just diagnosed and confused

lez39

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi I got HbA1c test done last wed and doc rang me on fri to say it came in at 69 and that im not diabetic I have to have it done again next wed has to be 2 weeks apart) . I have been doing a lot of reading and must say I am totally overwhelmed by it all .

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
how odd my first one came in at 80 and im type 2 maybe second opnion is needed here someone will be along with the correct advice x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, not much of that makes any sense to me. If I understand the nature of the Hba1c test then taking them two weeks apart is not going to give a significantly different result. Also, you say you are 69 and you are not diabetic. It does mean that in my opinion unless your doctor needs two readings before he makes it official.

Perhaps you had better come back after the next test when the situation might be clearer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, confusing. An HBa1C of 69 is definitely diabetic. Perhaps the GP is doing another test to confirm it? The test is normally quite reliable. Why 2 weeks apart I have no idea. You would have had to have made a dramatic change in your diet during those 2 weeks to make any difference.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was always told that fasting blood sugars that are higher by far then normal means you are diabetic. Was you test the finger test or blood test?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Since the post was under the title "newly diagnosed and confused" I think she meant the doc rang to tell her she WAS diabetic, since that A1C level is well within diabetic range. The second test must be just to confirm the first.

A

AnnieC

Yes, confusing. An HBa1C of 69 is definitely diabetic. Perhaps the GP is doing another test to confirm it? The test is normally quite reliable. Why 2 weeks apart I have no idea. You would have had to have made a dramatic change in your diet during those 2 weeks to make any difference.

I was 6.9 and 6.8 at my two fasting blood tests last year and my doctor said I was borderline but not diabetic as to say that it had to be over 7 at both tests

gingecoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
Tories
hi I got HbA1c test done last wed and doc rang me on fri to say it came in at 69 and that im not diabetic I have to have it done again next wed has to be 2 weeks apart) . I have been doing a lot of reading and must say I am totally overwhelmed by it all .
I would say HbA1c of 69 is indicative of diabetes. My first diagnosed mine was 128, after 4 months it was 65 which my consultant said was still a little too high. With that in mind it would suggest 69 is too!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the information and replies are confusing. If the test was an HbA1c, then a reading of 69 is definitely diabetic and little point in a second one in only 2 weeks time.. If the reading was in fact 6.9% rather than 69, it is a different matter altogether. If it was simply a random blood test, or a fasting blood test, then there is good reason for a second one in 2 weeks time, but 69 doesn't indicate this. However, 6.9 might!

More clarification is needed!

Trimley

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed last week with prediabetes my reading was 6.8 so have to go on a diet does anyone know how long before the tiredness goes.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My first result was 67. Four doctors have told me it is not possible to have an HbA1c of 67 unless I was diabetic. They all now tell me I am not though.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I was diagnosed last week with prediabetes my reading was 6.8 so have to go on a diet does anyone know how long before the tiredness goes.

What was the test and what are the units??

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
When I was diagnosed with prediabetes my FBG was 6.5 and A1c44. It took about 3-4 weeks for the tiredness to go. It'll be different for everyone, but it does get easier if you stick with it. I'm following a lower carb, higher fat diet and the weight is coming off nicely. Just hit bit of a plateau recently but I'm watching the calories a bit closer and confident it'll start coming off again shortly.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

When I was diagnosed, I was told current standard protocols were for two tests, of either fasting or HbA1c bloods, to be within the diabetic range, unless any single test measured greater than X. Sadly, I cannot for the life of me recall what value X held, in this context. So, it may well be your doctor is indicating the need for a second test, to confirm the findings of the first? Obviously, that's speculation on my part.

My values at diagnosis are in my signature, and I can assure you the 73 of my diagnostic test was considered to be well and truly diabetic.

If your second test confirms a diabetic diagnosis, it's not the end of the world. Many of us on here have commented we are actually in better shape, since diagnosis than we were beforehand. In particular, many of us have trimmed up a bit, and as well as being more health aware, we have actually been living a healthier lifestyle. I think it's safe to say that beforehand many of us knew trimming up and adjusting our diets would have been a great idea, but just didn't quite get around to it.

I hope your test next week comes back with the result you are hoping for, but either way, let us know how you're doing. There are some great people on this site who are happy to help new people through their early days and beyond.

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
my recent hba1c was 111 when I went to my Doctor foe my telling off he said and I quote "normal levels should be around 70 ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
my recent hba1c was 111 when I went to my Doctor foe my telling off he said and I quote "normal levels should be around 70 ?

I think you must have misheard!

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

HbA1c targets
Targets for HbA1c are as follows:
  • For people without diabetes, the range is 20-41 mmol/mol
    (4-5.9%)
  • For people with diabetes, an HbA1c level of 48 mmol/mol
    (6.5%)
    is considered good control, although some people may prefer their numbers to be closer to that of non-diabetics
  • For people at greater risk of hypoglycemia (lower than normal blood sugar), a target HbA1c of 59 mmol/mol (7.5%) to reduce the risk of hypos

Reactions: 2 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
are you in US? Because 70 doesn't seem right.

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
Please remember this is the same doctor who for the last five years has never mentioned the danger's of carbs