Rye bread and cream cheese

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not exactly ultra low carb but... omfg mouth watering delicious. Where have you been all my life??

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. I had the same reaction to Livlife toast with cream cheese.

If you want a true mouthgasm, add marmite.

alliebee

I love rye bread...I make a sourdough bread. Just rye flour 3/4. Wholemeal flour 1/4..salt yeast and olive oil....water...makes a great bread and doesn't spike me at all. Have 1 or 2 slices most days

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
pumpernickel rye, or a normal style rye loaf?
try smoked salmon and philli cream cheese on pumpernickel

Reactions: 2 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Love smoke salmon rolled with cream cheese in the middle.... don't need any bread!

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
You do know that if you run out of cream cheese and have a pot of plain yoghurt, you can strain this, best overnight, by using a mulsin or even a CLEAN hankie, into a dish to run the whey off, and next day you have a yoghurty/cream cheese.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cream cheese and mango chutney has its own sublime charm... Although, of course, I never pollute my-body-the-temple with such sugary condiments any more... ;)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

And don't forget some rocket between the cream cheese and salmon. Gives it a nice little peppery taste. I also ass some dill sauce.

Here's one with some lumpfish caviar too:

stock-photo-pumpernickel-bread-with-smoked-salmon-cream-cheese-caviar-and-dill-91960601.jpg

You can get all this stuff at Lidl!

Reactions: 6 people

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Yorksman, which exactly is the bread that you eat in the picture, that you can buy from Lidl please

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's often called pumpernickel in england but the german term translated is actually full korn bread. The stuff at Lidl is called sliced german rye bread and it's usually next to the rye crispbreads.

lidl-rye.jpg

Its quite chewy and you need the right sort of toppings, sliced meats, cheeses, fish in sauce. Two slices is often enugh, three or four are very filling. You wouldn't make a ham sandwich out of it though, but if you make your own picallili, it does taste good with that.

There are several suppliers who sell it online and these taste a bit better, they are sort of gourmet versions, ie they have some herb in them :)

http://www.germandeli.co.uk/shop/article_BR103/Pr_uuml;nte-Pumpernickel-500g.html?sessid=UYNEgJC9Plilz6R4b2MZvuaygWBYS6hskNF8rYrHw7wpPIEtxFEbVhCep39Zp2VF&shop_param=cid=161&aid=BR103&

http://www.germandeli.co.uk/shop/category_0492944ae7ca934a62044c2b6f4c8808/Not-From-Our-Bakery.html?sessid=UYNEgJC9Plilz6R4b2MZvuaygWBYS6hskNF8rYrHw7wpPIEtxFEbVhCep39Zp2VF&shop_param=cid=&

I find it very good fr packed meals with smoked ham and a spicy cheese. With some fresh salad veggies such as cherry tomatos and sping onion, some soup in a flask and then some fruit for afters, it's a nice picnic.

Last edited by a moderator:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Find this stuff far too salty for my taste but lidl does do a nice rye boule (used to be a bloomer) on the bakery

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Asda, and today in sainsburys, both have a very nice organic rye bread.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Must admit I find the Rye Bread (as sold in Lidl) a bit to heavy and the taste is overpowering, would like to find one that does a 50/50 mix.