Low Carb Lunch Options - the Recommendations!!!

rehill54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Last week, I posted a question about what LCHF food people eat for lunch. I was salivating at the answers. I quickly realised that buying prepacked food at Tesco's, Sainsbury's or even M&S is not the best option. So, this week, I'll be starting on some of the following suggestions. There are enough suggestions for a good five working weeks, Thanks to everyone who responded.

a) Cold meats, chicken drums, cherry toms, egg mayo, mashed tinned salmon, cheese, nuts, yogurt and berries, and if you eat a bit of bread then one slice buttered, cut in half and folded then wrapped in tin foil will be fine.

b) Tesco do chicken pieces in their cooked meat section. They also do leafy salads in plastic bags as well as whole salad meals in plastic boxes.

c) Nuts are low GI and a few of them might be fine.

d) Lots of stuff in the veggie dept and berries and cream can last a few days in the plastic tubs they come in.

e) Corned beef is low carb so you make a corned beef salad

f) Original recipe KFC is low carb too believe it or not.

g) Do not buy things like dippers, nuggets or goujon since they are heavy on flour.

h) Avocados are great with just about everything and are full of healthy fat to power the working day. I am rather fond of mixing sliced avocado with mozzarella and tomatoes and a slug of extra virgin olive oil. Or what about avocado and prawns with a creamy dressing?

i) Mixed bean salads are filling and delicious. Open a can of them and add desired amount to tuna, smoked mackerel/trout/salmon etc. together with chopped celery/toms/cu/pepper/red onion etc. Dress with extra virgin olive oil and crushed garlic or a little lemon juice.

j) Boiled eggs and lentils make the basis for a good salad too. I stir in rocket along with tomatoes and the ubiquitous olive oil.

k) Pate or peanut butter or cream cheese with celery sticks.

l) Take a knife ,fork and spoon in the car or office then just buy cooked meat ,cheese, avocado ,salad leaves and you don't have to worry about finding somewhere to eat.

m) Chunks of cheese with salad

n) Greek yoghurt and berries

o) Sliced cold meat with cherry toms

p) 100g of President Brie with a bag of Posh Pork Scratchings.
clip_image001.png
Utterly fabulously awesome. I've never felt so comfortably alert, all afternoon. No wilting, no yawning, and no peckish ness til about 6pm.

q) Go to Sainsbury's and buy some olives, feta, tomatoes, cheese, salami, salad leaves, guacamole or avocado, houmous (but not too much of that), berries, cream, and just throw something together!

r) Berries and cream are lchf and there are strawberries and raspberries around at the moment and extra thick cream won't harm you and will keep hunger at bay for hours.

s) The yohgurts should not be overlooked. Put the no fat ones back on the shelf and get the Greek style with flavour.

t) Salmon salad

u) Ham with cheese and a sliced apple ( doesn't even raise my levels beyond 1 point at 1 or 2 hours!)

v) Prawns and cream cheese

w) Cold chicken and salad

x) Pre-plan and take in dishes of sugar free jelly

Reactions: 16 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Great! Print it off and stick it on your fridge. Plenty of variety there.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! That's an impressive list, I might steal a few ideas from there.:)

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Last week, I posted a question about what LCHF food people eat for lunch. I was salivating at the answers. I quickly realised that buying prepacked food at Tesco's, Sainsbury's or even M&S is not the best option. So, this week, I'll be starting on some of the following suggestions. There are enough suggestions for a good five working weeks, Thanks to everyone who responded.

a) Cold meats, chicken drums, cherry toms, egg mayo, mashed tinned salmon, cheese, nuts, yogurt and berries, and if you eat a bit of bread then one slice buttered, cut in half and folded then wrapped in tin foil will be fine.

b) Tesco do chicken pieces in their cooked meat section. They also do leafy salads in plastic bags as well as whole salad meals in plastic boxes.

c) Nuts are low GI and a few of them might be fine.

d) Lots of stuff in the veggie dept and berries and cream can last a few days in the plastic tubs they come in.

e) Corned beef is low carb so you make a corned beef salad

f) Original recipe KFC is low carb too believe it or not.

g) Do not buy things like dippers, nuggets or goujon since they are heavy on flour.

h) Avocados are great with just about everything and are full of healthy fat to power the working day. I am rather fond of mixing sliced avocado with mozzarella and tomatoes and a slug of extra virgin olive oil. Or what about avocado and prawns with a creamy dressing?

i) Mixed bean salads are filling and delicious. Open a can of them and add desired amount to tuna, smoked mackerel/trout/salmon etc. together with chopped celery/toms/cu/pepper/red onion etc. Dress with extra virgin olive oil and crushed garlic or a little lemon juice.

j) Boiled eggs and lentils make the basis for a good salad too. I stir in rocket along with tomatoes and the ubiquitous olive oil.

k) Pate or peanut butter or cream cheese with celery sticks.eople

l) Take a knife ,fork and spoon in the car or office then just buy cooked meat ,cheese, avocado ,salad leaves and you don't have to worry about finding somewhere to eat.

m) Chunks of cheese with salad

n) Greek yoghurt and berries

o) Sliced cold meat with cherry toms

p) 100g of President Brie with a bag of Posh Pork Scratchings.
clip_image001.png
Utterly fabulously awesome. I've never felt so comfortably alert, all afternoon. No wilting, no yawning, and no peckish ness til about 6pm.

q) Go to Sainsbury's and buy some olives, feta, tomatoes, cheese, salami, salad leaves, guacamole or avocado, houmous (but not too much of that), berries, cream, and just throw something together!

r) Berries and cream are lchf and there are strawberries and raspberries around at the moment and extra thick cream won't harm you and will keep hunger at bay for hours.

s) The yohgurts should not be overlooked. Put the no fat ones back on the shelf and get the Greek style with flavour.

t) Salmon salad

u) Ham with cheese and a sliced apple ( doesn't even raise my levels beyond 1 point at 1 or 2 hours!)

v) Prawns and cream cheese

w) Cold chicken and salad

x) Pre-plan and take in dishes of sugar free jelly
A few weeks of that and you'll be that fit and healthy you'll be wearing your underpants on the outside of your trousers!
Watch for the green Kryptonite it's fully carb loaded ....

rehill54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
A few weeks of that and you'll be that fit and healthy you'll be wearing your underpants on the outside of your trousers!
Watch for the green Kryptonite it's fully carb loaded ....
Just need to cut back on the wine which is a more difficult adjustment for me to make!

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
All looks and sounds yummy, may have to print it off myself for himself, mind no pants on the outside please, (shudder)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.

rehill54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Wow! That's an impressive list, I might steal a few ideas from there.:)
I've notiThe folk here are full of good ideas
I've just gone back on it now I've lost all my weight, not that I ever came off it altogether. ;)
My wife has just been diagnosed with severe rheumatoid arthritis. Her medicine - which she needs to take for the rest of her life - reacts badly with alcohol so that may be just the incentive I need to eliminate an evening glass or three from my life!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just put this sunday night, vegetable frittata suggestion up for weekday breakfast, it will work for lunch too
21024_l.jpg

Reactions: 6 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just need to cut back on the wine which is a more difficult adjustment for me to make!
some of us use to self medicate with booze, diabetes and depression like symptoms go hand in hand. have a chat with the dr about an antidepressant, if you think it may help

rehill54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
some of us use to self medicate with booze, diabetes and depression like symptoms go hand in hand. have a chat with the dr about an antidepressant, if you think it may help
Wine of an evening is more of a habit than anything else. I'm a generally optimistic person, believing (like Steve Redgrave) that diabetes has to live with me, not the other way around. Cutting out cakes, biscuits, sweets and chocolate bars was relatively easy. My inner child continues to believe that he needs some pleasures in life and chose good wine and single malt

K

Kat100

I just put this sunday night, vegetable frittata suggestion up for weekday breakfast, it will work for lunch too
21024_l.jpg
One of my favourites ....I like it as my main evening meal though ....with a nice tomato salsa sauce and fresh green beans as a side dish ....now you have made me feel very Hungary your meal and photo looks great ...

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Make kale crisps. Remove the stalks, toss in a little rice bran oil and a touch of sea salt-any seasoning works. Then bake at 150 for about 7 mins or so, careful they dehydrate fast and char easily, but get t right and they're damned tasty. As well as next to watercress being one of the most nutritionally dense veg on the planet.