Forxiga anyone?

Been taking forxiga for just over a week, and not really seen much change in my blood sugars, still hovering around 9 with odd 6 before lunch and tea.
I'm drinking plenty of fluids, and taking the tablet in the mornings.
Just wondered how long it was before other users began to see any changes?

mollycat1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
can`t think of any !
What is Forxiga ? My BS are quite high too but am due a talk next week with my nurse - she says it`s likely that I will be on insulin soon - not sure if that`s the way to go though - quite concerned about the implications for driving and weight gain.

We'll I'm no expert, but it works in your kidneys, your kidney function has to be good....think in general terms it stops sugar being transcribed into your blood stream from your kidneys, and you get rid of the sugar when you wee. I'm taking this with metformin and saxagliptin......I also fear insulin, I work shifts and live alone, so hypo' s and weight gain are a worry!

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi!! I started forxiga end of June, 10 days after diagnosed and a terrible week of metformin!! It's been brilliant for me, combined with sticking to lchf and lots of water during the day it has helped me reduce levels and keep in control!! I noticed a difference in less than a week

nucleusman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seems to work but have a very dry mouth and throat. Anyone else have same side effects?

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seems to work but have a very dry mouth and throat. Anyone else have same side effects?
I actively drink lots of water during the day.....do find I wake up with a dry mouth sometimes, boots do a dry mouth spray I've been told so I must pop in and explore that!

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP offered to prescribe Forxiga for me to add into the mix that I already take - Metformin, Sitagliptin and Humalog 25 insulin. I am also under the community diabetes nurses and said to my GP that I would speak to the DB and get back to my GP. When I spoke to DN she was horrified that my GP had suggested this because I have been struggling over the past few months with thrush and the DN said that the thrush would get worse when taking the Forxiga !! The thrush has been difficult to treat because of my high sugars and that was why the GP offered it to me.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone on the Forxiga has experienced thrush as a side effect. As far as I know my kidney function is good, guess I will just have to see how things go and as I am seeing GP this coming week I will see what she says - tight vicious circle and I never seem to be able to get out of it :)

Reactions: 2 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a slight episode the first week I started forxiga, nothing since!!

Suzie Quartly

Forxiga works by chucking all the excess sugar it finds into your urine. So you can have more sugar hanging around your bits and pieces to feed any stray bugs such as thrush, down there. I had one incident which actually came down to personal hygiene. I travel a lot and also wear tena ladies during the day. On a 10 hr flight I just fell asleep for 7 hrs without changing underwear etc. I am sure this is what caused my problem as have not had any recurrence. I have done this flight a few times since with no probs.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Been on the drug for a month now and was on insulin before I have found I too have very dry mouth especially in the night but one of the side affects is Thrush for which they said they would treat once but after that no so would have to go back onto Insulin ...fingers crossed this drug works and keeps working and yes when being transported the sugar is blocked by this drug so instead of going back into the body it is booted out in the urine

Reactions: 3 people

nucleusman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forxiga seems to be doing its job, although I am drinking and urinating on a regular basis. Apart from the dry mouth and now throat await my sugar level tests in a couple of months to see if it is working ok

Suzie Quartly

Have been on Forxiga for 6 months. The dry mouth lasted 6 weeks. Love the stuff. I am surprised Nucleus man doesn't know if it's working or not as it can cause hypos, so you should be self testing several times a day. I have been hypo several times. It is actually illegal to drive if you are on gliclazide or forxiga if you haven't done a blood sugar test within 2 hrs, just the same as if on insulin.

nucleusman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have been on Forxiga for 6 months. The dry mouth lasted 6 weeks. Love the stuff. I am surprised Nucleus man doesn't know if it's working or not as it can cause hypos, so you should be self testing several times a day. I have been hypo several times. It is actually illegal to drive if you are on gliclazide or forxiga if you haven't done a blood sugar test within 2 hrs, just the same as if on insulin.
Thanks for the advice will check levels before driving but so far no hypos

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As I mentioned previously I was going to pop to boots to checkout the recommended "dental dry mouth spray" - I did, and it's brilliant!! £2.99 and nice handy little size, keep it in my bag and at the side of my bed at night, takes away that yukky feeling!!

nucleusman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Boots have run out of spray but have a mouthwash instead which I have just bought and will start to use

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think I need to go and raid the shelves here then as they had plenty!

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Fingers crossed I am liking the drug it seems to be working!!

Reactions: 4 people

fairiesue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, being lonely, being so far from my family...they live in Scotland i now live in England (3yr) spiders, smokers,
Forxiga and Levemir 30 units is what i am on and they took me off Glimiperide and victoza...the results are amazing my sugars were in the 20s now i get up in the morning and its between 6-8 when i test. yes your kidneys need to be health for this drug, yes you pee a lot more and yes thrush, thirst and dry mouth are side effects but us diabetics know all about side effects so its all good. smile...xxx

nucleusman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes, am getting used to dry mouth. Am not checking my sugar levels at moment, prefer to wait until main Hb1ac test...on Gliclazide, Metformin and now Forxiga. My GP says if all goes well can come off Gliclazide...we shall see