Should I split my Lantus dose?

Cookiebell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I currently take 13 units of Lantus at 9pm every night.

I've noticed that my blood sugars creep up from about 4pm, is his due to my Lantus 'running out'?

Is it common to take Lantus twice a day? If so, how do you work out how much to take and when?

Many thanks :)

pdjenna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi, its been a few years since i took lantus - not a particularly effective insulin for t1's as it really only works effectively for around 20hours (in my experience). I did split mine which helped a bit, but clinic were not happy as i think its only licence for once a day - could be wrong about that, and it might have changed since i took it!

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I split mine when I was on it too. It didn't really work for me and the doses I had were ridiculous! 36u in the morning and 38u in the evening. I think you spilt it down the middle and work from there. You're best to ask your DSN before splitting it.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cookiebell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I split mine when I was on it too. It didn't really work for me and the doses I had were ridiculous! 36u in the morning and 38u in the evening. I think you spilt it down the middle and work from there. You're best to ask your DSN before splitting it.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'm seeing my DSN on 3rd October, so will ask then x

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you would tend to split 50/50 initially then test the dose overnight first.......

Lantus takes 2-3 days to see the effect of any dose change and so pinning down the right dose for both the AM an PM portions of the day could take some time.......

Levemir however can be split and changes are noticed immediately, so much more flexible.........

some people prefer Lantus though for varying reasons but it would be worth a shot I believe.......

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Do some basal testing to make sure it is your basal insulin that is running out late afternoon and early evening, if your not sure how to do this take a look at following:

http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

If you find it is your lantus and you don't want to split-dose ask your consultant if you can change basal insulins, there was a new basal insulin launched last year in the UK called Tresiba, it last up to 42 hours and is taken once a day, it's a bit more expensive than the likes of lantus & levemir so they may well not prescribe it, although there's no harm in asking.

Robert72, a member on here has changed to Tresiba and highly recommends it.

Cookiebell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do some basal testing to make sure it is your basal insulin that is running out late afternoon and early evening, if your not sure how to do this take a look at following:

http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

If you find it is your lantus and you don't want to split-dose ask your consultant if you can change basal insulins, there was a new basal insulin launched last year in the UK called Tresiba, it last up to 42 hours and is taken once a day, it's a bit more expensive than the likes of lantus & levemir so they may well not prescribe it, although there's no harm in asking.

Robert72, a member on here has changed to Tresiba and highly recommends it.

Ooh thanks, will ask about that - Tresiba sounds great!

Yes, I know how to test my basal insulin, will keep testing etc so I can see if there's a definite pattern.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ooh thanks, will ask about that - Tresiba sounds great!

Yes, I know how to test my basal insulin, will keep testing etc so I can see if there's a definite pattern.

The 42 hour action of Trisiba allows some flexibility in the timing of your basal dose, I quite fancy it myself :)

Cookiebell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The 42 hour action of Trisiba allows some flexibility in the timing of your basal dose, I quite fancy it myself :)

How does that work then? Surely if it lasts 42 hours, then some of it is going to overlap if taken daily?

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I currently take 13 units of Lantus at 9pm every night.

I've noticed that my blood sugars creep up from about 4pm, is his due to my Lantus 'running out'?

Is it common to take Lantus twice a day? If so, how do you work out how much to take and when?

Many thanks :)
Hi Cookiebell - I split my Lantus as advised by my DSN. I take 10 units in the morning and 10 units in the evening. This works well for me and if I'm doing aerobics in the morning I minus a couple of units. HTH.

Cookiebell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Cookiebell - I split my Lantus as advised by my DSN. I take 10 units in the morning and 10 units in the evening. This works well for me and if I'm doing aerobics in the morning I minus a couple of units. HTH.

Thank you, yes that's very helpful. :cool:

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you should also think about alcohol/exercise/illness.............a split dose can be brilliant in times like these.........

an overlap is actually advantageous sometimes..........

when i was on Levemir, I took a dose in the morning, then one before bed, so my AM dose was working longer, or not, but compensated with Novorapid in order to get the overlap in the morning time to help keep the dawn phenomenon at bay.........

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How does that work then? Surely if it lasts 42 hours, then some of it is going to overlap if taken daily?
Hi Cookiebell

As Nigel said, I have been taking Tresiba for about 3 months now and finding it suits me much better than Lantus, which I found didn't last the full 24 hours. I tried splitting Lantus but that wasn't very successful in my case so my consultant agreed to switch me to Tresiba.

You take it once a day even though it lasts 42 hours. There is obviously an overlap but I am only taking a few units less per day than I did of Lantus. So far I really like it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Stevo500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow so glad I joined this forum, I habe had nothing but hassle with lantus insulin since using it, dodgy results in the morning,feeling like **** most days, low moods and such like, also there's not a day goes by when I am awake from morning till bedtine, after reading some of the symptoms other people are experiencing on here, I am putting it down too this insulin.will be calling the hospital in the morning I think.thanks folks:).

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was originally on 1 dose at bedtime.
I ended up having it at different times which was giving me erratic readings so moved it to around 7pm.
I also used to get issues around dinner time with my levels going higher and the DSN actually asked me to add in extra units in the morning. So when I went on to a split dose the morning one was actually an extra dose which I didn't previously take.
Best to speak with your DSN when you see them.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
For many Lantus only lasts about 16 to 18 hours

You could spilt the dose… diabetic nurses sometimes don’t like this…

But it doesn’t hurt to try just initially keep an eye on your daytime levels as the 3-5 hour peak of the insulin could potentially cause a low…