Juicing diets

Robval

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just bought the Jason Vale book on juicing lose 7lbs in 7 days but there seems to rather a lot of pineapples and high sugar fruit in his recipes, I thought it was going to contain more green juicing recipes (ie vegetables). I am now worried if all the fructose will put my sugar levels up or will it be ok as not taking in any other carbs. Has anyone followed this or similar diet and how did it affect their sugar levels. Before anyone says I should try other diets first, I have and have lost 4 stone but have not been able to lose any more in past six months and still need to lose another two stone.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, welcome to forum.

How are your blood glucose levels generally?
I know how difficult it is to lose weight, but I would look at reducing the BG levels as the main objective, and losing weight as secondary. I think I would be very wary of using tropical fruits if my BG levels were not well controlled.

Robval

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BG is currently very good although I am on metformin. The juice diet has 6 meals a day and requires me to eat the following over three days - 2 pineapples and about 20 apples although they are liquidised/juiced at each meal with combinations of kale, spinach, broccoli, cucumber, watercress, celery, carrots and avocado.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BG is currently very good although I am on metformin. The juice diet has 6 meals a day and requires me to eat the following over three days - 2 pineapples and about 20 apples although they are liquidised/juiced at each meal with combinations of kale, spinach, broccoli, cucumber, watercress, celery, carrots and avocado.

Not sure I am best to advise. That doesn't mean I am not interested though. Do you eat or drink anything else with that diet?

It could be another of those 'miracle' diets, where you gain weight again after finishing.

Robval

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No there are no other foods except for adding wheatgrass and spirulina. WWW.juicemaster.com gives all the info. I have friends who lost weight on this diet but they were not diabetics. After completing the 7 days diet which is apparently phase one you apparently move onto phase 2 and 3 which is called a turbo charged diet for 14 days but I do not have details for this yet. One of my friends lost a stone in the three weeks she followed it

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No there are no other foods except for adding wheatgrass and spirulina. WWW.juicemaster.com gives all the info. I have friends who lost weight on this diet but they were not diabetics. After completing the 7 days diet which is apparently phase one you apparently move onto phase 2 and 3 which is called a turbo charged diet for 14 days but I do not have details for this yet. One of my friends lost a stone in the three weeks she followed it

Seems as though you have decided to give it a try?
If you do, may be advisable to keep closer watch on BG readings?
Seriously, I don't know, but perhaps someone else will have an opinion.
Best of luck, whatever you decide.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had a look at the site, though, and for diabetics it does recommend less of the pineapple.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
put it away and google carb counting, something every diabetic needs to learn
you have lost 4 and 2 to go, so you are doing a lot right, I think you will find, juicing is wrong
what diets have you been on to lose the 4?

Robval

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Firstly Pipp where did you find the info re less pineapple as I could not find any reference to diabetics in the book or online?
Secondly Jack I followed low carb/ high protein diet. Started Atkins and then moved to The metabolism Miracle diet by Diane Kress which is for diabetics and pre-diabetics. But I now want to eat far less meat.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my best advise is to learn carb counting
your gut feeling about it is right, the carbs in the 20 apples and 2 pineapples in 3 days, its bad news for a diabetic on metformin and gliclazide
https://www.google.com.au/#q=carb+counting

you can have meat or you can be full veggie on LCHF if you want, there are a few veggies here.
you could read and watch the video http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
not many would recommend high protein for diabetics in general

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Firstly Pipp where did you find the info re less pineapple as I could not find any reference to diabetics in the book or online?
Secondly Jack I followed low carb/ high protein diet. Started Atkins and then moved to The metabolism Miracle diet by Diane Kress which is for diabetics and pre-diabetics. But I now want to eat far less meat.
The website you mentioned has section for A-Z ailments. For diabetes recommends more veg, and moderate amount apples and pineapples. That seems a bit ambiguous to me, but I took it to mean use more veg.

Reactions: 2 people

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
have done Jason Vales 28 day plan and am amazed by the results...will keep juicing but will include home made soups and healthy meals. Have lost 2 stone and am nearly to the point of no longer being labelled a diabetic. Also bp down 110/70. You can keep up and ask questions on facebook either the juicemaster or Jason Vales. Very handy to have as there are more diabetics.

B

badcat

I've been drinking a lot of home made juices recently and have found BS effects difficult to predict so I'm testing juices one by one
A mix of carrot,apple,kale,red pepper,Beetroot,celery,lettuce ,ginger and cucumber is the one I currently drink most and has no BS spikes even after a large glass. Apple and lemon ( I think that's one of vales juices) was fine too but a small glass of red cabbage,orange and grape spiked sugars by 5 points

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
These kind of diets sound like hell to me and I pray I never have to go there.
Sounds like losing weight by eating very unhealthily.
All the best for those of you who have to do it.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just don't understand why it has to be juice. Surely the whole fruit or veg would be better?

B

badcat

These kind of diets sound like hell to me and I pray I never have to go there.
Sounds like losing weight by eating very unhealthily.
All the best for those of you who have to do it.
It's not about weight loss for me - I simply enjoy drinking juices and eating salads in summer where's hot foods like soups and curry are more appealing in winter

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For any weight loss diet, so long as you check with your meter, if it doesn't push your BS beyond your personal high, go for it.
Any weight loss if required is a good thing, then eat sensibly after on a maintenance diet.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Green smoothies don't spike my BG at all, and it consider them ideal for diabetics.

Fruit smoothies on the other hand, can have a massive impact on the blood glucose. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Even if I lost weight on them, they would be exhausting my insulin producing beta cells with every mouthful.

The difference is the proportion of veg to fruit and the inclusion of the veg fibre.

See the link in my sig.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Green smoothies don't spike my BG at all, and it consider them ideal for diabetics.

Fruit smoothies on the other hand, can have a massive impact on the blood glucose. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Even if I lost weight on them, they would be exhausting my insulin producing beta cells with every mouthful.

The difference is the proportion of veg to fruit and the inclusion of the veg fibre.

See the link in my sig.

Which is why I wondered if the whole veg, or fruit is better? Surely chucking away the fibre and just having the juice is wasting the best part?

Reactions: 4 people