest you start noting down what foods are causing the rapid highs? (Test before food, then 2 hrs later)
And what the circumstances are that cause the lows?
You will quickly be able to spot patterns and start adjusting portion sizes or eliminating the problem foods.

The goal is to keep to no more than a 2 mmol/l rise at 2 hrs after food.

Hope this helps!