Pump Sites in breasts

clarehayward

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
morning everyone

I've been using breasts as an alternative site to stomach.

At a hospital appointment a couple of weeks ago I was asked by the DSN how my sites were doing. I showed her a set in the top of my breast and I said they were all fine, I was rotating them, never had any problems and I was glad to have this new site and she was HORRIFIED!! She told me that insulin causes lumps to form and spoke to a doctor. They both said they didn't know anybody who put their sites there (?!) and the doctor said (via the DSN, I didn't speak to him direct) to stop using these sites. If I were to have cysts I could be injecting insulin into them, it would be hard to tell what were lumps from insulin/natural lumps, I could be causing other lumps to form........
mammograms wouldn't be able to tell the difference, would be harder to spot etc.

I am so disappointed as there were so many positives for me:

1)A new site to use, untouched by previous injections as I've never injected there before
2)Insulin absorption seemed to be great all the time whereas sometimes on stomach varied (but that's after 33 years' worth of injecting)
3)The pump, which I wear in middle of bra, is always very accessible as tubing very near to pump and not stretched when I pull pump
4)At night, sleeping, I didn't lean on it/rub it 5)No scarring after

I just wondered if anybody else:
a) puts sets into breasts/breast tissue (interested to hear your experiences generally)
b) has been told/warned of any dangers (I've not found lots of info on this)
c) has lumpy breasts which are not due to family & genetics/ but think could be from insulin?
c) has any other advice
thanks all

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it has good blood supply and a lot of fatty tissue, in all the sizes..As you have found out it can work fine....but I think the Dr is right, mammary glands can have added problems, and a bunch of future breast screening false positives
so I'd be careful for the first few hours after putting in a new one. to make sure I didn't hit a cyst or pustule which are common in mammary tissue.

over all? I think you are better using your bum :)

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Clare, it's never even crossed my mind to use my boobies as a pump site!!

I can understand your thinking as you said never used that area before but I do think doctor has made good points, although I have never been told not to use that area if you google 'insulin pump sites' it isn't one of the highlighted areas they say to use, I tend to stick with them to be on safe side xx

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Must admit to being totally shocked anyone would use their breasts for cannula sites. The Dr is quite correct in what he says.
Simple solution regarding the tubing is to use a longer length :)

clarehayward

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
do any of you have problems using your bum/love handles around the back area? I did order some longer sets to try but they've felt sore and I keep knocking them. Perhaps I'm doing them in the wrong area?

re the boobies, doesn't hurt at all putting the site in and great absorption (seems to be). It's fatty tissue, unused and you can rotate. another option for a site, which is what I'm after. Someone recommended this guide which does say breasts can be used (see page 15)

https://www.accu-chekinsulinpumps.com/documents/ProfessionalsPocketGuidetoInfusionSiteManagement.pdf

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have seen some people on twitter mentioning use of breast sites.... Personally I'm not overly keen on the idea!

I use the stomach and love handles currently, need to consider the bum next. Can't use thighs as too painful

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
do any of you have problems using your bum/love handles around the back area? I did order some longer sets to try but they've felt sore and I keep knocking them. Perhaps I'm doing them in the wrong area?

re the boobies, doesn't hurt at all putting the site in and great absorption (seems to be). It's fatty tissue, unused and you can rotate. another option for a site, which is what I'm after. Someone recommended this guide which does say breasts can be used (see page 15)

https://www.accu-chekinsulinpumps.com/documents/ProfessionalsPocketGuidetoInfusionSiteManagement.pdf
You can have the same length of cannula with different lengths of tubing.

iHs

What pump are you using Claire? If its Accuchek , inserting the Rapid D in the love handle area is ok as the set is flat. The Flexlink is also ok if positioned so that the tube joins at the side, bottom but not the top.

I would not want to insert in my boobs as I wouldnt want to maybe start off a growth and live with the worry.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can only guess you girls are doing wrong on your boobies and bums, I'd just like to let everyone know I'm available to lend personal assistance :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
30 years injecting in bum and sets in my bum. Anywhere else for injections or sets are **** with me.

I got Accuchek. 100cm tube. Pump goes on the outside of my arms. Do everything on remote control. Time showers or baths around set removals and changeovers so only take pump off my arm every 48 hours or so-sometimes longer, although I shouldn't. I literally put them all over my bum as so used to it I can put them in without looking and can tell when they are comfy immediately. I am a size 8-10 so haven't got a big bum. Can't use love handles either. Great in bed as pump still secure on arm facing downward and never have to think of tucking it in to pj's or it roaming around.

Definitely couldn't use breast tissue.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Never thought of using my breasts but I don't think I will be trying them.

I tend to use my stomach. Also used my love handles a few times, but I have managed to rip out a few cannulas here, so I definitely need to cover them with Mefix tape and be extra careful.

Think I might try my bum tomorrow when I change a set as I haven't tried there yet! Thanks for convincing me it might be a good place to try!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can only guess you girls are doing wrong on your boobies and bums, I'd just like to let everyone know I'm available to lend personal assistance :)

I just might take you up on that Jack, if I decide to start pumping...?!!:p