More bloody abscesses

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
What are your fillings made of?

Someone I worked with a few years ago had to have all her grey metal fillings removed and replaced - with gold - cos of allergy to the filling stuff. Think she was getting abscesses, but can't remember the details...
It's an amalgum one...I have 2 of them. The other one is fine. I can't believe I'm having so much trouble with them...really stops me veering off my healthy lifestyle though! I've had 1 week approaching my old lifestyle, due to travel and holiday etc and this is what happens! Back to my new lifestyle!

Reactions: 2 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What a week! Lots of pain but finally some answers too. MRI results showed why I keep getting the same abscess in the same place. Scan shows there is still infection there and that although it does't look big on the surface (hence why everyone refers to it as small even though it's bloody painful) it's apparently quite deep and also extends for a few cm into a fistula (a tunnel). So next step is likely to be surgery...not looking forward to that! Seeing surgeon in 2 weeks to discuss the options. *Gulp*

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh no Loobles. I am cringing just reading it, but at least you know what you are up against now. Good luck x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ouch!
We'll be rooting for you!

Oops. Bit of an un intended pun...

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Could be another case for Manuka honey?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a week! Lots of pain but finally some answers too. MRI results showed why I keep getting the same abscess in the same place. Scan shows there is still infection there and that although it does't look big on the surface (hence why everyone refers to it as small even though it's bloody painful) it's apparently quite deep and also extends for a few cm into a fistula (a tunnel). So next step is likely to be surgery...not looking forward to that! Seeing surgeon in 2 weeks to discuss the options. *Gulp*

Oh bother!

But, on the upside, it's likely there is an end in sight, rather than just repeat medication. All those infections can't be helping your overall wellbeing.

Just think how amazing you will feel when your rid of the sepsis and with your bloods in shape. :D

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
try clove oil - it is wonderful for numbing any tooth ache

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
That's one of the things that gave me diabetes! Ate loads of it on chemo to help the low immunity. It didn't work, but I enjoyed it. ;)
I was thinking more of smearing it on the abscess rather than eating it!

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Could be another case for Manuka honey?
Been there, done it LOL. That was the first thing I tried. Problem is it can't get to the really deep infection so it just comes back every time.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh bother!

But, on the upside, it's likely there is an end in sight, rather than just repeat medication. All those infections can't be helping your overall wellbeing.

Just think how amazing you will feel when your rid of the sepsis and with your bloods in shape. :D
Absolutely, cos right now I feel pretty grotty all the time and with my temperature up and down all the time it's difficult to sleep and my work is suffering...but I can't just go off sick till it's done. Kindof got used to feeling grotty but I am looking forward to feeling better!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely, cos right now I feel pretty grotty all the time and with my temperature up and down all the time it's difficult to sleep and my work is suffering...but I can't just go off sick till it's done. Kindof got used to feeling grotty but I am looking forward to feeling better!

I'm assuming you have employer PMI? Surely, they'll pick up the costs, and thereby minimise any waits?

K

Kat100

Luckily i have an NHS dentist and they're pretty good. I have faith in them. But OMG it hurts! Paracetamol with dihydrocodeine and ibuprofen has only just taken the edge off. Now it only hurts if i touch that tooth whereas before i only had to breathe lol. Just as well i have a sense of humour!
Hope you feel,better soon and can feel pain free, we should not have to,feel all this pain but we do until we find the cause ..
Good job you know something about what you are dealing with ...Take care ...x

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm assuming you have employer PMI? Surely, they'll pick up the costs, and thereby minimise any waits?
No, our scheme doesn't come in till 2016. The CBT and dietician were paid for out of our department's "slush fund" but it doesn't extend to paying for surgery or anything really expensive. Hoping this is resolved by 2016!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, our scheme doesn't come in till 2016. The CBT and dietician were paid for out of our department's "slush fund" but it doesn't extend to paying for surgery or anything really expensive. Hoping this is resolved by 2016!

What a shame.

When I was managing people, I have paid for a couple of lots of surgery (one back and one knee) because, frankly, the cost of the surgery (in both cases, even the back, they were in and out quickly) was less than the impact of the suffers' absence and impaired performance. I tended to manage busy people (or did I just keep them that way ;)), so unplanned absences can pinch quite quickly.

It might be worth asking for a fixed cost when you see the surgeon; especially if you are feeling ground down by it all.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What a shame.

When I was managing people, I have paid for a couple of lots of surgery (one back and one knee) because, frankly, the cost of the surgery (in both cases, even the back, they were in and out quickly) was less than the impact of the suffers' absence and impaired performance. I tended to manage busy people (or did I just keep them that way ;)), so unplanned absences can pinch quite quickly.

It might be worth asking for a fixed cost when you see the surgeon; especially if you are feeling ground down by it all.
I know this surgeon does do private surgery but I can't afford it personally right now. I hate taking time off sick though as I love my job. Luckliy our Occ Health are really good and work well with us to keep us working on the jobs that we can. My job is prob 85% desk and 15% lab based doing experiments. So, I could still do some bits of work from home...although it's the ergonomics that they'll be concerned about. I'll talk to them up front though and I'm sure we'll be able to reach a compromise on when I can do some work from home and when I can come back into the office. At the moment, they're happy for me to do the things I need to do in the lab and then write the reports from home. Logistically, it's easier to be at home right now, for various reasons, but I'm managing to keep up, though I know the fact I'm not as easy to find can't be easy for other engineers at work. However, I do have a phone and instant messaging, so I'm not that difficult to get hold of if they want to.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know this surgeon does do private surgery but I can't afford it personally right now. I hate taking time off sick though as I love my job. Luckliy our Occ Health are really good and work well with us to keep us working on the jobs that we can. My job is prob 85% desk and 15% lab based doing experiments. So, I could still do some bits of work from home...although it's the ergonomics that they'll be concerned about. I'll talk to them up front though and I'm sure we'll be able to reach a compromise on when I can do some work from home and when I can come back into the office. At the moment, they're happy for me to do the things I need to do in the lab and then write the reports from home. Logistically, it's easier to be at home right now, for various reasons, but I'm managing to keep up, though I know the fact I'm not as easy to find can't be easy for other engineers at work. However, I do have a phone and instant messaging, so I'm not that difficult to get hold of if they want to.

Sorry. I could have been clearer. I meant ask your surgeon for a fixed price for the op, plus an indication of waiting time on the NHS, to arm you for a potential discussion at work. If it's going to be a day case, and a long wait, it may make sense for Occ Health or your Manager's cost centre to help out.

It can't do any harm to have the information.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I know this surgeon does do private surgery but I can't afford it personally right now. I hate taking time off sick though as I love my job. Luckliy our Occ Health are really good and work well with us to keep us working on the jobs that we can. My job is prob 85% desk and 15% lab based doing experiments. So, I could still do some bits of work from home...although it's the ergonomics that they'll be concerned about. I'll talk to them up front though and I'm sure we'll be able to reach a compromise on when I can do some work from home and when I can come back into the office. At the moment, they're happy for me to do the things I need to do in the lab and then write the reports from home. Logistically, it's easier to be at home right now, for various reasons, but I'm managing to keep up, though I know the fact I'm not as easy to find can't be easy for other engineers at work. However, I do have a phone and instant messaging, so I'm not that difficult to get hold of if they want to.[/QUOTE
Get better soon! :(