Ingrown Toenail

Imperial

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am T1 diabetic.

I have an ingrown toe nail, it isn't too bad at the moment.

Should I make a GP appointment or see if it resolves itself naturally?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As Catherine says it's best that you see your gp.

I had ingrowing toenails so had them removed, one of the best decisions I made after putting up with them for so long,

Anie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
S

I had ingrowing toenails so had them removed, one of the best decisions I made after putting up with them for so long,
Snap! I had both mine permanently removed last September and I love not being in pain and having restrictions on what footwear I could buy. I hated buying shoes and then finding the day I wanted to wear them that the shoes were pressing on my toenails and it was too painful to wear them!

You do need to see your or dn and get a referral to podiatry, and you do need to have a good hba1c test result or they won't do it.

Good luck

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
S

Snap! I had both mine permanently removed last September and I love not being in pain and having restrictions on what footwear I could buy. I hated buying shoes and then finding the day I wanted to wear them that the shoes were pressing on my toenails and it was too painful to wear them!

You do need to see your or dn and get a referral to podiatry, and you do need to have a good hba1c test result or they won't do it.

Good luck

At first I had what they call a partial removal where they trim the outer edges of the nail, this didn't last long so decided to have them removed altogether (both big toenails).

Ingrowing toenails are a nuisance.

Anie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At first I had what they call a partial removal where they trim the outer edges of the nail, this didn't last long so decided to have them removed altogether (both big toenails).

Ingrowing toenails are a nuisance.
They told me that mine would just grow back the same if I had the partial removal, so had a chemical painted on the nail bed.

I found not being able to have a shower for the first week a bit of a pain, so I got some surgical gloves and put them on my feet -taped them to my feet to stop water getting in and then stood in my crocs!

Reactions: 3 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf

And how,!
I see NHS podiatrist every 3 months, I had an ignoring toenail which was addressed during one of my check ups. Get it sorted, soonest, it pays dividends not to have the pain and discomfort

Reactions: 3 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They told me that mine would just grow back the same if I had the partial removal, so had a chemical painted on the nail bed.

I found not being able to have a shower for the first week a bit of a pain, so I got some surgical gloves and put them on my feet -taped them to my feet to stop water getting in and then stood in my crocs!

Nice picture!
When I had my ingrown toenails removed I remember soaking my feet every day, but I don't remember any shenanigans in the shower. Oh dear, maybe I just didn't have one that month. :eek::D

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi imperial,
Get your GP to look at it, and/or book an appointment with a podiatrist. First time I had trouble with an ingrowing toenail, I'm afraid I tried to ignore it thinking it would resolve itself, and, in my case, it didn't, and I ended up in a great deal of pain and needed antibiotics to clear up a nasty infection before referral to a podiatrist. Thereafter, I had to have regular appointments to keep an eye on both of my big toes. What happened in my case was that my nails gradually grew in too curved a shape which meant that ingrowing kept and would keep recurring. In the end, therefore, I had them removed and didn't regret it at all, and my feet feel as free as two birds now, much happier.

You may well find that your toenail settles down and can be managed perfectly well, but definitely get it looked at.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I was told to cover the toe (post-surgery) with a condom, I didn't and just had baths and slung my leg over the side :)

Reactions: 6 people

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
I'm having a procedure done where I get the bit of toe nail cut out and acid put there to stop it regrowing... ON BOTH FEET. I was uncertain about having it but all the lovely people on here convinced me it's the right decision. I hope it works and isn't too painful after. But yeh definitely get it sorted. :)

Imperial

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Went to my GP.

Given a course of antibiotics to treat the blood and pus coming from it. Apparently it cannot be removed whilst it is infected.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told to cover the toe (post-surgery) with a condom, I didn't and just had baths and slung my leg over the side :)

How did you get in and out of the bath? And sit down? And stand up?

Enquiring mind wants to know!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How did you get in and out of the bath? And sit down? And stand up?

Enquiring mind wants to know!

With great difficulty. No it wasn't too bad, just stepped into the bath with my good foot and lowered myself down with my arms, when it came to getting out I just heaved myself up (again with arms) and stepped out the bath putting my weight on the bandaged foot, as long as you keep it dry getting a bath isn't a problem.

Around 24 years ago I broke my ankle and still managed to have a bath with a plaster-cast on my foot, it's surprising what you can do when you put your mind to it, are you thinking about getting a toenail removed Brunneria?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With great difficulty. No it wasn't too bad, just stepped into the bath with my good foot and lowered myself down with my arms, when it came to getting out I just heaved myself up (again with arms) and stepped out the bath putting my weight on the bandaged foot, as long as you keep it dry getting a bath isn't a problem.

Around 24 years ago I broke my ankle and still managed to have a bath with a plaster-cast on my foot, it's surprising what you can do when you put your mind to it, are you thinking about getting a toenail removed Brunneria?

No, to my shame, I was just curious about the gymnastics involved.

When I was a child I dislocated my ankle and the osteo strapped it up with some sticky tape. Had to be kept dry. Remember being lowered into the bath by my father, as if in a hoist. With a plastic shopping bag tied around my foot. Very exciting - for a 5 yr old. :)

Adele99

You can get waterproof foot covers prescribed by your GP , well the podiatrist got me one on prescription. There's also a waterproof cover you can buy from Boots the chemist for about 3.99 which can adapt to cover an arm in plaster or leg or foot. It has pull cords at both ends. Liked the more practical use of a plastic bag , and recycling at it's best.

Reactions: 4 people

Anie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I
I'm having a procedure done where I get the bit of toe nail cut out and acid put there to stop it regrowing... ON BOTH FEET. I was uncertain about having it but all the lovely people on here convinced me it's the right decision. I hope it works and isn't too painful after. But yeh definitely get it sorted. :)
had both mine done at once too and it was fine. The only problem I had was when I had to bathe them in salt water. I used to get a small dish, just big enough for my toes - then one night when changing from one foot to the other I knocked it over! Luckily my oh was in and sorted the puddle out for me.

Good luck

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am T1 diabetic.

I have an ingrown toe nail, it isn't too bad at the moment.

Should I make a GP appointment or see if it resolves itself naturally?
it's better to keep your nail if you can, it protects the toe
see a podiatrist and a dr
Trim your toenails straight across. Avoid cutting the corners. Use a nail file or emery board.
throw away the shoes that put pressure on your toes and buy a size bigger in length

Last edited by a moderator: