More bloody abscesses

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
So, remember I got tested for diabetes originally because I kept getting abscesses? Well everything had settled down nicely since I've been watching the carbs and I thought I was onto a winner...

And then yesterday I started with a fairly non-specific jaw ache...which by this morning was making me want to jump off a cliff. Rang my dentist, who kindly agreed to see me today...I have an abscess on a tooth which should really be healthy as there's nothing otherwise wrong with it. Flipping agony.

And now...in an attempt to go for a hat-trick 3 abscess in 3 months, it looks like the original abscess is coming back too. Oh the joys.

Anyone else get this many abscesses? I was hoping once I lowered my BG it would stop!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You poor thing. I really feel for you.

The original abscess flaring up will just be because of the tooth. Which is no consolation, of course. :(

Is there any chance you may have another, longterm hidden infection that is depressing your immune system?

My mother had a few years of strange, random infections (ear, skin, teeth, bladder). Then somehow (heaven knows how) someone identified an infected stitch that had been left in her abdomen following a hysterectomy. The stitch, and the pocket of infection were removed, and she hasn't had any of those niggling knock on infections since.

If that is ringing any bells, think back to anything that might have left a lingering infection...

Reactions: 6 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You poor thing. I really feel for you.

The original abscess flaring up will just be because of the tooth. Which is no consolation, of course. :(

Is there any chance you may have another, longterm hidden infection that is depressing your immune system?

My mother had a few years of strange, random infections (ear, skin, teeth, bladder). Then somehow (heaven knows how) someone identified an infected stitch that had been left in her abdomen following a hysterectomy. The stitch, and the pocket of infection were removed, and she hasn't had any of those niggling knock on infections since.

If that is ringing any bells, think back to anything that might have left a lingering infection...
I don't know @Brunneria. I did have an ovary and fallopian tube removed about 13 years ago, but I don't know if they left any stitches in place. However, I had an MRI of my pelvis last Friday, so if there is any lingering infection there, it should show up (how timely!). The perianal abscesses I can kind of understand because they're known for coming back where previous ones were ( and that's the reason for last weeks MRI), but the tooth ones have all been a mystery. Every one I've had (this is the third now), I've been told the tooth is otherwise healthy...so where does it all end. That's my concern. I like my teeth - and I look after them!

Other than that, my full blood count was **** when it was checked in June, but it hinted more at the consequence of an infection rather than the cause. I think I probably need to go back to my GP...might mention it when I go back at the end of the month...wonder if it's time somebody looked into my immune system...or lack of!

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh poor you. I feel for you. (and I hope you have an NHS dentist or DenPlan or similar or you will need a mortgage. :inpain:

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope it gets sorted. I had an abcess several years ago and the dentists mucked about till I had to have tooth out in end. Worse pain I've ever had and I've given birth ! I'd check with your GP as I don't think you should be getting as many infections- there may be sine thing grumbling away somewhere.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
poor you, i have just got over an abcess
they are agony

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Luckily i have an NHS dentist and they're pretty good. I have faith in them. But OMG it hurts! Paracetamol with dihydrocodeine and ibuprofen has only just taken the edge off. Now it only hurts if i touch that tooth whereas before i only had to breathe lol. Just as well i have a sense of humour!

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you considered a course of Echinacea?

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd consider taking a course for 2 or 3 weeks, just to pep up the old immune system. I have taken it to get colds moving. Ideally, you take it at the first signs of "summat up". It's often sold as a cold and flu medicament, but it's an immune system booster.

You can use tablets or drops.

Reactions: 2 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Will have a look at that. I thought my immune system might be better with all the fresh food and exercise, but it seems I'm still going wrong somewhere. How frustrating. Maybe it will settle down as I lose more weight...fingers crossed.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Gently rub some lemon juice on the gum to help ease the pain.
Not sure the plastic bottle stuff with it's preservatives and stuff will work.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't be rubbing acid onto something already inflamed. Not to mention it's erosion capabilities. :nurse:

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yowch...I think I'll avoid the lemons...partly because it would have to be a pretty talented lemon to penetrate so far LOL. The abscess is right at the bottom of the root and it's completely sealed (hence everyone wondering why it's even turned into an abscess). The dihydrocodeine seems to have worked anyway so at least I should get some sleep tonight. Only managed to do the minimum 4 hours at work today (flexi time) but goodness knows how I even managed that! Tomorrow should be better...hooray!

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unless I can apply it directly to the abscess, I don't think it's going to help. Unfortunately, I can't get to the abscess as it's too deep. It's now sealed at the root of my tooth, under a temporary filling and there's no sign of it on my gum. So, something topical isn't really going to work, though I appreciate your help.

Painkillers now working so hoping that with a good night sleep tonight, some good food and exercise etc, I can get this to heal nicely.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are your fillings made of?

Someone I worked with a few years ago had to have all her grey metal fillings removed and replaced - with gold - cos of allergy to the filling stuff. Think she was getting abscesses, but can't remember the details...