NEEDLES

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Hi, ihave been diabetic for 20 years,i an on actos which is the last tablet they will give me,i will be starting injections if this tablet fails,i wanted to ask if the needles hurt,i am worried about atarting them thanks.

Clarence

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
TV
Hi, ihave been diabetic for 20 years,i an on actos which is the last tablet they will give me,i will be starting injections if this tablet fails,i wanted to ask if the needles hurt,i am worried about atarting them thanks.
Hi depends what sort of needle they will give you,I use the flexipens,and always in the tummy area,and I can say I never feel them at all,only been t2for 6weeks so still newbie,sure it's nothing to worry about regards Clarence PlymouthPlymouth

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've been injecting for 18 months. Ask for the smallest needle that suits your body weight and fat thickness. I use the smallest 4mm needles as I'm not overweight. I inject in the stomach area. Nine times out of 10 it's painless but occasionally you get slight pain but I prefer it to meter lancets. I use pens with cartridge inserts; you can also get disposable pens and I was offered a choice of which to have.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No they rarely hurt, a good practice to get into from the start is to change the needle every-time (as per the manufacturers instructions).

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No they rarely hurt, a good practice to get into from the start is to change the needle every-time (as per the manufacturers instructions).
Interesting. There have been several threads on needle re-use and views vary. I use one needle per day e.g. around 3-4 injections and I find it makes no difference for me to re-use

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Hi depends what sort of needle they will give you,I use the flexipens,and always in the tummy area,and I can say I never feel them at all,only been t2for 6weeks so still newbie,sure it's nothing to worry about regards Clarence PlymouthPlymouth
Thank you for your reply,i just needed some answers,thanks a lot.

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Thanks a lot for your reply,just needed a bit of info,not looking forward to it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks a lot for your reply,just needed a bit of info,not looking forward to it.

Pipsy, have you considered you may be able to prevent this by changing your diet a bit?
Lots of people on this forum have managed to reduce their medication by reducing their carbohydrates and adding a little exercise. Insulin may not be inevitable for you.

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Hi. I've been injecting for 18 months. Ask for the smallest needle that suits your body weight and fat thickness. I use the smallest 4mm needles as I'm not overweight. I inject in the stomach area. Nine times out of 10 it's painless but occasionally you get slight pain but I prefer it to meter lancets. I use pens with cartridge inserts; you can also get disposable pens and I was offered a choice of which to have.
Thanks for your answer,i just need a bit of reassurance,i am a bit worried about using them, thank you.

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Pipsy, have you considered you may be able to prevent this by changing your diet a bit?
Lots of people on this forum have managed to reduce their medication by reducing their carbohydrates and adding a little exercise. Insulin may not be inevitable for you.
HI yes I have cut my food down,i eat weight watchers bread,lots of fruit,I am always on the go,ive been diabetic for 20yrs,it a degenerative disease doc says,most people need more help as time goes on,

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Hi yes,I have cut my food down I eat weight watchers bread,lots of fruit and veg,i am always on the go,ive been diabetic for 20 years,my doc say its a degenerative disease,that people need help in the end,thank you

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HI yes I have cut my food down,i eat weight watchers bread,lots of fruit,I am always on the go,ive been diabetic for 20yrs,it a degenerative disease doc says,most people need more help as time goes on,

Have a look round the low carb area of the forum. Fruit is something diabetics need to be careful with. It is almost all sugar. It may be natural sugar, but nonetheless it is sugar and will raise your blood sugar levels, as might Weight Watchers bread. All carbs turn to sugar once in the system, and if you are struggling, then cutting them down can only help you. Twenty years is a long time, and current thinking is not the same as it was 20 years ago. Why not give it a go? You can't lose anything and may well benefit enormously. Type 2 does not have to be degenerative. What are your current BS levels running at?

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Have a look round the low carb area of the forum. Fruit is something diabetics need to be careful with. It is almost all sugar. It may be natural sugar, but nonetheless it is sugar and will raise your blood sugar levels, as might Weight Watchers bread. All carbs turn to sugar once in the system, and if you are struggling, then cutting them down can only help you. Twenty years is a long time, and current thinking is not the same as it was 20 years ago. Why not give it a go? You can't lose anything and may well benefit enormously. Type 2 does not have to be degenerative. What are your current BS levels running at?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Interesting. There have been several threads on needle re-use and views vary. I use one needle per day e.g. around 3-4 injections and I find it makes no difference for me to re-use

There has been many threads on this subject and views do vary, however the needle packaging does say they are for single use only, as the OP is concerned about the needle hurting it's good practice to get into the habit of changing the needle after each injection (if they start on insulin).

I use to reuse needles but don't any-more..

Reactions: 3 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I use a 32G 4mm screwpen needle which is pretty fine, they do sting but don't hurt. Hope this helps

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
if one do not take fruit.just make sure you take multi vitamin for the nutrients you need.