been told by gp diabetes type 2 have no hypo

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Yes you can hypo. Your doc is an idiot. Have you lost quite a bit of weight? How many metformin do you take? Do you low carb?
The reason I ask this is because I was put on 3 x 500mg a day. I low carbed from the beginning, I then lost a significant amount of weight quite quickly and kept hypoing. I approached the doc at my practise and got the same response as you. I hypoed again and my hubbie rang the out of hours doc who sent the paramedic. He told me I was taking too much metformin and told me to see the doc the next day. A tsp of honey will bring you back up. But it took an hour. The receptionist refused to give me an emergency appointment so I rang the diabetic department at the hospital who said the same until I said the paramedic had been out. They then told me to stop taking the metformin. I got through to my doc who told me to carry on as before. The chemist stepped in at this point (he is superb) and reduced my dose down to 1. I have been right as rain since.
Do you eat rice, bread or potatoes? They send me all over - I go really high and then crash really low so I don't eat them. I get my energy by eating full fat everything and adding in more fat in the form of cheese and cream.
A hypo is defined on the Nhs website as below:
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hypoglycaemia/pages/introduction.aspx

CJM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Modern music, loud sounds (esp. noise), crowds, shopping
I as told that I would not get hypos by the doctor who 'diagnosed'' my T2 and put me on one Gliclazide a day. He also said he knew nothing about diabetes and to go and look it up on the Web. (That was 1995 and I know that I had been diabetic for a while, diagnosed by my wife who is not a doctor.) It was some 6 years before I was told I was overdue for a checkup by which time I was severely worse. Increasing the Gliclazide didn't seem to help so I suggested that I might be insulin resistant so was given Metformin, in gradually increased doses until I was on the maximum. Testing for blood sugar was via urine sticks and showed that I wasn't doing too badly though my HbA1c was invariably high. So, as other complications started kicking in, I was transferred to a diabetes expert and given a Contour meter and told to take random checks. It was at this point that I found I was having regular hypos, mostly in the mornings. Because of approaching kidney failure (eGFR = c.30) as well as the hypos my Metformin was stopped completely. It took some 6 months before I got everything under control but then in August, with a change in life style, things wend bad again. As my eGFR had stabilised, I asked if I could go onto a low dose of Metformin in October since when I have had two minor hypos. I now have some slow release carbohydrate late evening and am pretty well sorted out.

So, I would say that, although the originator's GP was right for those whose diabetes is 'mild' but definitely not for me.

Wayfarer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think your GP needs to go on a course regarding Diabetes. You can have a Hypo regardless of whether you are even diabetic or not let alone which type you are.

Reactions: 2 people

akphoto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hang in there and you will get through this. This is a great forum and we will do all that we can to help. My first piece of advise is to see a difference doctor at your surgery if at all possible. Have up been tested for Crohns? My husband has it and suffers with pain in his upper abdomen and undigested food.

akphoto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is nonsense; I am Type 2 with insulin and have had small hypos several times as my nurse and I try the find the most appropriate dose of insulin based on diet. She is very careful to try and avoid hypos and would rather I had 7-10 mmols/L for BG levels that going as low as 4 or less. I have clear instructions as to how to deal with a hypo and have carried these out successfully.

sue1309

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
False, patronising people who assume they know everything about me!
WHAT?!? Of course T2s can have hypos, people who don't have diabetes can have a low blood sugar!! It's true though, it can be down to the medication. My aunty was told that on Metformin she wouldn't have hypos but she does!!
My fasting BMs can range from 3.4 to 7 but my problem seems to be after my evening meal. I follow a low carb diet and I find that my last BM of the night - around 11pm - can be as high as 14.4 or as low as 6! I take my Lantus and Gliclazide and the next morning the BM can be 8!!! What's happening there then?? Stumped!!! :confused:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Having experienced more hypos than I want to explain. Anybody, yes anybody can experience a hypo or even a false hypo. It's how your endocrine system deals with it is the important part
Liver dumps, injections of insulin etc or most meds have an effect on bloods.
We all know it is the carbs and sugars that spike us. Most will hypo with meds and the rest will natrually hypo. Hypoglycaemics always have too much glucagon in the bloodstream.
The doctor is one of many that have not studied diabetes and he follows the old ways and beliefs. My doc had trouble to know what my condition is and the wife is struggling with the advice that he gives her, especially when I say he's talking b....s!

STEWBRU

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
if a gp says to you,you will not suffer a hypo as a type 2 diabetic,whether on tablets or insulin,what message does this give to the patient besides being advised not to check bloods, is this wrong? I think it is as this has happened to me today. I have experienced the start of hypo glucose going below 3.5 yet my gp says i am not and will not go hypo.what do you think here have you had a similar experience from gp.

I'm Type 2 and when on 3x Gliclazides a day I was advised to test before I drove in case I had a hypo. That was a year ago, now I'm just on Metformin only (3x 500mg a day) and diet control. If I miss out on an afternoon snack my BG goes down to low 4s or even high 3's. I do not feel well at all. Dizzy and throbbing head.I think Type 2 can have hypo's. Metformin slows down the liver from producing blood glucose and I can see why that can cause low readings.

Mrsmoo123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My levels are round the 3 mark is that low? Dr has said I habe type 2 and told me to watch what I'm eating But I'm finding I'hat I havr a lot Of hypos just lately. What would anyone ,suggest I do? Thanks

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have a read about hypoglycaemia on the forums welcome page. You will find lots of information there.
Then come back and ask questions.
If you want to search threads just type itin and it will show you the relevant threads.

diabeticsandi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
wet weather. people who lie and cant look in eye. I hate broad beans and aubergenes and underdone eggs
if a gp says to you,you will not suffer a hypo as a type 2 diabetic,whether on tablets or insulin,what message does this give to the patient besides being advised not to check bloods, is this wrong? I think it is as this has happened to me today. I have experienced the start of hypo glucose going below 3.5 yet my gp says i am not and will not go hypo.what do you think here have you had a similar experience from gp.

Hello I am type 2 diabetes sufferer for 6 years now and I also was tild I would not have hypos. I also have high blood pressure which I was being medicated before being treated. Firstly I was on Bendroflumiathizide for b/p then was given Gliclazide after I lost over stone in weight whilst on foreign holiday ( it was then I was diagnosed when my number was23). after 4 years of having occasional feelings of frozen mouth, loss of knowing where I was, clammy hands, I would have a sugary drink or a few jellybabies I decided to tackle my new gp as I had recently moved and I thought the pressure of the move (as I hadnt moved in 30 years and I am a recycled teenager in my sixties), He changed my Bendro......... for Lercipidine as the Bendro has effect on the blood sugars causing them to drop low and also changed the Gliclazide for a moderate release one . Its been more than 2 months now and I havent had an adverse reaction to meds I have recently been given. Maybe if you check with nurse or gp he can check whether the meds you are on might need tweeking. Goodluck everyone and here's hoping 2015 is a good year for all. from Ellas nanna

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
GP is talking rubbish, Type 2 diabetics can suffer from hypoglycemia and even DKA. I am now an insulin user and have been told I have very little Beta Cells left that produce insulin and I am at risk of hypos. What your GP said was a sweeping statement applying to type 2s with some beta cells producing insulin (mainly diet controlled or oral meds) and are at little risk of hypoglycemia.