No sugar at all jam ?

spaglemon

Was wondering if anyone has had any luck making jam using granulated sweetener ? can it be done ?

any recipes at all ?

Thanks

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Was wondering if anyone has had any luck making jam using granulated sweetener ? can it be done ?

any recipes at all ?

No recipes from me, sorry, but I think it can be done. You might need a thickening agent though. Try to experiment with a small portion first. (But as a Type 2 myself, jam is a no no. The fruit alone would send my bg sky-rocketing.)

annelise

K

Kat100

You could make fresh jam which keeps in the fridge for a few days...
Strawberries or berries ...with added xylitiol or stevia ...I would use xylitiol or a bit of 50% low stevia with lots of lovely fresh lemon juice ...
I guess you could try any sweetener ....all a bit trial,and error with me ....

I sometimes use the diabetic jam found in morrisons and a bit of no,added sugar jam made by st dalflour ....just a thought ...
Yes I agree that it can be done ....? But I have only ever made the above , just the once and for me it was fine ....

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
My wife makes jam ... the ordinary kind and I only have very tiny amounts in my yoghurt with no problems.

Reactions: lorraine95

Anie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought some 100% fruit 'jam' in France -it is very nice and kept in the fridge is fine. I opened a jar when we were on holiday in June and only just finished it this week, it lasts a long time when you don't have much. It was quite expensive -about €3 a jar.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I have seen, those 100% jams usually just swap the sugar with grape juice.

Since grape juice spikes me just like sugar, they are no better.

But you may find your reaction is completely different...

Reactions: 2 people

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i use berries any kind water sweetner boil al up add 3 sheets gelatine and leave to set , you could play around with this but effect still the same x

Reactions: 4 people

spaglemon

i use berries any kind water sweetner boil al up add 3 sheets gelatine and leave to set , you could play around with this but effect still the same x

Can I ask what kind of sweetener you use please ? I think some of them lose therir sweetness when heated apparently or do you just use it at the end to taste ?

Thanks

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i just chucked it in it was splenda i used and was blackberries id picked , i like the taste not to sweet but set lovley x

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Yep For jam zap some frozen mixed berries in the microwave with some cooking sweetener and some gelatiin.

Then add Worcestershire sauce and you have chutney delicious.

Proper jam is usually equal amounts sugar and fruit and boil it up until it starts to gel/go toffee.

Reactions: 3 people